Jump to content

Shore Fluke - Proven Method

Rate this topic


buddha162

Recommended Posts

On 7/6/2024 at 9:23 AM, fishinthedark said:

I know it might be blasphemous but has anyone tried a small clip in leiu of the Kreh loop knot?

 

It won't affect much but I don't like feeling the clip against the eyelet when I'm jigging. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've been trying this for about a month and am down some $50 in 6in jerk shads! Not a single keeper :( I keep getting the tails eaten off. Sometime just the fork at the end, sometimes all the way up to the hook. Definitely makes for a lot of hits but damn I want to catch a keeper.

B'Nuggets with the Asian.

(*member formerly known as 'imdannoir')

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/6/2024 at 9:23 AM, fishinthedark said:

I know it might be blasphemous but has anyone tried a small clip in leiu of the Kreh loop knot?

Tactical anglers have micro power fishing clips rated at 25lbs.  I've been using these.  They are small.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, sinfish said:

Tactical anglers have micro power fishing clips rated at 25lbs.  I've been using these.  They are small.

that is exactly the one that I tried, getting older and tying a knot with that 12 lb furo is getting tougher and having to re-tie if I want to try a jerk bait seems like a lot.

 

Was out this weekend for the first time, shaking out the gear... I put a beat down on the Horn Toads caught 5 fluke but nothing near keeper sized, but that is more on me than the technique. Was just shaking out my kit and lost some baits to break offs because of premature bail closures.... but over all was a lot of fun.    .....and thanks to buddha162 to starting this great thread.

Edited by fishinthedark
I Fish therefore I Lie
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Spent a lot of time fishing this method.  Probably 40-50 hours so far this year.  Couple things I've noticed. 

- The white 6" jerk shad out fishes other size and colors by a long shot.  Not even close.  Bought some chartreuse, pink, etc. when couldn't find white.  Tried them and got a couple hits. Put on white and bite improved noticeably.  Also, the 5" has a much smaller body than the 6" jerk shad.  Tried the 5" with no success.  Wouldn't buy the 5" again. 

- Your gonna go through a lot of gulp.  Even if there aren't blowfish or porgies biting off the tail, the fluke beat them up too.  Find most of mine get tore up around the lead rings that hold gulp on hook shank.  In 2-3 hours can easily go through 5-10 jerk shads.  Gets expensive. 

- Hard to fish in a fast, cross current.  A lot of productive areas by me are inlets and channels.  Hard to cast up current and let jig reach bottom before it gets swept away by current.  Went up to 3/8 oz and still hard to feel bottom.  

- I tried something a little new recently.  Have a jig mold for ball head jigs.  Been pouring 1/4 oz heads with a 4/0 Gamakatsu 604 hooks.  Like the smaller jig head with the bigger hook.  Only had a couple trips so far with these jigs but the results are encouraging. 

Overall, this method is amazing.  Almost always catch at least 5-6 fish an outing.  Having a little trouble finding keepers but have started hitting different spots.  Confident I'll find them eventually.  Thank you again to Buddha for sharing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Rob A said:

- The white 6" jerk shad out fishes other size and colors by a long shot.  Not even close.  Bought some chartreuse, pink, etc. when couldn't find white.  Tried them and got a couple hits. Put on white and bite improved noticeably.  Also, the 5" has a much smaller body than the 6" jerk shad. 

 

I swear it's not even the color but the texture and consistency of the white 6" jerk shad - just the right amount of suppleness to the bait, giving it great swimming action when popping it off slack line. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It’s definitely different than other gulp but it only works when the conditions are right. All other gulp has a place in my bag. Days have been saved when the jerk shad is not working using other types and methods. I do enjoy the summer days when I’m out front tho and the jerk shad shines. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@buddha162

 

I'm thinking of trying this method with the jerkshad for spring backbay bass. Wondering if you can reccomend a rod rated 1/4- 1 1/4. Something that can do a decent job of throwing 1/4oz+ JS, but also capable of throwing 1oz small plugs. I realize I'll be sacrificing alot of sensitivity, but the versatility would make up for it in my opinion. 7'6" or 8'..

.

 

Thanks,

Brian

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 mins ago, BrianLynch said:

@buddha162

 

I'm thinking of trying this method with the jerkshad for spring backbay bass. Wondering if you can reccomend a rod rated 1/4- 1 1/4. Something that can do a decent job of throwing 1/4oz+ JS, but also capable of throwing 1oz small plugs. I realize I'll be sacrificing alot of sensitivity, but the versatility would make up for it in my opinion. 7'6" or 8'..

.

 

Thanks,

Brian

I use a shimano moonshot 9'6"  8-42 grams 50grams max jigging.  This translates to about 1/4oz to 1 3/8oz.

The rod length is a little harder than an 8' rod at "popping" a jig but it also aids in distance with metals and smaller poppers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/9/2024 at 4:18 PM, buddha162 said:

 

I swear it's not even the color but the texture and consistency of the white 6" jerk shad - just the right amount of suppleness to the bait, giving it great swimming action when popping it off slack line. 

 I found 3 lonely bags of white 6" JS last night.  Sorry but I cleared the shelf.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Questions for the masses on what you guys do with the extremely bent ones? My collection is starting to build. Some of them definetly spin as opposed to gliding on the drop.

Yes I know this isn't rocket science what we are doing here, and Fluke are aggressive little "Basstards" but I have to think there is some sort of pause by the fluke looking at something spinning as opposed to the glide .... thoughts? 

I Fish therefore I Lie
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, fishinthedark said:

Questions for the masses on what you guys do with the extremely bent ones? My collection is starting to build. Some of them definetly spin as opposed to gliding on the drop.

Yes I know this isn't rocket science what we are doing here, and Fluke are aggressive little "Basstards" but I have to think there is some sort of pause by the fluke looking at something spinning as opposed to the glide .... thoughts? 

Have you considered cutting off the bent tail and replacing with a a blade. An additional cost but if the bent up JS aren’t working, maybe worth considering?

Edited by Kewanee
Removed photo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×
×
  • Create New...