buddha162

Shore Fluke - Proven Method

Rate this topic

454 posts in this topic

Discovered a potential issue with the light tackle.  Was just fishing at a jetty and caught a ray.  I tried to land it for 15 minutes.  Was able to bring her down towards the beach, but run away with all my line.  The line finally broke where connected to the reel.  My rod is only one week old, so I didn't want to make the drag too tight ad risk breaking it.  Hope it will unhook itself. 

Do you happen to have a recommendation for a rod in the ~$250 range?  I recently acquired a Daiwa Saltist Westcoast 83 ML, but feels a little mushy for this technique, probably need something snappier.  Would mainly be doing this from shore but also curious if you have a suggestion that could do it from small boat (and also handle tog and sea bass)?  Not sure if that exists!

1 hour ago, Tunquen said:

Discovered a potential issue with the light tackle.  Was just fishing at a jetty and caught a ray.  I tried to land it for 15 minutes.  Was able to bring her down towards the beach, but run away with all my line.  The line finally broke where connected to the reel.  My rod is only one week old, so I didn't want to make the drag too tight ad risk breaking it.  Hope it will unhook itself. 

The solution to rays is to go lighter in the leader department, so you can break it off at the terminal knot - a Kreh's loop knot tied in 10lb fluoro will break around 6-7lbs, more than enough to land any fluke on an open beach but easy to break off on a big ray. 

If you're tying a modified alberto or FG the connection knot should never break before the loop knot. 

43 mins ago, HookSetGo said:

Do you happen to have a recommendation for a rod in the ~$250 range?  I recently acquired a Daiwa Saltist Westcoast 83 ML, but feels a little mushy for this technique, probably need something snappier.  Would mainly be doing this from shore but also curious if you have a suggestion that could do it from small boat (and also handle tog and sea bass)?  Not sure if that exists!

Daiwa Rebellion 7M, Zodias 7M (there's a new 7'6 model added to Zodias at icast), any of the Daiwa Tatula, Tat Elite, Kage, Steez 7'6 rods, Expride 7M or 72MH - that fast tip is pretty important for both bite detection and imparting action to the jig. I've been using my new Steez AGS Compile X 76MML and it's perfect but no need for a $500+ rod for fluke.  

Tog you should be looking elsewhere, seabass 100% as long as you stay within shouting distance of the lure ratings. 

On 7/31/2021 at 4:21 PM, marty fishwish said:

I have a OMEN black 7'1" 3/16 to 5/8 oz. and a OMEN black 6'10" !/8 to 1/2 oz. The reel is a van staal vr 50 with 20lb braid. Which one of these rods will work and can i get away with the 20Lb braid. Thanks for any reply's

Based on specs definitely the 7'1 rated to 5/8oz. 

VR50 is a huge reel for that rod...consider a 2500 Ultegra or the new Nasci for cheap, put some thin 8-10lb braid on it and go to work. 

Edited by buddha162

On 7/31/2021 at 8:03 PM, justtrynafish said:

I’m having trouble dealing with blowfish, micro sea bass, and snappers biting the tail of my jerk shads off. Is there anything I can do to not have to go through nearly 2 packs of gulp a trip? Its pretty damn annoying, and moving doesn’t seem to help. I fish a pier, btw.

There's no getting away from the little guys, esp blowfish - I did notice the blowfish were out 10yards or so beyond where the fluke were biting last couple of trips...so I made my casts shorter. 

I'll take robins any day over snappers and blowies lol. 

2 hours ago, buddha162 said:

There's no getting away from the little guys, esp blowfish - I did notice the blowfish were out 10yards or so beyond where the fluke were biting last couple of trips...so I made my casts shorter. 

I'll take robins any day over snappers and blowies lol. 

Have you tried using other jerk shads (zman, doa, etc) at all? 

6 mins ago, justtrynafish said:

Have you tried using other jerk shads (zman, doa, etc) at all? 

Yeah - pretty much a waste of time for fluke, you'll catch if they're feeding but it's not even close compared to gulp. 

14 hours ago, buddha162 said:

The solution to rays is to go lighter in the leader department, so you can break it off at the terminal knot - a Kreh's loop knot tied in 10lb fluoro will break around 6-7lbs, more than enough to land any fluke on an open beach but easy to break off on a big ray. 

If you're tying a modified alberto or FG the connection knot should never break before the loop knot. 

I have been using the Kreh's loop but not the Alberto or FG because I found the Albright easier to tie.  So far no problems with it.  What it broke was my mono to the reel.  I was using 12# fluro and 15# braid.

In any case, if I didn't let the ray run on me passed the waves I may had a chance.  It was an entertaining 15 minutes, but I was too worried about my Tatula (thanks for the youtube recommendation) snapping in half.

Edited by Tunquen

16 hours ago, buddha162 said:

Daiwa Rebellion 7M, Zodias 7M (there's a new 7'6 model added to Zodias at icast), any of the Daiwa Tatula, Tat Elite, Kage, Steez 7'6 rods, Expride 7M or 72MH - that fast tip is pretty important for both bite detection and imparting action to the jig. I've been using my new Steez AGS Compile X 76MML and it's perfect but no need for a $500+ rod for fluke.  

Tog you should be looking elsewhere, seabass 100% as long as you stay within shouting distance of the lure ratings. 

Thanks, that makes sense.  Pairing with a Daiwa 3K back bay LT- would you rather have zodias 7M or Daiwa Tatula Elite 71M?  Looks like both are similarly rated and the Tatula is 70 bucks more.  

22 hours ago, buddha162 said:

Based on specs definitely the 7'1 rated to 5/8oz. 

VR50 is a huge reel for that rod...consider a 2500 Ultegra or the new Nasci for cheap, put some thin 8-10lb braid on it and go to work. 

Thanks for the reply.

Recently the stores have been empty and the colors I have are not producing. Anyone using this method catching bigger than average sea robin? I manage some how almost each trip with them and best part they're about 13-15inches. Usually thinking it's a big fluke.

Fishing lots of inlets I found 1/2-3/4oz working even in quicker tides. Do you or your cousin have any tips on quick water movement and this technique? It's tough since I only get 2-3 jigs per cast then I'm off the bottom (if that makes sense). Very difficult with crowded areas since I'm significantly casting up current. I know there's a video of a familiar inlet online so gonna have to give that another watch. 

On 8/1/2021 at 8:27 PM, buddha162 said:

You ever tried going without a leader?  There are only a few instances I use leader with these days and reducing visual detection is not one of them unless I'm chasing pressured freshwater bass in crystal clear water.  The other cases that come to mind are when I need to increase the drag in the water for jigging middle/upper water column and as shock absorbance for really hard casting.

12 hours ago, aquaholic23 said:

Recently the stores have been empty and the colors I have are not producing. Anyone using this method catching bigger than average sea robin? I manage some how almost each trip with them and best part they're about 13-15inches. Usually thinking it's a big fluke.

Fishing lots of inlets I found 1/2-3/4oz working even in quicker tides. Do you or your cousin have any tips on quick water movement and this technique? It's tough since I only get 2-3 jigs per cast then I'm off the bottom (if that makes sense). Very difficult with crowded areas since I'm significantly casting up current. I know there's a video of a familiar inlet online so gonna have to give that another watch. 

We'll bump it up to 3/8 when the current is ripping at the inlets - that's when braid dia really matters too. Not much inlet fishing this year since the open beach has been on fire. 

You can generally tell when robins hit esp smaller ones, it's a scratchy kind of bite and you can pull your jig away from them. The really big birds tho...they hit like fluke lol. 

9 hours ago, cbinvb said:

You ever tried going without a leader?  

Nope - leaders give you a bit of stretch and abrasion resistance and saves your braid from attrition.