Avataq

Tenkara

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Any other Tenkara fishermen here?  I've been using Tenkara gear for several years, mostly on small to medium sized trout waters, but also for river smallmouths, and on ponds.  I prefer furled lines, but I am looking for suggestions on a lightweight floating line to use on trout waters.

I have been tenkara fishing for about 6 seasons.  try 65# white spiderwire invisibraid or stealth.  It can be coaxed to sink, but will sit on top of the water. I think those products are dyneema.   I have been using it for about 3 seasons.   If you want a line that is more than 1.5 x your rod length.  Make a line with 80# and 65# ...60/40%. nail knotted....

A traditional flyline will be way to heavy and thick for tenkara.  At certain point you are better off with a flyrod.  

For me the engineering of tenkara is best suited for small stream fishing.  So much more efficient and a better tool than a traditional flyrod.

I got a floater from zen tenkara. Its great, super light, doesn’t sag if you anchor your fly, last couple feet are furled with a tippet ring. Cinch tag for easy rigging. 

All that being said, its hard to beat 3.5 level line. Fun to try new gear tho so go for it. Its cheap. Super fun way to fish when hiking with my girls. 

13 hours ago, puppet said:

I have been tenkara fishing for about 6 seasons.  try 65# white spiderwire invisibraid or stealth.  It can be coaxed to sink, but will sit on top of the water. I think those products are dyneema.   I have been using it for about 3 seasons.   If you want a line that is more than 1.5 x your rod length.  Make a line with 80# and 65# ...60/40%. nail knotted....

A traditional flyline will be way to heavy and thick for tenkara.  At certain point you are better off with a flyrod.  

For me the engineering of tenkara is best suited for small stream fishing.  So much more efficient and a better tool than a traditional flyrod.

Regarding the text in red.

I have a very small stream in front of the house I recently moved in, and started researching Tenkara.  The whole time I was thinking...but isn't this just like using one of the two fly rods I have (but have rarely used and not in 10 years), with the line reeled most of the way up.

Still, I was set to experiment with tenkara and had a kit all picked out on Tenkara USA when I read one more article that made the same point that I was thinking...that tenkara's a need concept for backpackers or keeping a rod in the car, but that for most applications there's no reason why a fly rod can't do the same job.

Not looking for a battle.  Trying to get the best toy to play out front.  Per the text in red, what would make tenkara better suited and more efficient for me.  The stream is never more than 30 feet wide, 90% of it s 10' wide with very few periodic small pools. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, MaxKatt said:

Regarding the text in red.

I have a very small stream in front of the house I recently moved in, and started researching Tenkara.  The whole time I was thinking...but isn't this just like using one of the two fly rods I have (but have rarely used and not in 10 years), with the line reeled most of the way up.

Still, I was set to experiment with tenkara and had a kit all picked out on Tenkara USA when I read one more article that made the same point that I was thinking...that tenkara's a need concept for backpackers or keeping a rod in the car, but that for most applications there's no reason why a fly rod can't do the same job.

Not looking for a battle.  Trying to get the best toy to play out front.  Per the text in red, what would make tenkara better suited and more efficient for me.  The stream is never more than 30 feet wide, 90% of it s 10' wide with very few periodic small pools. 

It doesn’t do anything a 11’ euro rod with a mono rig wouldn’t do, but that set up is much pricier. I have the Rhodo which is 10.5’ at its max, it fishes like a 2wt. Never used the shorter settings. 
If you have a stream in your yard I’d just keep a rod strung up. I’ll use a mono rig, aka cheap euro rig, with my 9’ 5wt from time to time but it isn’t that fun. 
A major benefit of the tenkara rod is how sensitive it is. You feel every tiny little tap very clearly. 
I personally think dredging the bottom is a BS way to fish, but tenkara excels at getting deep fast while maintaining a tight line drift. 
Swing soft hackles is really fun though with the focus being solely on manipulating the fly into different levels of the water column using the current.

Tenkara was developed as a utilitarian way of commercial fishing in Japan even if it is being coopted into a hype machine for hikers. 
Watch “the complete fisherman” from Patagonia. Old Italian man has got it down. 

Edited by chuckbucktail

@MaxKatt

I posted a new thread on the topic.  I hope the info helps.

@chuckbucktail

Yvon Chouinard sells a rod but it is a broomstick and he really does not employ a tenkara approach.  He is definitely not the best source of info on the topic.   He is a brilliant businessman and makes some great stuff though.

In general, as with any technique it takes some time to master and figure out.  Trying anything for the first time can leave us with a false impression or a misunderstanding.  Even after 6 seasons, I am just beginning to understand and appreciate nuances of the approach and what is effective and what is not.

The techniques are very similar to bucktailing with spinning gear.  Consider options for presenting bucktails.  More or less one pattern, but how effective it is and how we can convert fish by simply changing presentation.  In the surf if I could pick one method to put food on the table it would be a bucktail.  Tenkara methods are very similar, so much so that I feel fishing tenkara improves my bucktailing and my understanding of water movement and presenting to striped bass.

On 7/18/2021 at 11:43 AM, chuckbucktail said:

It doesn’t do anything a 11’ euro rod with a mono rig wouldn’t do, but that set up is much pricier. I have the Rhodo which is 10.5’ at its max, it fishes like a 2wt. Never used the shorter settings. 
If you have a stream in your yard I’d just keep a rod strung up. I’ll use a mono rig, aka cheap euro rig, with my 9’ 5wt from time to time but it isn’t that fun. 
A major benefit of the tenkara rod is how sensitive it is. You feel every tiny little tap very clearly. 
I personally think dredging the bottom is a BS way to fish, but tenkara excels at getting deep fast while maintaining a tight line drift. 
Swing soft hackles is really fun though with the focus being solely on manipulating the fly into different levels of the water column using the current.

Tenkara was developed as a utilitarian way of commercial fishing in Japan even if it is being coopted into a hype machine for hikers. 
Watch “the complete fisherman” from Patagonia. Old Italian man has got it down. 

Interesting.  I think it's mostly really small fish, but I have seen a guy catch some impressive holdovers.  

I will watch that Patagonia piece, and I do hike in a lot.

In fact, we've got a couple tiny, tiny streams around me that were long rumored to have native trout in them.  I can barely Google anything on them, but would love to check and keep them honest. 

On 7/18/2021 at 0:28 PM, puppet said:

@MaxKatt

I posted a new thread on the topic.  I hope the info helps.

Thanks for the new post I will check.  

I'll probably explore it.  I just feel a little silly as I've barely put any mileage on my two fly rods.  My Father had a place on the Upper DE for a while, but I never learned to cast well and fell for the easy fishing of throwing Senkos for smallmouth.