Quiet Saturday morning on the canal

Rate this topic

bob_G

18 mins ago, Seadogg said:

Prior to the last 10-15 years, hardcore recreational fishing was a sort of counterculture, something people did for the pure love of it, but like everything else that has caught the eye of the mainstream, the magic is indeed gone. To be honest, I’m pretty much burnt out entirely on the current culture of fishing. Bored with all the chest beating meatheads who act like they’re doing something no one’s ever done before. People with YouTube channels featuring nothing but poorly shot videos of them catching run-of-the-mill fish and thinking it’s bad ass. Dudes out there geared up like astronauts. Clothing lines. The list goes on. It’s ridiculous. 

Man, well said. Sad, but well said. :(

The Sultan of Sluggo

29 mins ago, Seadogg said:

Prior to the last 10-15 years, hardcore recreational fishing was a sort of subculture, something people did for the pure love of it, but like everything else that has caught the eye of the mainstream, the magic is indeed gone. To be honest, I’m pretty much burnt out entirely on the current culture of fishing. Bored with all the chest beating meatheads who act like they’re doing something no one’s ever done before. People with YouTube channels featuring nothing but poorly shot videos of them catching run-of-the-mill fish and thinking it’s bad ass. Dudes out there geared up like astronauts. Clothing lines. The list goes on. It’s ridiculous. 

Indeed

Edited by rbart

17 mins ago, bob_G said:

Possibly the most prime location on the canal.  Unparalleled waterfront views. Spectacular sunsets. Every imaginable form of shipping floating right by your living room. Directly across from the MMA. 

Yup, a $1m all day long.

Unfortunately the market wasn’t there then. Plus my uncle gave the listing to a friend who had no experience with cape cod real estate. Plus covid changed the whole market down there. My dad lives in Yarmouth near grays beach. Had a friend who sold his house down there two years ago. Increased in value dramatically due to covid. It is what it is Bob. All I can do is cherish the memories I had when I was a kid and those with my kids. 

Wow, my guess is that they needed a change from fishing the elbow to elbow charter outfits but are used to crowds. In NH opening day on all trout ponds feels like those picture. Like most of us, I avoid crowds. I fish to have fun, catch fish, and get away from people.

11 hours ago, K Foley said:

The constant problem is bobG's photo is an everyday problem not just a Saturday, Sunday issue. Improved equipment, spinning reels and braid let everyone play. 

I am not sure. When I became a regular in the late 90’s we had braid and gear (Van Staal, Lamiglas and St. croix rods)  that were pretty damn good by today’s standards. 

Social media, and the lack of good fishing in other places have created this mess. 

9 hours ago, gray gables said:

Unfortunately the market wasn’t there then. Plus my uncle gave the listing to a friend who had no experience with cape cod real estate. Plus covid changed the whole market down there. My dad lives in Yarmouth near grays beach. Had a friend who sold his house down there two years ago. Increased in value dramatically due to covid. It is what it is Bob. All I can do is cherish the memories I had when I was a kid and those with my kids. 

GG…….Yep.  I think I told that I was following that house when it hit the market in early 2019 when asking was 830 K.  I was surprised when it dropped to 800K in a week and  in July to 725K, before selling for 710K a month later.  Big drop in a very short period of time.   Someone wanted out quick?

I should have jumped on it but other stuff came up. 

FYI……Zillow has a current estimate on the house of 988.  Realtor has it at 750.  

8 mins ago, ged said:

I am not sure. When I became a regular in the late 90’s we had braid and gear (Van Staal, Lamiglas and St. croix rods)  that were pretty damn good by today’s standards. 

Social media, and the lack of good fishing in other places have created this mess. 

That's when things started. Not just one factor; but many. Much cheaper gear became available besides Van Staal, Lami etc.

22 hours ago, z-man said:

That’s a good reminder of why I haven’t gone there once this year. 

I'll never go back.

10 hours ago, Seadogg said:

Prior to the last 10-15 years, hardcore recreational fishing was a sort of subculture, something people did for the pure love of it, but like everything else that has caught the eye of the mainstream, the magic is indeed gone. To be honest, I’m pretty much burnt out entirely on the current culture of fishing. Bored with all the chest beating meatheads who act like they’re doing something no one’s ever done before. People with YouTube channels featuring nothing but poorly shot videos of them catching run-of-the-mill fish and thinking it’s bad ass. Dudes out there geared up like astronauts. Clothing lines. The list goes on. It’s ridiculous. 

This^^^^ coupled with the complete mishandling of the resource is why I quit fishing for striped bass 2 years ago. It's just no fun anymore.

1 hour ago, Joe G said:

GG…….Yep.  I think I told that I was following that house when it hit the market in early 2019 when asking was 830 K.  I was surprised when it dropped to 800K in a week and  in July to 725K, before selling for 710K a month later.  Big drop in a very short period of time.   Someone wanted out quick?

I should have jumped on it but other stuff came up. 

FYI……Zillow has a current estimate on the house of 988.  Realtor has it at 750.  

Here was the problem with that house. My uncle was in charge and my mom’s two sisters were greedy and wanted their share of the house. My uncle doesn’t need the money and didn’t feel like dealing with it or his two nut job sisters. So the house basically got sold to the lowest bidder. With better marketing and if the house was staged it would have brought better money. Yes I’m still bitter about the whole thing still. 

1 hour ago, K Foley said:

That's when things started. Not just one factor; but many. Much cheaper gear became available besides Van Staal, Lami etc.

The timing of the advent of social media in the 90s with the peaking of the recovered striper stocks at the same time was a perfect storm.

23 hours ago, bob_G said:

A couple more.

5163926109645560335.jpg

3066489324418419596.jpg

Bob….an interesting point here.  Just passing what I heard along to you for your information and consideration.  A tad counterintuitive but hey,  I’m only the messenger here. 

Some feel pictures like this only contribute to more crowds at the canal.  Why? Because some viewers seeing this crowd will conclude there was a bite here, or there soon will be, and they will be more apt to fish here than elsewhere.  All of which will result in even more fishermen showing up.  

A spot burn if you will.

Edited by Joe G

6 mins ago, Joe G said:

Bob….an interesting point here.  Just passing what I heard along to you for your information and consideration.  A tad counterintuitive but hey,  I’m only the messenger here. 

Some feel pictures like this only contribute to more crowds at the canal.  Why? Because some viewers seeing this crowd will conclude there was a bite here, or there soon will be, and they will be more apt to fish here than elsewhere.  All of which will result in even more fishermen showing up.  

A spot burn if you will.

Anyone who sees that picture and elects to go there can have the fish and all the stupid horsesh*t that goes along with it. The place is a cavalcade of buffoonery and there’s no going back.