lurejunkie00

Penn 5500ss

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

I’ve been looking for one of these for a while. Found 4, all in different places, every one had a broken anti-reverse. I have 2 650ss , a 750ss and a 7500 ss and and never had a problem with any of them.  Is there a design flaw in the 5500 ? 

pretty much every single 5500 is broken or will break.  I don't recall the technical reason but penn did change something when they added a 0 to the model. You want the 550 not the 5500. And to be honest, neither one because there are better alternatives where the rotor doesn't slap back at you a whole spool revolution, practically. 

Like Fly By Night said the better of the two 550SS l still have two and you can double dog them as l did some years back l posted pictures of the mod.

Common problem on all the SS series reels. Easy fix. Used to buy dogs and ratchets for all the reels I had. Mid season change and never had a failure after that.

Yes they are sloppy compared to today’s AR clutch bearings but even those fail.

Those SS reels were tough and I rely liked my 6500 bail less on a 10 footer.

It’s not a design flaw, just a different way of stopping the rotor from going backwards. Needs to be serviced as it’s an expendable part and it’s simple to replace.

The 5500SS is still one of my favored mid size spinning reels. Parts are readily available and if you like the 4500SS as well, many of the parts are interchangeable. I have converted all my 5500 & 4500 reels to manual bail, and that cuts down on the crack sound of your lure sailing away, no longer attached to your line. The anti-reverse is kind of hokey, it uses a thin wire spring with a kink in it, that is very easy to install improperly. (Friction dog spring #230N-5500) and that is probably why you find these reels for sale with non functioning anti-reverse The 4500 & 5500  SS reels are always there as my back-up when less sturdy reels fail.

This is a mod l did to a Penn 650SS, l don't remember if the 550SS has the same antie reverse it's called double dogging. l did these mods 25 years ago.

217aaefe_DSC02921Medium.jpeg

The MPU conversion that l also did.

f5cd6735_DSC02808Small.jpeg

Another mod that was a great upgrade to the reel was installing a pinion support sleeve into the pinion and adding a bushing to the opinion support bose, you can see part of the bushing sticking out past the support housing along with the pinion sleeve insert that takes out the wobble from the rotor and prolongs the life of the brass pinion.

Notices the geares there like ZB and VS geares but made of brass,

.med_ecb6f2b5_vbattach444403.jpg

59 mins ago, LB said:

This is a mod l did to a Penn 650SS, l don't remember if the 550SS has the same antie reverse it's called double dogging. l did these mods 25 years ago.

217aaefe_DSC02921Medium.jpeg

The MPU conversion that l also did.

f5cd6735_DSC02808Small.jpeg

Another mod that was a great upgrade to the reel was installing a pinion support sleeve into the pinion and adding a bushing to the opinion support bose, you can see part of the bushing sticking out past the support housing along with the pinion sleeve insert that takes out the wobble from the rotor and prolongs the life of the brass pinion.

Notices the geares there like ZB and VS geares but made of brass,

.med_ecb6f2b5_vbattach444403.jpg

I thought that the top dog was the anti reverse and the bottom dog was a clicker that when you moved the bottom lever made the reel silent when you cranked the handle..

On 7/17/2021 at 9:24 AM, sytheteacher said:

I thought that the top dog was the anti reverse and the bottom dog was a clicker that when you moved the bottom lever made the reel silent when you cranked the handle..

On these reels there was only one working dog, l don't have a reel that is still in the OEM state but you could be right on the bottom leaver as to what it done.

Double doging just about made it foul proof.