Shore Fluke - Proven Method

Rate this topic

buddha162

I understand weight of the jig is crucial....but can you use a bullet type or some other profile than a ball jig and attain the same results.....

Edited by Mr. Bigdeal

PRESS 1 FOR ENGLISH
PRESS 2 AND GO HOME TILL YOU LEARN ENGLISH

On 7/16/2021 at 5:51 PM, buddha162 said:

3/16 - 1/4oz ball jig head + 6" Gulp Jerk Shad (not 5", not mullets, not grubs), no teaser - Kreh loop knot to 12lb floro leader, alberto knot to 8lb braid - 2500/3000 Shimano/Daiwa reel, 7' - 7'6 M to ML FRESHWATER rod.

Our setups weigh less than 10oz. Spend money on the rod over the reel, you need to feel that light jig in the surf. My cousin uses an Olympic Vigore 74M (good luck sourcing that one now), I use the freshwater "unicorn" Daiwa Steez AGS 76MML. Daiwa makes that 7'6 rod in 4 different lines from $150ish to $550. The new Steez AGS Compile X 76MML is about as perfect a shore fluking rod as they come, but the $150 Tatula 76MML will work great as well.  

Cast out let the jig hit bottom, 2-3 pops off slack line at the end of which your rod tip will be pointing up at the sky - hold the tip high letting the jig pendulum/glide back towards you to the bottom and repeat. They will always bite on the pendulum swing back down. Once bit reel down to the fish until your rod tip is slightly loaded then hammer home the hookset. Do not "let them eat it," just reel down to remove the slack and set the hook. Anything you don't hook are shorts. Once your jig gets to the wash let the water flush it around, many bites come right at your feet (though are they ambushing there or did they follow your jig in...who knows). 

There seems to be a myriad of shore fluking approaches - ours yield on average 4+ keepers per trip, with many doubles and a few triple limits, and several 6lb+ fish in the past 2 seasons.

From shore, teasers = shorts. Small gulp = shorts. Shorts = wasted time not catching keepers.

fluke 111.png

I've also done this same exact method for years..............with one exception, i'll use a "flutter or swimbait" hook instead.  Anything 3/8 oz. and under does the trick.

They just cannot resist the "dying" baitfish retrieve.  Fished exactly like you described but with a light center weighted hook.  :th::th:

1 hour ago, yogiiiboy said:

I've also done this same exact method for years..............with one exception, i'll use a "flutter or swimbait" hook instead.  Anything 3/8 oz. and under does the trick.

They just cannot resist the "dying" baitfish retrieve.  Fished exactly like you described but with a light center weighted hook.  :th::th:

I love a shank weighted hook for jerk shads. Great action. DOA lures sells pinch weights that are great.

(*member formerly known as 'Badtothebugs')

On 7/16/2021 at 2:51 PM, buddha162 said:

3/16 - 1/4oz ball jig head + 6" Gulp Jerk Shad (not 5", not mullets, not grubs), no teaser - Kreh loop knot to 12lb floro leader, alberto knot to 8lb braid - 2500/3000 Shimano/Daiwa reel, 7' - 7'6 M to ML FRESHWATER rod.

Our setups weigh less than 10oz. Spend money on the rod over the reel, you need to feel that light jig in the surf. My cousin uses an Olympic Vigore 74M (good luck sourcing that one now), I use the freshwater "unicorn" Daiwa Steez AGS 76MML. Daiwa makes that 7'6 rod in 4 different lines from $150ish to $550. The new Steez AGS Compile X 76MML is about as perfect a shore fluking rod as they come, but the $150 Tatula 76MML will work great as well.  

Cast out let the jig hit bottom, 2-3 pops off slack line at the end of which your rod tip will be pointing up at the sky - hold the tip high letting the jig pendulum/glide back towards you to the bottom and repeat. They will always bite on the pendulum swing back down. Once bit reel down to the fish until your rod tip is slightly loaded then hammer home the hookset. Do not "let them eat it," just reel down to remove the slack and set the hook. Anything you don't hook are shorts. Once your jig gets to the wash let the water flush it around, many bites come right at your feet (though are they ambushing there or did they follow your jig in...who knows). 

There seems to be a myriad of shore fluking approaches - ours yield on average 4+ keepers per trip, with many doubles and a few triple limits, and several 6lb+ fish in the past 2 seasons.

From shore, teasers = shorts. Small gulp = shorts. Shorts = wasted time not catching keepers.

fluke 111.png

I’m thinking this technique might also work for CA halibut, what bass etc. I’m going to pick up some lighter jig heads & some Gulp jerk shads & give that a shot.

On 7/19/2021 at 9:24 AM, jjdbike said:

I have the 8’6” Suzuki UL & will be using it for the 1st time w/ a Sratic 400 strapped to it. Not NJ fluking, but tossing Lucky Crafts & swim baits (1/2 - 1 oz) for CA halibut in SoCal this week.

Will report back on that rod.

Tight lines!

JD

6 hours ago, Buckscorider said:

I got the goods lol.

20210719_185246.jpg

Love that color for fluke. Hope I can find those out here.

JD

22 hours ago, Popasilov said:

Have you thought about Okuma Rockaway SP rods?

They are 8.6 ' and ML is 4oz and M is 4.4 oz.

No and sub 4.5oz is just a requirement, not the only quality I'm looking for - it has to have a fast tip and be sensitive too. 

17 hours ago, cow_goes_meow said:

@buddha162 do you tend to use heavier jigs on full/new moons? thinking about trying this method this week and I'm worried about stronger currents during these times.

From the beach, no - the 6" jerk shad alone is something like 5/16oz and it sinks and it's streamlined w/o a paddle/curly tail. 

12 hours ago, Hairyjig said:

Are you still holding these bigger rods like you would the 7’ 6” to do the jigging action or are they going between the legs more like a surf rod 

Yeah the 96M Dialuna and 9M Labrax are both just this side of balancing free handed with the grip in front of reel stem. 

That's why we went JDM at the time there was nothing here that matches the specs we were looking for. Once you start tucking rod butts under armpits/crotch sensitivity is cut drastically (and so is the fun)

11 hours ago, Mr. Bigdeal said:

I understand weight of the jig is crucial....but can you use a bullet type or some other profile than a ball jig and attain the same results.....

Strongly prefer ball heads but the key is the 90 degree line tie - it gives the jerkshad a more unstable, erratic action when you pop it up off slack line, and a flatter glide back down to bottom. 

10 hours ago, yogiiiboy said:

You need a lot more weight to get the same sink rate on a belly weighted EWG vs a jig head, and the action is also very different. Maybe if I'm fishing shallow and calm conditions...but then I'd just go to lighter heads. We cover a lot of water and waiting for a belly weighted jerkshad to sound bottom...no bueno. 

But w/e works for you keep at it!

7 hours ago, buddha162 said:

Strongly prefer ball heads but the key is the 90 degree line tie - it gives the jerkshad a more unstable, erratic action when you pop it up off slack line, and a flatter glide back down to bottom. 

What would you estimate your casting distance before jigging...want to get a feel for that whipping motion.

PRESS 1 FOR ENGLISH
PRESS 2 AND GO HOME TILL YOU LEARN ENGLISH

10 hours ago, buddha162 said:

Yeah the 96M Dialuna and 9M Labrax are both just this side of balancing free handed with the grip in front of reel stem. 

That's why we went JDM at the time there was nothing here that matches the specs we were looking for. Once you start tucking rod butts under armpits/crotch sensitivity is cut drastically (and so is the fun)

Sensitivity would be a concern but I was also thinking more in the lines of the balance, if the upper part of the longer rods is going to be substantialy heavier than the shorter rods that would get very tiring very fast on the wrist 

Fish Hard or GO HOME...