buddha162

Shore Fluke - Proven Method

Rate this topic

648 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

@flyangler  here is the specs on the Varivas max pe

 

PE#1   

Class 20.2 lb.   Diameter 

0.0065 in

  /  0.165 mm

 

 

Varivas does a good job giving the specs on its website.  At the bottom of the linked page is the spec chart for Max Power PE x8

 

*

 

The other issue was a few I have measured no matter how I measured using very accurate Starrett calipers and no tension to various tensions were larger in diameter then stated.  As your pic shows even though one states slightly smaller diameter its actually larger. Under what condition is it measured? Personally I think a set level of tension should be used as a standard.  It should be in the range of the tension when filling a spool as that's the focus of an angler.  They want to know how much they can get on a reel's spool and that's the tension generally used.

Edited by TimS
Please don't post commercial links here, we don't allow it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know you've posted here and on YT on this subject before but do you have any new methods for inshore kayak fishing? In deeper water with deeper grades it seems like you need to up the jig weight to get the same rate of glide/drop of your jig head. Can you offer any gear advice on applying single jigs to 20-50 ft of water?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

As I mentioned, I ordered the 2-piece Daiwa Rebellion 7'4ML to have the option to travel with it. Not sure the weight of the 1-pc but the 2pc is 3.6 oz. 

 

08CD6340-27FE-4345-9328-A0CE917B0844_1_105_c.jpeg.c48efa6afa6d47247724ef98b88c96d4.jpeg

 

The interesting thing is the ferrule design, with the butt being the female and the tip being the male. I checked my other SW 2pc rods and the 50/50 split ones are mostly the reverse, female on top. My 70/30 Tsunami popping rod is male on top and I think one of my Hantas is as well. 

 

IMG_8432.jpeg.85baa2a1818e61d8a9b84577a811d4f6.jpeg

 

This Tsunami Carbon Shield has similar specs to the Rebellion but its tip is much stiffer than the Daiwa and the rod weighs in at over 50% heavier. 

 

5D25FD77-AD7E-4C7C-8C9D-89D7DC1E110B_1_105_c.jpeg.55e3d26bde218fe4648c47b1b16d7470.jpeg

 

I don't own any 2500 size reels worth a damn at this point so I have two options, a Saltist Backbay LT 3000 or an older/simpler BG 2000. Given I plan to use this for ocean fishing, I think I am going with the 3000 which will mean a total outfit weight of 3.6 + 10.3 = 13.9 ounces. Not a featherweight like what you and your cousin fish but close enough for my short-term needs (and limited budget). 

 

86ABA92E-7445-4728-AF0C-836A52B42B38_1_105_c.jpeg.4bff27517b0a3bf95c097789561c2bc4.jpeg

 

AADA7FA1-4751-48BC-9794-2EC310A94594_1_105_c.jpeg.6a158c3be721122101552c82f56ed72e.jpeg

 

Since I had the scale out, I weighed my new Saltist MQ 4000D which will be paired with the Black Hole Suzuki 10' I am building. Impressed that this 4000 only weighs a quarter ounce more than the Backbay 3000

 

06BA8189-66C0-48DE-8930-74EFBD45AE0A_1_105_c.jpeg.5935a72d336c925a53cc7fa68c12c6ae.jpeg

 

 

Edited by flyangler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/20/2022 at 8:45 PM, calebk said:

I know you've posted here and on YT on this subject before but do you have any new methods for inshore kayak fishing? In deeper water with deeper grades it seems like you need to up the jig weight to get the same rate of glide/drop of your jig head. Can you offer any gear advice on applying single jigs to 20-50 ft of water?

 

Anything in the bays/rivers under 35/40ft I'm still using the 1/4oz jighead + 6" JS - cast up current (usually keeping position with my pedal drive so I'm stationary) and work the jig back to the kayak. Your line angle will become steeper and steeper as the jig comes in, so it's a combination of a tight line glide at the end of the cast and more of a slack line (controlled slack line) jigging with the jig closer in. You have to keep the jig near the bottom for the length of the cast and in deeper water or going shallow to deep you have to play around with your rod tip on the drop. From shore you are almost always letting the jig swing on a tight line. 

 

50+ft...depends on current. Later in the season if I'm fishing channels I usually opt for a 1/2oz jighead or Spro + 5" mullet or 6" JS - there I'll go with a M-MH 7' - 7'2 baitcaster, something rated to 1oz, and a 150-200 sized Shimano/Daiwa reel. Same thing - cast up current and work it back. Always get a few bounces past your bow if you can - that switch in jig direction is a major trigger for any fluke following your bait in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/20/2022 at 10:23 PM, flyangler said:

As I mentioned, I ordered the 2-piece Daiwa Rebellion 7'4ML to have the option to travel with it. Not sure the weight of the 1-pc but the 2pc is 3.6 oz. 

 

08CD6340-27FE-4345-9328-A0CE917B0844_1_105_c.jpeg.c48efa6afa6d47247724ef98b88c96d4.jpeg

 

That Rebellion is lighter than I expected, very nice. 

 

Those reels are heavy - the new icast released Mirabel in a 2500 might be in your future!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 mins ago, buddha162 said:

 

That Rebellion is lighter than I expected, very nice. 

 

Those reels are heavy - the new icast released Mirabel in a 2500 might be in your future!

HOW MUCH of my money are you spending for me? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/20/2022 at 10:23 PM, flyangler said:

I don't own any 2500 size reels worth a damn at this point so I have two options, a Saltist Backbay LT 3000 or an older/simpler BG 2000. Given I plan to use this for ocean fishing, I think I am going with the 3000

You won’t be disappointed with the back bay. Great little reel & insanely smooth. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 mins ago, vinnyb said:

You won’t be disappointed with the back bay. Great little reel & insanely smooth. 

Resist

Need

To

Buy

New

2500 

Reel

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 mins ago, flyangler said:

Resist

Need

To

Buy

New

2500 

Reel

 

You only live once ;-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

spent the last 3 weeks on OC beaches teaching the local fluke a lesson......as good as Gulp Jerk shads are, I must say that Zoom Super Flukes out fished'em and at a 1/3 of the cost.....and that's the way it was.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mr. Bigdeal said:

spent the last 3 weeks on OC beaches teaching the local fluke a lesson......as good as Gulp Jerk shads are, I must say that Zoom Super Flukes out fished'em and at a 1/3 of the cost.....and that's the way it was.

Glad you had success on your trip. What size/color flukes were you using & were you using the same jigging (pendulum swing) technique?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/22/2022 at 2:26 PM, vinnyb said:

You only live once ;-)

I have resisted 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I made this for the Tavern fluke trip thread, thought I’d share here. 
 

6DD6317D-19EC-418B-AD7B-B259A093F2FA.jpeg.04a57b44c81dd3dc7035a9d9220e3a54.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mr. Bigdeal said:

spent the last 3 weeks on OC beaches teaching the local fluke a lesson......as good as Gulp Jerk shads are, I must say that Zoom Super Flukes out fished'em and at a 1/3 of the cost.....and that's the way it was.

 

We've done extensive side to side comparisons with Gulp vs zoom/bigbite/zman/OSP/Deps soft jerk shads - it's not even close. When the conditions are optimal they will hit the plastisol baits, but they tend to blow it out immediately and your hookup % is ****. 

 

But glad you're spanking the fluke down there - if it's working for you keep at it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.