lurejunkie00

Plug building components

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

For tail weights I use stuff boughten from a plug tackle store. But for belly weights I been using 1/4" lead coil. Could really use something in a 1/2" size though. 

4 hours ago, TopStriperAngler said:

TIG welding rod wire. Used to use 316L. Switched to 308L. 308L is easier to work with, easier on the hands. 

316L is a much better choice for corrosion .. it is an Austenitic grain structure which means it will work  harden (308L will do the same thing but not as quickly)  the more its bent or twisted.. but if you heat the wire it will soften back up again and start the "process" (Grain structure becoming finer) over again.. 

not sure if this helps any but figured I would throw it out there..   

1 hour ago, Carlezon said:

316L is a much better choice for corrosion .. it is an Austenitic grain structure which means it will work  harden (308L will do the same thing but not as quickly)  the more its bent or twisted.. but if you heat the wire it will soften back up again and start the "process" (Grain structure becoming finer) over again.. 

not sure if this helps any but figured I would throw it out there..   

Carlezon thx. That work hardening is what I didn't like about the 316L. As to corrosion, I only been using 308L for this season. Any idea what happens to the 308L when it corrodes--are we talking it weakening and breaking much easier if it gets bent? Or will it become really weak at points where it is bent already? 

Any type of corrosion is going to weaken and compound a fatigue point.. Those are two different 

types of failures ... One is chemical one is embrittlment of the grain structure..thats why airplanes

that are of certain age are decommissioned even though there are no visible signs of fatigue and 

the list goes on and on vibratory gravel screens ect.. chemical attack can be likewise the same..

in various different industries as well .. 316L is part of the 300 series of stainless steel which is  an Austenitic grain structure meaning non magnetic and it derives its hardness through work- 
hardening.. the more its hit or bent the harder it gets..A" hoe- ram" on an excavator  breaking ledge on  road construction is a work hardening material its manganese but its still has an Austenitic structure 

within it .. tuff as the gates of hell as they say..300 series could be used but it would be way to expensive so they use manganese.. technical the 316L is far superior to the 308L 

when it comes to corrosion resistance the high chromium nickel and added molybdenum make it 

suitable for areo-space ect The L just means low carbon generally for whats called the heat affected zone which can cause embrittlement and corrosion thats why the carbon is kept to a minimum..

so to answer your question >> My grandfather would say this figuring between right and wrong is easy to decide but figuring between right and best is hard to decide.. 308L will do the job but 316L will do 

it better you decide.. lol best 

Thanks Carlezon. Well, I guess I'll fish this 308L stuff and see what happens. I did have SS swivels I boughten from one of the plug hardware shops fail on me. They turned greenish and failed and required rewiring of the plug which is no good. So I've been on the losing side of this corrosion thing. 

I think it was Rosco swivels I boughten. Not sure. 

yeah SS can be very misleading term when it comes to uses..steels and alloys 

should be thought of in terms of purpose.. you wouldn't use tool steel to make a chandelier

or cast iron when you need spring steel..ect..ss is the same way.. Success and failure is usually 

engineered into the design.. If it lasts X amount of seasons for X amount of dollars.. It all becomes relative to each individual and their personal expectations and so on...Best of luck 

That being said I have used 308L for 20 years in plug  building and never had any issues with corrosion. If the plug was sitting in saltwater 24/7 it may be an issue but it is more than good enough for plugs and easier to use than 316. I use both because I get it at work but if I was buying it would be 308L for easy of use. 

14 hours ago, Steel Pulse said:

That being said I have used 308L for 20 years in plug  building and never had any issues with corrosion. If the plug was sitting in saltwater 24/7 it may be an issue but it is more than good enough for plugs and easier to use than 316. I use both because I get it at work but if I was buying it would be 308L for easy of use. 

Thats great... Rock On / Fish on.. lol

21 hours ago, Steel Pulse said:

Thanks Steel for sharing your experience. I do notice quite a difference between the 316 and the 308 when wiring!