no name

kayak recommendations

26 posts in this topic

I have a problem. I have a old town predator and have fallen out of it many times. Mostly in rough water in the bay. My problem is I have had 2 back surgery's and it limits my mobility/bending at the back. I can't reach to touch the water without falling out. I am 60 years old and have trouble loading and unloading. The seat is too high off the water for me. So I would like some feedback/recommendations on a lite weight kayak that I can put a rod holder on. It doesn't have to be a fishing kayak just something to fish from. I am 230#, 6' and need a comfy seat due to back. would also lean towards a pedal kayak but not a deal breaker. Need lite weight and stable. I also want something 10' or less. Thanks!

Posted (edited) · Report post

I picked up a hobie passport 12 a few months ago. So far more that pleased with it. Every easy to fish from, very stable, kickup fins, and comfy seat. Only negative is manual rutter, not much storage, and no reverse (have to use paddle). To get them wasn't worth the extra 800 to move up to compass. 

Edited by cec127

Any peddle kayak is going to be a lot heavier than a comparable paddle kayak, no? The Mirage 10.5 weighs a bit more than a Prowler 13. I'm thinking the extra width would be at least offset by the higher seated position?

atv223, Looking at pics of lynx the seat seems to sit high from water. That is one of the reasons I don't like the predator. thanks for the heads up. I will look at it in person though. I like the weight of it.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I think he is referencing the person who originally posted the question? No name ? Always a good idea to test paddle or pedal before you buy ?  I don't think he meant to offend you?

You don't really have a name connected to your post ?  According to google OP is slang for original poster  or person who started the thread on internet forums ?

Edited by dbjpb

dbjpb, thanks for responding. I took no offence at all. I don't have alot of experience with technology so I'm not familiar with the lingo. I plan on testing a few. Probably wait till next year to buy due to shortage and pricing at this time. I will use my predator till then. Thanks again.

I love my Hobie Outback. Not the lightest, so I bought an aluminum jet ski trailer and it makes the weight a non factor. I am 74 years old, have neck and back problems, but I often fish for 6-7 hours and have no problem while in the pedal yak. I find the seat very comfortable.

Now if you were to see me getting out after a long day of fishing you might laugh. Every joint has stiffened up and walking up the ramp seems like I am climbing Mt Everest. Good luck shopping for what is best for you.

The most problematic spec you've given is 10', it's hard to be bayworthy at that length, especially at your weight. You need to demo some boats outside of the usual fishing platforms, and especially the lawn chair models. Top of my list would be a Ocean Kayak Scrambler, it's 11.5', but under 50#. Very stable, low seat. It's discontinued but being an extremely popular resort fleet boat because of their stability and that they stack, there's tons of them that come to the used market.

OceanKayak_Scrambler11_Yellow_Comp.png?w

16 hours ago, gellfex said:

The most problematic spec you've given is 10', it's hard to be bayworthy at that length, especially at your weight. You need to demo some boats outside of the usual fishing platforms, and especially the lawn chair models. Top of my list would be a Ocean Kayak Scrambler, it's 11.5', but under 50#. Very stable, low seat. It's discontinued but being an extremely popular resort fleet boat because of their stability and that they stack, there's tons of them that come to the used market.

OceanKayak_Scrambler11_Yellow_Comp.png?w

I have an OK Scrambler I bought new back around 1997 that we still use today.  It's a great kayak, but I would NEVER recommend it to someone over 200 lbs who falls out of a old town predator.  I've put bigger guys in the scrambler who are new to kayaking and they fall out so fast it's hard to believe! 

I think the OP has difficult set of criteria to meet.

If he want's stable and close to the water, his best option may be an older Outback pre-vantage seat.  But those seats aren't what most people consider "comfortable".  

ATatv223, thanks for the input. I have  tried the scrambler and it wasn't a  comfortable  seat. It's not that I'm clumsy but after 2 back surgery's I can't bend and have to lean more and that's why the high seat doesn't work for me. I do love. the seat on the old town.

1 hour ago, no name said:

ATatv223, thanks for the input. I have  tried the scrambler and it wasn't a  comfortable  seat. It's not that I'm clumsy but after 2 back surgery's I can't bend and have to lean more and that's why the high seat doesn't work for me. I do love. the seat on the old town.

I really think your best option is a 2013 or earlier Outback. A very stable platform and the seat is the old style which is low so you’re at the water line. It’s not going to be as comfy as the newer seats. I think you’re going to have to strike a compromise between being low to the water and a very comfortable seat.