pennfishing82

Fishing tin lures

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Good morning everyone, I started fishing tin lures a couple years ago and really love it. I currently use diamond jigs, Hopkins, kastmasters, and spoons. However, I was thinking about selling all these lures and just buying a bunch of charlie graves tins. Never used charlie graves tins, but I spoke with Ralph votta on the phone the other day and I was asking him about the tins he makes. He said charlie graves tins are more effective than any of the tins I currently use. Better swimming action, more lifelike performance, swims where it should in the water coluum, etc. Do you think I should give charlie graves tins a shot, or keep fishing with the metal lures I already have?? But something tells me I'll catch more fish with charlie graves tins.

Hold on to your current lineup and pick up a few Graves tins to add see if you like them. My experience is that there are many good tin lures made, most privately. Most are not tin, and some of Graves models as I recall are chrome plated steel, bite down on them, if they crunch, they are tin, if not plated.

I like Hopkins or Kastmaster, I like Kastmaster over all other metals, tins included. Tins are nice to hang a rubber sand eel off, you usually gotta' bend them to swim right. And most tins are fixed hook, I prefer a split ring.

The old timers liked block tin because you could get a shine to them by even rubbing with sand, those were also the days of linen lines and leather thumb guards, times change.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I love tins.  

Charlie Graves are pretty nice.  He makes 2 types Tin and Chromed Lead.   I like em both.  But prefer tin unless the wind is rippin.  Then I go lead.  

Of course he's gonna say his are the best. He makes them.  

They are a high quality lure no doubt, ready to fish right out of the package Vs Kastmasters (now made in China) with their awful hardware. 

Online shopping. I think Surfland has the best selection of CG tins.  But I also like tins from PointJude & Saltys. PointJude are available just about everywhere online. 

There is a great thread in The Main on tins. 

Edited by PSegnatelli

When one needs to throw tins, Charley Graves lures are the best option, in my opinion. These are excellent quality lures and are clearly more effective than Hopkins, Castmsters etc. I used to fish with Ralph frequently many years ago. Lots of fun. He is a very nice guy. The only thing he wont' admit, of course, is that bucktails are the king of the surf. Lol! :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Charlie Graves pure tins work great. You have to tie direct or use a duo lock snap though. Some guys put split rings on them but if you're going to do that be careful, you can bend the lure by accident. Search for Cary Greene's "The Rotation". I have Kastmasters and Hopkins as well, but the CGs catch a lot of fish.

Just bought some charlie graves tins today. Gonna try them for the first time. I have a feeling they're gonna be great. Ralph explains that they have to be retrieved slow. But if there's bluefish around, would they still work with a faster retrieve through the middle of the water coluum or near the surface?? Also, would charlie graves tins work for jigging off the bottom??

Posted (edited) · Report post

16 hours ago, pennfishing82 said:

Ralph explains that they have to be retrieved slow. But if there's bluefish around, would they still work with a faster retrieve through the middle of the water coluum or near the surface?? Also, would charlie graves tins work for jigging off the bottom??

Bluefish being bluefish, you can speed up your retrieve to keep the lure high and still catch.  They wouldn't be my first choice for vertical jigging from a boat; there are lures better designed for that.  The Graves tins are designed to swim.

I do almost all of my fishing from a boat these days, but years ago I wasn't a stranger to the beach, and I learned one thing from old-timers about fishing tins that partially answers your question about fishing higher in the water column.  They used to advise throwing your reel into gear while the lure was still descending, and try to have the lure already moving forward when it enters the water, preferably on the backside of a wave, where it will immediately swim rather than tumble upon entering the water.  I can't say too much about how that works for bass, because most of my surf fishing took place during the collapse years, when bass were tough to come by, but there were times that I was one of the few folks in a lineup to hook up on days when the bluefish were tough (on days when they weren't tough, technique didn't matter too much).

Can't say that fishing the tins that way were the reason, but it certainly didn't do harm.

Edited by CWitek