Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
40shades-of-blue

SS to Green Beret

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Came across this on youtube. Interesting story. Thought you fellow history buffs would be interested. 

Edited by 40shades-of-blue

Larry Thorne was a bad-ass.  Legend in SF.  The old timers still talk about what a great dude he was!!  

4 hours ago, HugeDinghy said:

I could watch the history channel for a living. 

I could too at least back in the day when they actually showed good history shows. Now it’s mostly just lame junk collectors shows or aliens or stupid things like the food that built america. 

Edited by 40shades-of-blue

Since I work for a Finnish company and was interested in WW2, I have many discussions with them.  Especially anyone who has Karelia heritage, they hate the russians.

I texted one today and asked him what book he lent me on Lauri..as I couldn't remember.  

He sent this back as well.

One of Thorne’s company’s missions in summer 1944 was to release a Finnish unit from Russian encirclement. My grandpa was in that encircled unit. Grandpa said it was music he never forgets when they heard Finnish attack noice of sub machine guns and hand grenades and the war cry and then seeing the Russians fleeing before getting encircled in return. Torni’s guys didn’t always try to hide who they were as if Russians knew it was Torni’s detachment coming they often took of before driven away. 

Edited by makomakoman

36 mins ago, makomakoman said:

Since I work for a Finnish company and was interested in WW2, I have many discussions with them.  Especially anyone who has Karelia heritage, they hate the russians.

I texted one today and asked him what book he lent me on Lauri..as I couldn't remember.  

He sent this back as well.

One of Thorne’s company’s missions in summer 1944 was to release a Finnish unit from Russian encirclement. My grandpa was in that encircled unit. Grandpa said it was music he never forgets when they heard Finnish attack noice of sub machine guns and hand grenades and the war cry and then seeing the Russians fleeing before getting encircled in return. Torni’s guys didn’t always try to hide who they were as if Russians knew it was Torni’s detachment coming they often took of before driven away. 

Good info. Thanks for sharing.

Lauri Törni, as he's known in Finland, was jailed for treason after the war, primarily because the Soviets wanted his head on a platter. He escaped. He and a number of other Finns, known as Marttinen's Men, who were burying arms across Finland in anticipation of fighting a guerilla war against the Russians, were hustled off to the US, assisted by the law firm headed by Wild Bill Donovan, who was one of the founders of the OSS, forerunner to the CIA. All of them had prices on their heads courtesy of Uncle Joe Stalin. Many of Marttinen's Men served with distinction in the US military, having been granted waivers to serve, again with the help of Donovan.

Another fascinating character from Finland's Winter War against the Soviets was Simo Häyhä, a sniper credited with over 500 kills. He was so successful at killing Red Army officers that Stalin put a bounty on his head. His career ended when he was hit in the jaw by an explosive bullet. He survived, but was unable to continue serving. After the war, he returned to life as a farmer and hunting guide. He finally died at the age of 96 in 2002. He became known as "White Death".