JohnW93

Surf Fluking

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Looking to try something new this weekend and hit the surf for fluke. Do you usually leave your waders and bag at home? Figured it would be easier to go with a light rod and a tackle box. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

skip the box. Wear a bag. You don't need more to catch than a few bucktails. If you want to keep fish, you'll need a bit more.

 

Wander along the beach, casting as you go. Don't hurry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 mins ago, BrianBM said:

skip the box. Wear a bag. You don't need more to catch than a few bucktails. If you want to keep fish, you'll need a bit more.

 

Wander along the beach, casting as you go. Don't hurry.

Appreciate the response! I’m guessing you just throw some gulp in a ziploc and carry it with you? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Small bag for your jigs/bucktails & gulp, ML - M 7’ - 7’6 rod. All you need for a good time. Wear some crocs or go barefoot, whatever makes walking in the sand easier.

 

Just a tip- forget the rapid seizure jigging that a lot of people seem to do. See the main forum for a post about shore fluking, that method is hands down the most effective for sizable fluke. You’ll probably still catch using a 1 oz bucktail bounced fast off the bottom, but its not ideal; especially in 2-8 ft of water.

 

 

One of the best fisheries come summertime, its so fun. Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only wear waders for fluke if I'm going through an area where I know I'd get covered in ticks. Out front just shorts and a bag with leaders, bucktails, and gulp. You'll catch a lot of shorts and even more Sea Robins but it's a good way to beat the summer doldrums and put a fish on the table occasionally

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wear old sneakers.  Our beaches are bit sharp up here (CT) ,  light rod and a small 2tube bag. 

I like tins, so I use those mainly, also pack a needlefish, some jig heads. Casting egg. Teasers and GULP.  But all still lighter weights.   I think my bag fully loaded is 3lbs not including a water bottle.   Also just got this small folding stool ( I need to sit sometimes)  

 

I just cruise the beach. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Teaser, it takes some learning how to get it to not foul your main line.  I use some variation of a surf candy fly and I usually get more fluke off of that than the main lure I'm tossing.  Work it right up to the edge, most of the fish set up in the trough and you'd be surprised how close in some of them are.  Look for breaks or rips in the bar, and if it's in reach you might find some on the other side of the bar.  Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, valleygoog said:

Teaser, it takes some learning how to get it to not foul your main line.  I use some variation of a surf candy fly and I usually get more fluke off of that than the main lure I'm tossing.  Work it right up to the edge, most of the fish set up in the trough and you'd be surprised how close in some of them are.  Look for breaks or rips in the bar, and if it's in reach you might find some on the other side of the bar.  Good luck!

Using a dropper loop in the leader for the teaser will lessen the fouling to almost zero. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

In the summer, I just wear my bathing suit.  I use squid strips on a Sneaky Pete rig that has some chartreuse spinners on it. (Per an old Milt Rosko article.). I use a light rod with a 1oz Dipsey sinker.  You have to walk a stretch of beach, casting as you go.  If you pick up a fluke, stay in that spot awhile longer.  I find it’s best to fish within a couple hours either side of high  tide.

Edited by gadabout

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, gadabout said:

In the summer, I just wear my bathing suit.  I use squid strips on a Sneaky Pete rig that has some chartreuse spinners on it. (Per an old Milt Rosko article.). I use a light rod with a 1oz Dipsey sinker.  You have to walk a stretch of beach, casting as you go.  If you pick up a fluke, stay in that spot awhile longer.  I find it’s best to fish within a couple hours either side of high  tide.

Got pics of the sneaky pete rig?  Not familiar with that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

 

 

1E7AEC66-EF1B-4134-B1A5-DB57D2517786.jpeg


Here’s an old rusty one I just pulled out of my tackle bag.

 

The “Sneaky Pete” part is the two hooks snelled in tandem onto a piece of leader material, maybe 14” - 18” long.  You put a pennant-shaped squid strip on the two hooks - this helps with short striking fluke.

 

The rest of the rig consists of 6 plastic beads slid onto the leader material, followed by a spinner blade with clevis, followed by another bead.  The spinner blade is about the size of your thumbnail, and must be oriented such that the concave side faces the hook.  (It won’t spin if you put it on the other way.).   It’s a #2 Colorado style blade.

 

The other end of the leader material is tied to a small 3-way swivel, which has a snap on one leg.  You put a 1-oz dipsey sinker onto the snap.

 

A fairly simple and fun rig to tie.  This all reminds me that I need to tie up a few of these.  I’m running low.

 

Edited by gadabout

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/16/2021 at 4:32 PM, JohnW93 said:

Appreciate the response! I’m guessing you just throw some gulp in a ziploc and carry it with you? 

Or even just pork rind. I'm fluking, Officer, if I were fishing for stripers, I'd be here at night - and have a couple of plugs, too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/17/2021 at 8:32 PM, gadabout said:

 

 

1E7AEC66-EF1B-4134-B1A5-DB57D2517786.jpeg


Here’s an old rusty one I just pulled out of my tackle bag.

 

The “Sneaky Pete” part is the two hooks snelled in tandem onto a piece of leader material, maybe 14” - 18” long.  You put a pennant-shaped squid strip on the two hooks - this helps with short striking fluke.

 

The rest of the rig consists of 6 plastic beads slid onto the leader material, followed by a spinner blade with clevis, followed by another bead.  The spinner blade is about the size of your thumbnail, and must be oriented such that the concave side faces the hook.  (It won’t spin if you put it on the other way.).   It’s a #2 Colorado style blade.

 

The other end of the leader material is tied to a small 3-way swivel, which has a snap on one leg.  You put a 1-oz dipsey sinker onto the snap.

 

A fairly simple and fun rig to tie.  This all reminds me that I need to tie up a few of these.  I’m running low.

 

Thanks!   That's a perfect description and pic!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/18/2021 at 9:02 PM, BrianBM said:

Or even just pork rind. I'm fluking, Officer, if I were fishing for stripers, I'd be here at night - and have a couple of plugs, too.

"Really" said the officer while writing the ticket.

" I believe you, I really do, but explain that to the judge, too."

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Popasilov said:

"Really" said the officer while writing the ticket.

" I believe you, I really do, but explain that to the judge, too."

 

 

Nobody is getting a ticket for using pork rind. I bet 5% of officers even know a rind is made of pork. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.