RAW

0400, every one skunked , beautiful morning

Rate this topic

64 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

If you put in the time in you know what's up. In general its overfishing of all species. Same old story. Greedy old bastards indeed. 

Edited by Sea Of Atlas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Roccus7 said:

This seems to be turning into the Pity Party Thread, but then again, misery loves company.  

 

As one of us who got sucked into striper fishing in the 1960s and suffered through the 70s, I would just say that "These kids today don't know from suffering!!"  To me the boom of the late 90s wasn't striped bass fishing, it was an aberration of "fish in a barrel" catching that even the most inexperienced fisher could succeed at.  If you started to fish, and became acclimated to such fishing, there is a long list of tricks and techniques you never acquired or developed.  

 

Call me crazy, but I almost look forward to the summer drop off in the bite.  Yeah, it wrecks havoc with my sleep, but it forces me to start thinking things through in terms of techniques, lures, and locations in relation to tide and weather conditions.  I find catching a single fish as the result of a well-designed and thought through game plan far more satisfying than catching ten from a wild blitz.

Wise words. Particularly appropriate considering what's been happening down south at a certain notorious spot. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sea Of Atlas said:

If you put in the time in you know what's up. In general its overfishing of all species. Same old story. Greedy old bastards indeed. 

If you really think about it, fishing is just one of the many things we are losing in this country because of greed, politics, etc.   Look at the declining percentage of our take home pay, quality of education for our children/grandchildren, work ethic, concern for public safety, environment, cost and availability of healthcare, etc.   If the people who are somehow elected to run this country can manage to screw up all these necessities of life, how can we expect them to fix things lower on the priority list such as recreational issues?    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Roccus7 said:

This seems to be turning into the Pity Party Thread, but then again, misery loves company.  

 

As one of us who got sucked into striper fishing in the 1960s and suffered through the 70s, I would just say that "These kids today don't know from suffering!!"  To me the boom of the late 90s wasn't striped bass fishing, it was an aberration of "fish in a barrel" catching that even the most inexperienced fisher could succeed at.  If you started to fish, and became acclimated to such fishing, there is a long list of tricks and techniques you never acquired or developed.  

 

Call me crazy, but I almost look forward to the summer drop off in the bite.  Yeah, it wrecks havoc with my sleep, but it forces me to start thinking things through in terms of techniques, lures, and locations in relation to tide and weather conditions.  I find catching a single fish as the result of a well-designed and thought through game plan far more satisfying than catching ten from a wild blitz.

Comments are not looking for pity, just venting. same on Maine Fly Fish, NY steelhead sites, even pond fishermen. It is a fact that everyone wants catching! but many do not have time to move around or fish tides. So with out spot burning ,last 2-3 hours of outing on rivers, creeks, harbor from NH up thru Portland. more  information available for cigars!!!!:rav:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Salt3r said:

one report described it as some of the worst fishing experienced there in a decade.

Sad.....so sad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 mins ago, mickymac said:

Sad.....so sad.

30 yrs chasing stripers, first 13 I could hook all I wanted from the beach or jetty. Blues included. Now 8-10 outings are inside waters as a shore fishermen. Even Maine's catch report's if there is one, shows it down to 5% of the past. Just 5 years ago/30-40 fish outings were normal. A buddy (spinning ) avg. 1000 or more a season. YES ,bigtime change:banghd:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, RAW said:

 So with out spot burning ,last 2-3 hours of outing on rivers, creeks, harbor from NH up thru Portland. 

No doubt fish numbers are down, my 1000 fish seasons ended in 2019, but we're nowhere near the pre-moratorium abyss of going weeks without a hit.  It's been a long time since catching two fish fishing dusk to dawn was considered a miraculous event.  Definitely don't want to see that again, but don't want to return to "fish in a barrel" fishing either.  "Fish in a barrel" fishing spawns another anathema, Social Media "Influencers" which gives too many sheeple a false sense of reality.

 

Up until 2018, I would agree 1000% with the late ebb comment, but things have slowly done a complete 180° in many of my spots and now I'm doing better on mid-flood!??  Go figure, but highlights the need for "continuing education".  As I always tell people, the day I proclaim that I know all there is to striped bass fishing, is the official end date of my striped bass career...

Edited by Roccus7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We will have to work extra hard to find what's left of the bass ,and I hope we all release the ones we are lucky enough to catch.   They are more special now for the future of the fishery. Keep on fishing and enjoy being in the water.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Took a hard skunking this morning, lot of sand eels around unmolested. Bait guys had similar results. Got checked by an EPO and spent a lot of time talking with him (this was NH). I told him about a month ago I was getting a lot of mid 20s and was pretty optimistic but lately it's work my @ss off for a couple dinks. He said that's pretty much what he is hearing everywhere he goes so yeah. I did get a few out of the marshes this past week, despite the appearance of greenheads and salter mosquitos, but a lot of work for few returns. I'm learning to be happy just feeling the take of a fish once or twice a week to remind me what it's like. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, John P said:

I hope we all release the ones we are lucky enough to catch. 

EVERYTHING gets released. I'm ok with buying the fish I eat. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 mins ago, mickymac said:

EVERYTHING gets released. I'm ok with buying the fish I eat. 

Would be NICE if everyone would release....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mickymac said:

Seriously considering getting this t-shirt! :)

 

Men's WTF Fish Short Sleeve Tee

:sarc: cool.  If we wear it, will they come?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, I would be happy to take out anyone with a skunky 2021 scorecard for a trip on my boat. If we get skunked, it may validate a few things for you. :) 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.