buddha162

Shore Fluke - Proven Method

Rate this topic

507 posts in this topic

38 mins ago, Hairyjig said:

Sensitivity would be a concern but I was also thinking more in the lines of the balance, if the upper part of the longer rods is going to be substantialy heavier than the shorter rods that would get very tiring very fast on the wrist 

The 96M Dialuna is acceptable; the 9'M Labrax is very nicely balanced. 

You guys should also check out his channel for the video on the knot he uses, one of my favorite to use with the jerk shad. I’ve also used it with curly tails (large mullets, nemesis) and I really like the action.

33 mins ago, Mr. Bigdeal said:

Hmmm....that loop knot has been used for decades by every fly fisherman I know and knew.......nothing new there.

100% but the important thing is keeping the loop small and neat, the size of a split ring. That stiffens up the loop and gives your jig maximum movement. 

I can understand that....point well taken. I had a question regarding your cast distance from the beach and does it affect dragging the jig vs. hoping it along the bottom.....also, would an eye foward on the jig head be more beneficial or not....IYO.

Edited by Mr. Bigdeal

20 mins ago, Mr. Bigdeal said:

I can understand that....point well taken. I had a question regarding your cast distance from the beach and does it affect dragging the jig vs. hoping it along the bottom.....also, would an eye foward on the jig head be more beneficial or not....IYO.

I'm terrible at judging distance, you can get a feel from the videos. I just cast out and work the jig, not sure if I understand the question. We're never dragging the jig always popping it off the bottom and letting it glide back down. 

Def prefer 90 degree line tie ball jigheads, you won't get the same action on a 60 or 30 line tie. 

21 hours ago, buddha162 said:
On 7/20/2021 at 0:09 AM, Popasilov said:

Have you thought about Okuma Rockaway SP rods?

They are 8.6 ' and ML is 4oz and M is 4.4 oz.

No and sub 4.5oz is just a requirement, not the only quality I'm looking for - it has to have a fast tip and be sensitive too. 

LOL

O, those are sensitive, very sensitive rods

And fast action.

If you have a chance, hold one.

You will love it.

On 7/20/2021 at 10:43 PM, buddha162 said:

You need a lot more weight to get the same sink rate on a belly weighted EWG vs a jig head, and the action is also very different. Maybe if I'm fishing shallow and calm conditions...but then I'd just go to lighter heads. We cover a lot of water and waiting for a belly weighted jerkshad to sound bottom...no bueno. 

But w/e works for you keep at it!

True...very true............but i've also had 1/4 oz. belly weighted hooks that give me the distance and weight........but i guess i'm partial to that "dying" baitfish sink rate.  Gotta tell you, haven't used any other lure or method in 20 years for fluke.....so i understand your success albeit your slight modification :th:

16 hours ago, Popasilov said:

LOL

O, those are sensitive, very sensitive rods

And fast action.

If you have a chance, hold one.

You will love it.

No offense but I won't. 

25 mins ago, yogiiiboy said:

True...very true............but i've also had 1/4 oz. belly weighted hooks that give me the distance and weight........but i guess i'm partial to that "dying" baitfish sink rate.  Gotta tell you, haven't used any other lure or method in 20 years for fluke.....so i understand your success albeit your slight modification :th:

If you really haven't tried any other method for fluke in 2 decades...maybe it's time to shake things up a little :) 

My go to method is always a 6’6 St. Croix Premier with a Shimano Stradic. 30 lb power pro tied off to 14 pound sun line sniper with a swivel. On the leader is a dropper loop with a 3/4 oz spro and about 9 inches above that is a 3/0 Gami baitholder hook. Both are tipped with either a 4in swimming mullet or a 4in grub and color is depending on what I’m feeling. Cast it out and jig it back slowly right off the bottom. This has produced many fluke for me. Last year however my setup was a 7’ Favorite White Bird on a 2500 size Daiwa Legalis. This setup was originally bought for Ned rigs and other small baits in freshwater. This handled fluke perfectly until my top 3 guides on the rod broke.