Dave Peros

Monoifilament Line Suggestions and Input

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

Before anyone gets all funny and suggests that mono line goes along with the age of dinosaurs and that everyone uses braid nowadays, I am still using Silver Thread and doing just fine, thank you very much. I have heard all the issues with braid and in my guiding business, which is strictly about casting, I guarantee that the size of the sneezes that my spinning reels would offer up when used by folks without much experience is enough to keep me away. Heck, even those who should know better refuse to flip the bail by hand to avoid loose coils and subsequent "windknots."

All of that said, Silver Thread has gone the way of the dinosaurs and even though I have been lucky enough to get some bulk spools on eBay and elsewhere, I know the writing is on the wall and I am going to have to switch to another brand of mono very soon. I am looking at Jinkai and Sufix as opposed to the old standbys like Ande and Trilene and wondering if anyone has any experience with the former to help guide my search. I realize Jinkai is typically associated with offshore fishing and thus heavier categories and I never hear about lower pound test categories, but the overall impression I get is they make great line. A local tackle shop uses a type of Sufix on their inexpensive outfits and said it was OK at best, but I know they make different categories of mono. 

Remember, I'm talking about line with good casting characteristics and excellent knot strength, since I don't use any hardware to connect line to leader and leader to lure. I am also partial to softer mono as opposed to stiffer, springier stuff; for example, if I trusted Trilene, I would go with XL as opposed to XT.

Thanks in advance for any help. 

Dave

I don't like braid.  I have used BBG for years, never a problem. If I did it was my fault. I only use braid on my Tog rod I use at IRI during colder months. I catch just as many fish as guy's using braid. I like BBG,  For big drum on my conventional heaver I use Trilean 17 # mono. Works great. Also some guy'sswear by Andie.  On my heaver I sometimes go to 20 # or 25# mono BBG.  I use mostly mono shock leaders, or for clear water ,I'll use floro. Thight Lines.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Personally I'm a Berkley big game believer. Also a fan of the trilene XL. The only problem I have with the big game is it is thicker.  I think 20lb big game is .45 and 20lb trilene is .40. I never let that stop me from running the big game. Lately though I have been using whisker seeker tackle's 30lb mono on my catfish rigs .45mm, ties great knots, very tough and abrasion resistant comes on 500yd spools, BUT only comes in bright orange. 

Edited by rtren480

I like Momoi Hi Catch.      very soft and knots don't slip.     Not sure if it is available in the lower pound test ranges you fish.     I'm a 50+ kinda guy   

Posted (edited) · Report post

I am/was a big fan of Ande Premium in green. It is supple and yet it is durable. I was actually thinking of going back to it for Albies … 10lb for it's stretching characteristics. 

Edited by smellfish

What pound test?

I have been using P-Line Copolymer CXX 6#  on spinning reels for years.  Breaking strength over 13 lb with 6 lb diameter.  I use it for redfish and trout and have caught probably a couple hundred reds over 15 lb with it.  I do use a short fluorocarbon leader for abrasion resistance.

6# stays limp, higher tests seem to have a lot of memory.

Good Thread - Thank you. I too will soon be out of Silver thread for all my casting reels, It has always been my favorite mono, although technically it is a co-polymer. I dont know the official difference

In smaller pound test (under 20) I was always a fan of Maxima Chameleon.  But I haven't fished it in prolly a decade. Was my go to for fresh in snaggy water.

7 hours ago, Dave Peros said:

Before anyone gets all funny and suggests that mono line goes along with the age of dinosaurs and that everyone uses braid nowadays, I am still using Silver Thread and doing just fine, thank you very much. I have heard all the issues with braid and in my guiding business, which is strictly about casting, I guarantee that the size of the sneezes that my spinning reels would offer up when used by folks without much experience is enough to keep me away. Heck, even those who should know better refuse to flip the bail by hand to avoid loose coils and subsequent "windknots."

All of that said, Silver Thread has gone the way of the dinosaurs and even though I have been lucky enough to get some bulk spools on eBay and elsewhere, I know the writing is on the wall and I am going to have to switch to another brand of mono very soon. I am looking at Jinkai and Sufix as opposed to the old standbys like Ande and Trilene and wondering if anyone has any experience with the former to help guide my search. I realize Jinkai is typically associated with offshore fishing and thus heavier categories and I never hear about lower pound test categories, but the overall impression I get is they make great line. A local tackle shop uses a type of Sufix on their inexpensive outfits and said it was OK at best, but I know they make different categories of mono. 

Remember, I'm talking about line with good casting characteristics and excellent knot strength, since I don't use any hardware to connect line to leader and leader to lure. I am also partial to softer mono as opposed to stiffer, springier stuff; for example, if I trusted Trilene, I would go with XL as opposed to XT.

Thanks in advance for any help. 

Dave

Sea striker clear premium or Cabela's salt striker copolymer mono.

Love both and both are soft and cast well.

I use both and even others.

Another sold at Walmart for $1.74per 250 yd spool is  pictured below,strong and behaves nice.

HH 

IMG_20210601_210007.jpg.6352af34f6e95ba4b1eff432a7e8af97.jpg

IMG_20210716_163551.jpg.297d08984c333585405ed9972ca9998b.jpg

4 mins ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

Sea striker clear premium or Cabela's salt striker copolymer mono.

Love both and both are soft and cast well.

I use both and even others.

Another sold at Walmart for $1.74per 250 yd spool is  pictured below,strong and behaves nice.

HH 

IMG_20210601_210007.jpg.6352af34f6e95ba4b1eff432a7e8af97.jpg

IMG_20210716_163551.jpg.297d08984c333585405ed9972ca9998b.jpg

That Omniflex is surprisingly good for the money.  I haven’t fished it in a few years, but when I did I remember liking it.