Shore Fluke - Proven Method

Rate this topic

buddha162

On 7/17/2021 at 4:32 PM, Lurp66 said:

Ok. Thanks for the clarification. On the Jersey shore where I fish fluke is a daytime game and I only fish at night from the shore for stripers. Thanks again.

You would think fluke from shore in NJ is only a daytime thing, but it's not.

Crushed barbs save fish, keep that rod bent! 

35 mins ago, Notable Catch said:

One more question about this setup especially after yesterday’s Fluking.  Would this work with decent wave hitting surf out front?  Videos I’ve seen, wave is pretty calm and central Jersey where I’m most comfortable and know some places have decent size wave pretty much all the time.  

Yeah that's why you want to spend money on the rod, the lighter/crisper/more sensitive the easier time you'll have in rougher surf conditions - and also the slightly longer 7'6 helps keep your braid out of cresting waves. 8'6 would be better, and one of us will get a JDM 8'6 suzuki rod at some point to test out.

4 mins ago, Mr. Bigdeal said:

So depending on the length of the jig's hook shank....do you ever find it necessary to trim back the head on the Gulp 6" jerk shad so as to position the hook better in the body.

Nah we use the Gammy Round 26 in 3/0 and I've used 2/0 in a pinch, keeper sized fluke will inhale that 6" jerk shad np. Short strikers are shorts, or close enough to not matter.   

1 hour ago, buddha162 said:

Yeah that's why you want to spend money on the rod, the lighter/crisper/more sensitive the easier time you'll have in rougher surf conditions - and also the slightly longer 7'6 helps keep your braid out of cresting waves. 8'6 would be better, and one of us will get a JDM 8'6 suzuki rod at some point to test out.

I have the 8’6” Suzuki UL & will be using it for the 1st time w/ a Sratic 400 strapped to it. Not NJ fluking, but tossing Lucky Crafts & swim baits (1/2 - 1 oz) for CA halibut in SoCal this week.

Will report back on that rod.

Tight lines!

JD

2 hours ago, buddha162 said:

Nah we use the Gammy Round 26 in 3/0 and I've used 2/0 in a pinch, keeper sized fluke will inhale that 6" jerk shad np. Short strikers are shorts, or close enough to not matter.   

HMMM...Just seems that some of the jigs available...hook placement is in the upper 1/3 of the body behind the head on a 6" jerk shad.....also, what model Dialuna you fishin'.

Edited by Mr. Bigdeal

PRESS 1 FOR ENGLISH
PRESS 2 AND GO HOME TILL YOU LEARN ENGLISH

3 hours ago, jjdbike said:

I have the 8’6” Suzuki UL & will be using it for the 1st time w/ a Sratic 400 strapped to it. Not NJ fluking, but tossing Lucky Crafts & swim baits (1/2 - 1 oz) for CA halibut in SoCal this week.

Will report back on that rod.

Tight lines!

JD

I'm sure that'll be a great rod for you but I'm talking about the new Lunamis and possibly Exsence Genos - 8'6 and 4oz rods, nothing over 4.5oz. 

"suzuki" = japanese seabass and there are a myriad of JDM companies making light 8'6 - 9'6 rods for that species. 

2 hours ago, Mr. Bigdeal said:

HMMM...Just seems that some of the jigs available...hook placement is in the upper 1/3 of the body behind the head on a 6" jerk shad.....also, what model Dialuna you fishin'.

You can nose hook the 6" jerkshad and be 100% on any fluke worth catching. 

When fishing inlets and deep channels bay side still using the 96M, but an 8'6ML Lunamis/Exsence Genos or similar is in my future. 

8 hours ago, buddha162 said:

... and 4oz rods, nothing over 4.5oz. 

Have you thought about Okuma Rockaway SP rods?

They are 8.6 ' and ML is 4oz and M is 4.4 oz.

Bad day fishing is still much better than good day work.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a much closer look at the American Indian.
                                                                                     - Henry Ford-

I bought a Phenix M1 7'4 medium action and paired it with a vanford 3000 for fluking.

Rod is $180 and nice for the money, only issue was I wish it had more of a foregrip so I added winn grip above the reel seat. They make a 7'8 model too. For the people looking for something sub $200.

The vanford is really nice too, just don't expect to use it for bigger fish. I wouldn't be confident cranking on anything bigger than 10lbs or so in the surf. 

18 hours ago, buddha162 said:

When fishing inlets and deep channels bay side still using the 96M, but an 8'6ML Lunamis/Exsence Genos or similar is in my future. 

Are you still holding these bigger rods like you would the 7’ 6” to do the jigging action or are they going between the legs more like a surf rod 

Edited by Hairyjig
Fish Hard or GO HOME...

19 hours ago, buddha162 said:

Any colors in the shad seem to work better than others?