RAW

0400, every one skunked , beautiful morning

Rate this topic

64 posts in this topic

Sand eels, birds, cormorants all over , top water got some busts, but no lips. :banghd:  Went down to 3" popper that was interesting to them, tried bucktail with mackerel strip, Kastmaster, sand eel plastic. gin clear water.1 Ct. Classic 6" shade tobacco wrapped awesome smoke.:rav: Maybe alcohol next, nope, can't walk straight as is

They weren't interested in bait.   I went from 4:30-6:00 with just one bite.   

There were 2 boats live lining tinker mackerel/zippo, another guy fishing fresh chunks/ zippo. Today they wanted sand eels only every so often. The boats fishing structure in 20' of water doing just OK

IMG_2016.jpg

I dragged myself out of bed just to get my first skunk in the last  few weeks..  At least I wasn’t the only one I guess!  Maybe the rain tonight will change the pattern again.

looking for needles in the hay stack. ALERT , forecast this will continue for a long time. Our fishery in CT is the same,even a boat doesn't help much.

Well... I ask about it being Maine as the striper action seems to be mixed or slows from NH waters and north - even when things were better? I admit that I fish mainly in MA and occasional NH and then Maine when I’m up there for other reasons. Being 1-1.5 hours away from the coast, with all 3 states, can you blame me for targeting southern (more productive) waters?

Now, I hope I don’t jinx myself but I fish from a kayak, boat and shore and usually catch enough fish to keep me busy and put others on a few. 0-3 keepers a trip on average every trip and an over slot size every other trip. However, I can remember some days when we would catch up to 150 fish (from a boat with 2 guys) in a day with 12-20 keepers accounted for and was only fishing with soft plastics and flies back then. So... it is changing.

Maine keepers in my lifetime I can count on 1 hand and that dates back to Maine’s old slot limit. However, this has only been from shore but I really do love fishing Maine waters.

My guess though is this thinning will unfortunately continue until something significant is done to fix it. ..and why no bluefish should be a part of that question? I mean, it’s as though they were all netted one night and taken away by aliens?

Posted (edited) · Report post

I spent the previous week out on Block Island with only slightly better results - one report described it as some of the worst fishing experienced there in a decade.

Time to catch up on some sleep.

Edited by Salt3r

BAIT,BAIT,BAIT, over harvested and too far offshore now. Everything in each state bait is void! "I'm not sitting down to eat when the plates empty" Around here the lobster guys would drive to New Brunswick area and buy 2-3 barrels of fish where they are abundant. Last bunch of years net all the pogies. Everything is over taken with the "Catch me if you can" attitude.   Their are stripers here, always different, for shore anglers and parking issues its tough, especially if you travel. The boats that leave the harbor daily are running all over, unless they get cell call. Now the estuaries to me are most productive .As I have said many times, 1-3 days with fish is worth it. Hyped fishing shows sometimes go from 2-3 to 5 days . You do not see storms, winds or crowds. Luckily this site gives you some input that poor fishing results is not you only. If your line isn't in the water? use it to tie up your tomato's:waah::rav:

Posted (edited) · Report post

This seems to be turning into the Pity Party Thread, but then again, misery loves company.  

As one of us who got sucked into striper fishing in the 1960s and suffered through the 70s, I would just say that "These kids today don't know from suffering!!"  To me the boom of the late 90s wasn't striped bass fishing, it was an aberration of "fish in a barrel" catching that even the most inexperienced fisher could succeed at.  If you started to fish, and became acclimated to such fishing, there is a long list of tricks and techniques you never acquired or developed.  

Call me crazy, but I almost look forward to the summer drop off in the bite.  Yeah, it wrecks havoc with my sleep, but it forces me to start thinking things through in terms of techniques, lures, and locations in relation to tide and weather conditions.  I find catching a single fish as the result of a well-designed and thought through game plan far more satisfying than catching ten from a wild blitz.

Edited by Roccus7