jerseystriper

Monmouth County tackle shops/fly stuff

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Any local tackle shops also sell fly fishing stuff, such as backing/tippits/deceivers/clousers etc. would like to help a local place and have a local supply rather then internet- I figure LL Bean in Freehold might have such things but even that is a 30 plus minute ride for me. 

I have made the trek up to tightlines in Parsippany twice in the last year or so. I ordered a rod from him yesterday so I will be going back up in a week or so. 

I really like tight lines. Although most likely not close to you they have an excellent selection. Worth the drive if you need a good amount of stuff to stock up on. 

LL Bean in Freehold has a tiny supply of fishing stuff. It's nothing like the Marlton store.

On 7/18/2021 at 9:24 AM, Sudsy said:

LL Bean in Freehold has a tiny supply of fishing stuff. It's nothing like the Marlton store.

Hate to say it Dicks has more than overpriced LLbean and that's not saying much. Monmouth County lost a Full-Line Service shop in Redbank called the fly hatch I held tying seminars there with lefty as a guest The owners then be the owner had no interest as it never drew a big customer base and had bad Hours Then Kaput Mine was all online and made my own Clousrers Streamers Deceivers & Flash Sold  ( sacrificed ) it all to a member that I am sorry for to this day. Promises made not Kept. But still, have Dozens on hand with no use.  

Remember the fly hatch well, Dave and another Dave (who makes a very good bagel now) and a third dude whose name I have forgotten- Sort of rode the wave of the mid 90 to late 90 fly fish craze but once the local base had all the rods, reels etc they planned on buying the cash stopped rolling in. Probably the Internet did help all that much, although that could have been a two way street with selling stuff to Maine or Nebraska. Cant be an easy business. 

There was a fly shop in Pt Pleasant, 15 years back, but that went under also,

One of the Dave's from the fly hatch was last seen as an owner  or guide out of a fly shop near Boca Grande, Fla.

Well heeled area with several fly shops as I recall.

On 7/27/2021 at 4:54 PM, jerseystriper said:

Remember the fly hatch well, Dave and another Dave (who makes a very good bagel now) and a third dude whose name I have forgotten- Sort of rode the wave of the mid 90 to late 90 fly fish craze but once the local base had all the rods, reels etc they planned on buying the cash stopped rolling in. Probably the Internet did help all that much, although that could have been a two way street with selling stuff to Maine or Nebraska. Cant be an easy business. 

Dave C and Dave Fras.. were the Dave’s. The other guy was Darren who is now the bagelmaster. 

They rode the wave at the height and looking back to that time period a lot more online shops were popping up. 

People would go to the shop and cast a rod get a lot of info from the guys and go buy it online. 

The other shop was in Bayhead called Bayhead Outfitters owner was George. Nice place. For George it was a bit of a hobby because he had other business’s as his primary income. 

Life got busy so he closed it.

Dick Dennis was at both places.

To answer your question, no.  All of the dedicated fly shops in Monmouth County closed long ago like everyone has stated, as the interest waned and the fishing got progressively worse.