Surfrat815

St Croix Legend (older version)

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

In the market for one of the older Legends. Just not a fan of the looks on the newer models (fantastic rods I know, just personal preference). My question for you guys that fish the older rods with the lowriders, how are they as far as fish fighting power and durability goes? Thanks! 

Edited by Surfrat815

I owed the 10’6” lighter lure weight version. It was a nice rod never felt under gunned using it. Never put a fish over 30# on it but it would bend down to the fore grip with a good fish.  It was a good pencil rod, I used it as my all around rod for a few years I’m just not a fan of two piece rods anymore. 

Same durability and fighting power as the new ones. I own both versions and I still use the old version for about 10 years..

29 mins ago, levari said:

Same durability and fighting power as the new ones. I own both versions and I still use the old version for about 10 years..

Awesome. Just wanted to make sure it won't snap after using it as a cane around rocks 

30 mins ago, Surfrat815 said:

Awesome. Just wanted to make sure it won't snap after using it as a cane around rocks 

If you get one put a butt cap on it. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

3 hours ago, Surfrat815 said:

90% of my fishing is in Boulder fields with wet suit.

Just buy a butt cap for the older version to protect the bottom. Newer versions come with a protective butt cap. You will not find a better rod for Boulder fields..

Edited by levari

The older model LSS106MM2  10'6   3/4 to 4  sees 90% of my plug work. Paired with a VR175 it is a light setup that tosses quite far.

Mine is going on 10 years and I never felt out gunned on any fish.