t0phtrt

Help me get to FL

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Help depressed NYer find a rental: studio/1 BR/Room/Basement/Shed. Need way more fish, dog friendly beaches and walking distance to ocean in safe neighborhood. Flagler Beach, Fernandina Beach were 2 places I found like that but anywhere that checks those boxes. Want to be out by 12/1. My rental means are limited by my disability and having a service dog. But I do have money and can pay my rent. I will also make you any plugs you want. And I’m good.

Aren't legit (licensed) service dogs permitted on Florida beaches? According to a pamphlet by Florida Audubon (https://fl.audubon.org/sites/default/files/static_pages/attachments/dogs_on_the_beach12.pdf) that's not a problem. On the linked page:

Are service dogs allowed on the beach?
In accordance with Americans with Disabilities Act Title III regulations, disabled individuals are allowed to be accompanied by service dogs on any beach open to the public. A service dog is trained to do specific tasks directly related to the owner’s disability. Emotional support animals, comfort animals and therapy dogs are not considered service animals under Title II and Title III of the ADA and therefore are not permitted on beaches that are closed to pets. A service dog must remain under the owner’s control at all times. Any individual whose failure to maintain control of a dog results in disturbance to wildlife will be asked to leave the beach and may receive a citation.
For more information:
Florida Fish and Wildlife
Conservation Commission
Coastal Wildlife Conservation Initiative
3377 East US Highway 90
Lake City, FL 32055
MyFWC.com/conservation
Coastal@MyFWC.com
(386) 754-1668

it is not cheap but the Juno Beach and Jupiter area of SE coast have both dog-friendly beaches as well as open ocean and intracoastal fishing. if i read your comment right and you will be leaving here by Dec 1, then you could be here for the autumn mullet run too. 

5 mins ago, Nils S said:

Aren't legit (licensed) service dogs permitted on Florida beaches? According to a pamphlet by Florida Audubon (https://fl.audubon.org/sites/default/files/static_pages/attachments/dogs_on_the_beach12.pdf) that's not a problem. On the linked page:

Are service dogs allowed on the beach?
In accordance with Americans with Disabilities Act Title III regulations, disabled individuals are allowed to be accompanied by service dogs on any beach open to the public. A service dog is trained to do specific tasks directly related to the owner’s disability. Emotional support animals, comfort animals and therapy dogs are not considered service animals under Title II and Title III of the ADA and therefore are not permitted on beaches that are closed to pets. A service dog must remain under the owner’s control at all times. Any individual whose failure to maintain control of a dog results in disturbance to wildlife will be asked to leave the beach and may receive a citation.
For more information:
Florida Fish and Wildlife
Conservation Commission
Coastal Wildlife Conservation Initiative
3377 East US Highway 90
Lake City, FL 32055
MyFWC.com/conservation
Coastal@MyFWC.com
(386) 754-1668

Yes but prefer dog friendly beaches. Prefer to  avoid encounters w officers and people who don’t like dogs. Peace of mind

4 mins ago, flyangler said:

it is not cheap but the Juno Beach and Jupiter area of SE coast have both dog-friendly beaches as well as open ocean and intracoastal fishing. if i read your comment right and you will be leaving here by Dec 1, then you could be here for the autumn mullet run too. 

Thanks I’ll check those out. I have read about this mullet run. Yes please. 

In Florida a service animal will not keep you from renting a no pets place. 

I know obviously you’re looking further north but keep in mind rents are high in Florida in a more, how to say, less problem area. The basic area we all live in. 

An apt here in SWFL at 800 sq is starting at $1400. If you want a garage with it it’s extra, carport it’s extra. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

9 hours ago, saltfisherman said:

In Florida a service animal will not keep you from renting a no pets place. 

I know obviously you’re looking further north but keep in mind rents are high in Florida in a more, how to say, less problem area. The basic area we all live in. 

An apt here in SWFL at 800 sq is starting at $1400. If you want a garage with it it’s extra, carport it’s extra. 

Everyone discriminates. No one cares bc there’s no way to prove it. I need to stop disclosing the fact that I have one. I’m paying 1600 in NY right now for a hole in the wall above a bar so I’m fine with the rent. I just can’t get anyone to rent to me. 

oh and I’m looking everywhere. Just the places I’ve found so far have been north. 

Edited by t0phtrt

Are you stuck on the EC where I live on the SW coast everyone has dogs, they rent for 6 or 8 months minimum.  Boca Grande allows dogs.  It's in your price range and you have ammenities.

13 hours ago, beatonem said:

Are you stuck on the EC where I live on the SW coast everyone has dogs, they rent for 6 or 8 months minimum.  Boca Grande allows dogs.  It's in your price range and you have ammenities.

Allows them on the beach?

13 hours ago, towpro said:

it sounds like you want to be out of NY by 12/1 and your plan it to move to Florida Full time?

Yea by 12/1. Won’t survive another winter. But the sooner the better. 

I've been down here 2 yrs. I'm 40 mins south of Flagler. It's nice there. 

My advice to you is look from sebastin to ft pierce. Two very hot inlets to fish. Sebastin is nice. Laid back. Prices are reasonable.

If you have a handicap sticker or plates for your car all public parking in florida is free. 

That being said. Do a budget carefully. Food, cable and electric are all similar to long island. First time you register your car and get your license it will cost you 400 bucks. After that renewal is cheap. Car insurance is more than NY.  

Overall it's a pretty good state to live in.

16 hours ago, reelfire said:

I've been down here 2 yrs. I'm 40 mins south of Flagler. It's nice there. 

My advice to you is look from sebastin to ft pierce. Two very hot inlets to fish. Sebastin is nice. Laid back. Prices are reasonable.

If you have a handicap sticker or plates for your car all public parking in florida is free. 

That being said. Do a budget carefully. Food, cable and electric are all similar to long island. First time you register your car and get your license it will cost you 400 bucks. After that renewal is cheap. Car insurance is more than NY.  

Overall it's a pretty good state to live in.

Thank you very helpful. appreciate it

5 mins ago, t0phtrt said:

Thank you very helpful. appreciate it

Welcome , if I can be any help before you get here let me know. I travel all over florida and have a handle on alot of areas . Also when you get here we can fish.