PSUFly

Fenwick Aetos 9/10wt

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Picked up a Fenwick Aetos 9/10wt 14' two hand rod recently from Sierra for cheap.  Anyone have experience with this rod?  Not really sure where to start with picking a fly line or two to start with.   

 

I searched both here and on Google and can't really find much at all on this rod.  I know there's the two hand rods for the salt thread on here, so I'll look through that when I have time for sure to get some general info

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have not heard much about the larger rods but the lighter stuff, particularly the 5 wt, gets great reviews.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How do you want to cast this rod? Are you looking to spey cast in rivers for freshwater fish or are you looking to fish the surf with it? Also, what’s the grain window on that particular rod?
 

My suggestion on lining it will vary depending on your response, and I’ll be able to advise much more should you be looking to overhead cast in the surf. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 mins ago, Ftyer said:

How do you want to cast this rod? Are you looking to spey cast in rivers for freshwater fish or are you looking to fish the surf with it? Also, what’s the grain window on that particular rod?
 

My suggestion on lining it will vary depending on your response, and I’ll be able to advise much more should you be looking to overhead cast in the surf. 

This will be for overhead casting in the surf/saltwater (or at least attempting to, this is all new to me).  I couldn't find the grain window on the rod - not much info online that I could find and there's nothing listed on the rod besides 14' 9/10 wt.   This is the older version of the Aetos by the way.  I sent an email to Pure Fishing, who owns Fenwick, but not sure if that'll be any help.

 

2 hours ago, DAQ said:

I have not heard much about the larger rods but the lighter stuff, particularly the 5 wt, gets great reviews.

Yeah, I have a 9'8wt aetos also, which I really like.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

You might try searching on the site that combines spey and pages and dot com.  From what I remember reading there or somewhere like it, the Aetos spey rods are quite fast, i.e. mainly flexible in the tip and are not super powerful for their rating - in other words, slightly under-powered to true rated.  Not the best for distance with heavier lines.  Folks tend to use the lower end of their line weight/range estimates for spey/scandi with these rods.  You might start with an Outbound Regular (not short) 11wt IMO.  That's a 465g head but the head is long enough, IMO, to use with a 14ft rod.  If the rod tip is too flexible to unstick that head in surf (and if you only intend to use it that way) you could try shortening the rod by 4-6" and adding a new tip.  The speys may be different but from all accounts the design is conservative vis a vis line ratings.  My preference for overhead is a rod with a thicker and stiffer top third but YMMV.

Edited by Killiefish

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 mins ago, Killiefish said:

You might try searching on the site that combines spey and pages and dot com.  From what I remember reading there or somewhere like it, the Aetos spey rods are quite fast, i.e. mainly flexible in the tip and are not super powerful for their rating - in other words, slightly under-powered to true rated.  Not the best for distance with heavier lines.  Folks tend to use the lower end of their line weight/range estimates for spey/scandi with these rods.  You might start with an Outbound Regular (not short) 11wt IMO.  That's a 465g head but the head is long enough, IMO, to use with a 14ft rod.  If the rod tip is too flexible to unstick that head in surf (and if you only intend to use it that way) you could try shortening the rod by 4-6" and adding a new tip.  The speys may be different but from all accounts the design is conservative vis a vis line ratings.  My preference for overhead is a rod with a thicker and stiffer top third but YMMV.

Thanks for all the information!  I'll give the Outbound short a try and also try to get some shooting heads to try out.  

 

From the info you PMed me, the Greys rods are similar.  That one lists the WF11 Outbound short for a 9/10 so your recommendation is where I'll start.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would seriously consider the suggestion to cut the rod tip shorter, 4-6” maybe even 8”.   At 14’ the rod is pretty long for most overhead applications and certainly has a soft tip characteristic of all Aeros rods.  Removing some of that soft tip is a win-win for improving the action and rod length.  The only downside is the psychological aspect of uneven section lengths.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 mins ago, SSPey said:

I would seriously consider the suggestion to cut the rod tip shorter, 4-6” maybe even 8”.   At 14’ the rod is pretty long for most overhead applications and certainly has a soft tip characteristic of all Aeros rods.  Removing some of that soft tip is a win-win for improving the action and rod length.  The only downside is the psychological aspect of uneven section lengths.  

Thanks for the insight.   I ordered some shooting heads and running line, and looking for a full fly line as well.  I'll give it a try first with the full length rod but not opposed to cutting it down either.   I'll update once I get everything and attempt to learn how to cast it 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure what the guide layout is at the top of that rod, but that would probably help determine where to cut the tip.  A 4" cut might not result in any improvement, but then again an 8" cut might compromise the feel/feedback.  Try it with full rod length and that 11wt OBS, then if no bueno, consider cutting a bit at a time and retesting.  Might need to replace or re-locate two of the guides if you cut 6" or more.  BTW the way to do the cut is with a thin sharp edged triangllar file working very very slowly around the blank so as not to damage or split the fibers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Killiefish said:

Not sure what the guide layout is at the top of that rod, but that would probably help determine where to cut the tip.  A 4" cut might not result in any improvement, but then again an 8" cut might compromise the feel/feedback.  Try it with full rod length and that 11wt OBS, then if no bueno, consider cutting a bit at a time and retesting.  Might need to replace or re-locate two of the guides if you cut 6" or more.  BTW the way to do the cut is with a thin sharp edged triangllar file working very very slowly around the blank so as not to damage or split the fibers. 

Thanks again for the info.   I'll take a look at the guide layout if I end up cutting the tip.   Sounds like going a bit shorter may be the way to go 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I fish a two hand rod often and drag the bottom with the appropriate T heads. I have a 7 weight rod that carries 30 feet of T14 heads and have seen others that  Are the same weight handle T17 better. I fish on the bottom when fishing flats and rivers and then let this drop down to about the middle of the column if I come across rocks with depth—it works well for me. 
 

Anyway, I would suggest getting a running line and a separate head. I use scientific anglers’ floating braided PE line that, I think, is 32 thousandths and the associate Rio T heads, the system

works very well for me and others alike. Without knowing too much about the rod, I’m sure 17 would be fine and possibly even T20, but that’s does require a hefty rod. Either way, I would highly suggest not cutting the rod, I don’t think febwick assumed alterations to be made and I reckon that their team of designers had as good a reason as any to build this rod the way it is...my friend who is a veteran two hand rod user/overhead caster and I always comment about how we wish we could find a 14 foot 7 weight. Don’t let the length discourage you, while that’s a large rod and likely not the weight I would have bought For striped bass, it’ll work just fine, keep the fly a foot further away from you during the cast, and also I would think that 14 footer will carry a great deal of power that will allow you to cast well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Ftyer said:

I fish a two hand rod often and drag the bottom with the appropriate T heads. I have a 7 weight rod that carries 30 feet of T14 heads and have seen others that  Are the same weight handle T17 better. I fish on the bottom when fishing flats and rivers and then let this drop down to about the middle of the column if I come across rocks with depth—it works well for me. 
 

Anyway, I would suggest getting a running line and a separate head. I use scientific anglers’ floating braided PE line that, I think, is 32 thousandths and the associate Rio T heads, the system

works very well for me and others alike. Without knowing too much about the rod, I’m sure 17 would be fine and possibly even T20, but that’s does require a hefty rod. Either way, I would highly suggest not cutting the rod, I don’t think febwick assumed alterations to be made and I reckon that their team of designers had as good a reason as any to build this rod the way it is...my friend who is a veteran two hand rod user/overhead caster and I always comment about how we wish we could find a 14 foot 7 weight. Don’t let the length discourage you, while that’s a large rod and likely not the weight I would have bought For striped bass, it’ll work just fine, keep the fly a foot further away from you during the cast, and also I would think that 14 footer will carry a great deal of power that will allow you to cast well. 

Thanks Ftyer!  I probably would've opted for a lighter weight rod as well but for the price this was hard to pass up.  I ordered a Monic running line and some shooting heads and plan on trying the Outbound short or maybe SA titan line too.  

 

I'm definitely going to work on getting a feel for the rod and casting a two hander before I decide if cutting it down is needed.  I found a local fly casting instructor so I'm planning on seeing if he does lessons that would help me shorten the learning curve 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 mins ago, PSUFly said:

Thanks Ftyer!  I probably would've opted for a lighter weight rod as well but for the price this was hard to pass up.  I ordered a Monic running line and some shooting heads and plan on trying the Outbound short or maybe SA titan line too.  

 

I'm definitely going to work on getting a feel for the rod and casting a two hander before I decide if cutting it down is needed.  I found a local fly casting instructor so I'm planning on seeing if he does lessons that would help me shorten the learning curve 

Watch Andrew Moy’s videos online, they’re helpful for sure. If you have the proper grain for your rod and if you fully understand how to feel a (Single or double hand) rod load and unload and the proper timing behind it, a two hand overhead cast is pretty simple and allows you to make far casts easily. It’s not a whole lot different from a double haul other than your “haul” (left for right hand casters) hand produces power on the bottom handle of your rod instead of pulling on your line. The bottom hand is what drives the power of the cast, and I’d say it has some similarities to the surf cast that’s done with a conventional rod. 
 


 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Ftyer said:

Watch Andrew Moy’s videos online, they’re helpful for sure. If you have the proper grain for your rod and if you fully understand how to feel a (Single or double hand) rod load and unload and the proper timing behind it, a two hand overhead cast is pretty simple and allows you to make far casts easily. It’s not a whole lot different from a double haul other than your “haul” (left for right hand casters) hand produces power on the bottom handle of your rod instead of pulling on your line. The bottom hand is what drives the power of the cast, and I’d say it has some similarities to the surf cast that’s done with a conventional rod. 
 


 

 

Thanks again...yeah I have been starting to watch some videos, I did see a few of Andrew Moys videos.  I'm planning on reading through the two hand rods for the salt thread on here too.  I'm sure I'll catch on once I get everything set up and start casting 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.