Shore Fluke - Proven Method

Rate this topic

buddha162

On 7/16/2021 at 5:51 PM, buddha162 said:

3/16 - 1/4oz ball jig head + 6" Gulp Jerk Shad (not 5", not mullets, not grubs), no teaser - Kreh loop knot to 12lb floro leader, alberto knot to 8lb braid - 2500/3000 Shimano/Daiwa reel, 7' - 7'6 M to ML FRESHWATER rod.

Our setups weigh less than 10oz. Spend money on the rod over the reel, you need to feel that light jig in the surf. My cousin uses an Olympic Vigore 74M (good luck sourcing that one now), I use the freshwater "unicorn" Daiwa Steez AGS 76MML. Daiwa makes that 7'6 rod in 4 different lines from $150ish to $550. The new Steez AGS Compile X 76MML is about as perfect a shore fluking rod as they come, but the $150 Tatula 76MML will work great as well.  

Cast out let the jig hit bottom, 2-3 pops off slack line at the end of which your rod tip will be pointing up at the sky - hold the tip high letting the jig pendulum/glide back towards you to the bottom and repeat. They will always bite on the pendulum swing back down. Once bit reel down to the fish until your rod tip is slightly loaded then hammer home the hookset. Do not "let them eat it," just reel down to remove the slack and set the hook. Anything you don't hook are shorts. Once your jig gets to the wash let the water flush it around, many bites come right at your feet (though are they ambushing there or did they follow your jig in...who knows). 

There seems to be a myriad of shore fluking approaches - ours yield on average 4+ keepers per trip, with many doubles and a few triple limits, and several 6lb+ fish in the past 2 seasons.

From shore, teasers = shorts. Small gulp = shorts. Shorts = wasted time not catching keepers.

fluke 111.png

So about what length 12lb floro you usin'.......

Edited by Mr. Bigdeal

PRESS 1 FOR ENGLISH
PRESS 2 AND GO HOME TILL YOU LEARN ENGLISH

3 hours ago, Lurp66 said:

Ok. Thanks for the clarification. On the Jersey shore where I fish fluke is a daytime game and I only fish at night from the shore for stripers. Thanks again.

I’ve never targeted fluke at night, either. Mainly stripers and weakfish. But… last year my buddy and I just stepped into the water well after dark and he gets a fluke on the first cast with his fly rod. A little smaller than keeper, but it was interesting.

Ok. Thanks for the clarification. On the Jersey shore where I fish fluke is a daytime game and I only fish at night from the shore for stripers. Thanks again.

I’ve never targeted fluke at night, either. Mainly stripers and weakfish. But… last year my buddy and I just stepped into the water well after dark and he gets a fluke on the first cast with his fly rod. A little smaller than keeper, but it was interesting.

21 hours ago, aquaholic23 said:

Your videos have made this one of the best fluke seasons I've had. First season in a kayak and I can't even drift anymore because I don't catch enough compared to the pendulum method. I set up stationary casting from shallow-->deep w/ water flowing same direction and the bites keep coming. 

Ive found it effective with small spro jigs as well as bare jig heads. ~light as possible~ Even the shorts being caught are bigger. In my little experience so far white jerk shad has been the only ticket for consistent bites, 5 or 6in. I do tend to lose the jerk shads more than a grub/mullet to a fish eating/thrashing. 

Love the videos with very good details descriptions. Dug way back and found the video of you explaining why you like a small loop knot from leader to the jig rather a bigger loop....only helped stay in contact with the jig better. 

Information on rods would be greatly appreciated as I can't find a good backbone with light enough tip for small jigs. Gonna look into the ones you mentioned.

You are your cousin are fluke gods in my eyes lol

Thanks!!

I no longer kayak for fluke but when I did, yes - mainly I would hold my position with pedals and cast up current, usually along a specific break/contour line and jig back to the kayak. Very effective in relatively shallow water, say under 35ft. 

Rods - what are you using now? Like I mentioned the several 7'6MML Daiwas from Tatulas to the new Compile X AGS really fit the bill from shore. But from a kayak I would go shorter - the Shimano Expride 72MH spinning rod is a great fluke jigger with a very lively tip and plenty of backbone. You can also go with baitcasting setups in which case the Expride 610M or 72ML would be similar, and the 72MH will handle slightly heavier jigs up to 1oz perfectly. Daiwa Rebellions are great rods too, as are the new Zodias rods. Exprides are probably due for a refresh this year - hopefully they don't mess it up. 

5 hours ago, Fishit 2 said:

I found it really doesn't matter what you are using for bait or the setup, you have to have fish in front of you to Catch them. I've caught just as many fluke on my $30 Berkley rods as I have on my $400 St Croix rods.

Not sure how you can tell if there are fish in front of you - if you don't catch fish they're not there? What if someone else rolls up doing something different and starts pulling keepers immediately? 

Rods - sure - but you might be using the wrong $400 rod :) 

Edited by buddha162

6 hours ago, buddha162 said:

Either 8 - 9' (knot between reel and stripper) or 3-4' (knot outside the rod). 

I usually tie an Improved Alberto so it really has no bearing....usually tie a 4'0 or so leader but 8 to 9' you say...

PRESS 1 FOR ENGLISH
PRESS 2 AND GO HOME TILL YOU LEARN ENGLISH

On 7/16/2021 at 5:51 PM, buddha162 said:

3/16 - 1/4oz ball jig head + 6" Gulp Jerk Shad (not 5", not mullets, not grubs), no teaser - Kreh loop knot to 12lb floro leader, alberto knot to 8lb braid - 2500/3000 Shimano/Daiwa reel, 7' - 7'6 M to ML FRESHWATER rod.

Our setups weigh less than 10oz. Spend money on the rod over the reel, you need to feel that light jig in the surf. My cousin uses an Olympic Vigore 74M (good luck sourcing that one now), I use the freshwater "unicorn" Daiwa Steez AGS 76MML. Daiwa makes that 7'6 rod in 4 different lines from $150ish to $550. The new Steez AGS Compile X 76MML is about as perfect a shore fluking rod as they come, but the $150 Tatula 76MML will work great as well.  

Cast out let the jig hit bottom, 2-3 pops off slack line at the end of which your rod tip will be pointing up at the sky - hold the tip high letting the jig pendulum/glide back towards you to the bottom and repeat. They will always bite on the pendulum swing back down. Once bit reel down to the fish until your rod tip is slightly loaded then hammer home the hookset. Do not "let them eat it," just reel down to remove the slack and set the hook. Anything you don't hook are shorts. Once your jig gets to the wash let the water flush it around, many bites come right at your feet (though are they ambushing there or did they follow your jig in...who knows). 

There seems to be a myriad of shore fluking approaches - ours yield on average 4+ keepers per trip, with many doubles and a few triple limits, and several 6lb+ fish in the past 2 seasons.

From shore, teasers = shorts. Small gulp = shorts. Shorts = wasted time not catching keepers.

fluke 111.png

So, I've been watching lots of your videos.  Just picked up a rod but right after that, my interest in your way of Fluking peaked. Should have waited a day more before buying. A couple of questions about your way especially I've never dealt with such a light sinker/jighead.

1. Wasn't your recommendation in video 15lb braid?  Not 8lb you say here?

2. 8lb braid can handle big Fluke like that?  I'm assuming this only applies to surf fishing, not from Jetty unless you have a net as I don't think 8lb can handle a swing.

3. Would 12lb mono work instead of fluoro?

4. Any idea how much  Tatula 7.5' weighs?  I'm thinking about matching it with Vanford 3000 to make it light.  It applies to all fishing but especially for Fluke jigging, I'm a firm believer lighter the rod and reel, the better it is.  For sinker/jighead, I suck so I've been using 1oz-1.5oz but want to change that by practicing your way.

5. Another rod that was recommended was Kage KAGW761MLXS.  Looks like it's around $200?  It's not Tatula Elite expensive and I think I can spend that much to test/practice and I like Alconite over FazLite.  I think this is a Walleye rod?  Any idea on the weight of this rod?

10 hours ago, Notable Catch said:

So, I've been watching lots of your videos.  Just picked up a rod but right after that, my interest in your way of Fluking peaked. Should have waited a day more before buying. A couple of questions about your way especially I've never dealt with such a light sinker/jighead.

1. Wasn't your recommendation in video 15lb braid?  Not 8lb you say here?

2. 8lb braid can handle big Fluke like that?  I'm assuming this only applies to surf fishing, not from Jetty unless you have a net as I don't think 8lb can handle a swing.

3. Would 12lb mono work instead of fluoro?

4. Any idea how much  Tatula 7.5' weighs?  I'm thinking about matching it with Vanford 3000 to make it light.  It applies to all fishing but especially for Fluke jigging, I'm a firm believer lighter the rod and reel, the better it is.  For sinker/jighead, I suck so I've been using 1oz-1.5oz but want to change that by practicing your way.

5. Another rod that was recommended was Kage KAGW761MLXS.  Looks like it's around $200?  It's not Tatula Elite expensive and I think I can spend that much to test/practice and I like Alconite over FazLite.  I think this is a Walleye rod?  Any idea on the weight of this rod?

1. We use PE0.8 and 1, which in YGK Upgrade x8 (highly recommend this line) is 16 and 22lbs respectively. I said "8lb" bc US braid labeling are all over the map...8-10lb dia on most US braids - if you can trust the measurements - seems about the same. The YGK Upgrade x8 is by far the best braid we've used - doesn't soak up water, wears well, not super limp but definitely not wiry, cuts through water/wave crests beautifully. 

For jetties you can def swing shorts, but you should have a net. We use a Major Craft telescopic landing net and it works great. 

2. Sure but we've never had a reason to go mono over fluoro.

3. No but my first gen Steez AGS 76MML weighs 4.4oz, the new Compile X version weighs 3.6oz. I would imagine mid to high 4s for the Tatula and Kage. I've heard very good things about the Tatual Elite AGS 76 rod, if I were looking to spend 200ish I'd bump it up to 280 and get that one. The Rebellion 7M is a great one too but shorter - as is the Zodias 7M. Phenix Feather has a 7'7M but I'm not a fan of the grip (or lack of grip) - but you might like it. I wouldn't recommend throwing 1oz on any of these rods - 1/4oz + gulp is as heavy as I would go. You could start off lobbing 3/8 + gulp to get a feel for bottom but 1/4 and 3/16 is where the magic happens.  

Rod sensitivity in this case is less about detecting bites (fluke are not subtle fish) and more about keeping tabs on your jig - wind/waves will buffet your line above the water, and currents will act upon your line underwater, as well as moving your jig in different directions. With a mushy rod you won't be able to isolate the feel of maintaining bottom contact and you'll easily "lose" your jig esp when it's windy and the surf's up. 

The Vanford 3k is a good choice. 

Thank you very much!  

One more question about this setup especially after yesterday’s Fluking.  Would this work with decent wave hitting surf out front?  Videos I’ve seen, wave is pretty calm and central Jersey where I’m most comfortable and know some places have decent size wave pretty much all the time.  

On 7/17/2021 at 4:32 PM, Lurp66 said:

You would think fluke from shore in NJ is only a daytime thing, but it's not.

Crushed barbs save fish, keep that rod bent! 

On 7/17/2021 at 4:32 PM, Lurp66 said:

You would think fluke from shore in NJ is only a daytime thing, but it's not.

Crushed barbs save fish, keep that rod bent!