evancanalrat

Fluke short strike

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I’ve started fishing for fluke from shore with buck tails and gulp. I’ve notice while using the 5 inch gulp sand eels, I’m getting a lot of violent short strikes. And the eels are still intact but have some small tooth marks. When I feel these strikes, I’ve tried dropping the jig back, and keeping up the same retrieve. Any suggestions? 

Edited by evancanalrat

3 mins ago, sytheteacher said:

Try a four inch Gulp and then a three inch Gulp.. Get the fish closer to the hook...

Very true, but these fish seem to disproportionately strike the Sandeel, compared to the grubs. 

1 hour ago, sytheteacher said:

Try a four inch Gulp and then a three inch Gulp.. Get the fish closer to the hook...

This, and you could also try a stinger hook tied to your main hook.  

I often downsize to half gulps or bloodworms when i get short strikes, as I have found that sometimes a short strike while shore fluking can be a Kingfish. 

A few years ago my son started using a 3/4 oz kastmaster with treble replaced with a 2/0 truturn catfish hook and a 3 or 4" gulp, the teaser 16ish " above the lure using a oshaunessy #2 hook (not 2/0) with a piece of bloodworm.  

It does rather well for shore fluke, kingfish, and by removing the teaser can effectively reach blues etc.  

I digress.  Try downsizing.  Try a stinger and UPsizing.  Reduce pace of retrieve.  One of these or something similar will work.

31 mins ago, 55555s said:

I often downsize to half gulps or bloodworms when i get short strikes, as I have found that sometimes a short strike while shore fluking can be a Kingfish. 

A few years ago my son started using a 3/4 oz kastmaster with treble replaced with a 2/0 truturn catfish hook and a 3 or 4" gulp, the teaser 16ish " above the lure using a oshaunessy #2 hook (not 2/0) with a piece of bloodworm.  

It does rather well for shore fluke, kingfish, and by removing the teaser can effectively reach blues etc.  

I digress.  Try downsizing.  Try a stinger and UPsizing.  Reduce pace of retrieve.  One of these or something similar will work.

agree with all this.  stop fishing and start catching w this plan. 

20 mins ago, bronson said:

agree with all this.  stop fishing and start catching w this plan. 

I was even thinking of trying a gulp grub on a jig head.

1 hour ago, 55555s said:

Need to try this it sounds deadly

Don't add a stinger hook, don't downsize - if those are fluke they are shorts.

An 18" fluke will inhale that 5" gulp sandeel before you can reel down to set the hook.  

Try giving them more time.  They grab bait by the tail to immobilize it.  If you reduce the tension and wait a few seconds you will then feel it taking the bait down further until it is completely in the mouth and throat.  When all the mouthing is over, start increasing the line tension slowly and set the hook when the fish comes up off the bottom.

If they in fact are tuned into small sand eels, try a slightly smaller rubber sand eel. I don’t know if they make them any more, but one of my most effective teasers in fall when Bass are tuned into sand eels is the 4” holographic sand eel.

Funny, I’ve seen blues feeding selectively on small sand eels in summer. They wouldn’t bite on anything else. 
I love that little lure.

JD

5 hours ago, buddha162 said:

Don't add a stinger hook, don't downsize - if those are fluke they are shorts.

An 18" fluke will inhale that 5" gulp sandeel before you can reel down to set the hook.  

This

I agree with others saying they are either snappers, kingfish, etc.    If your targeting keeper fluke, just keep doing what you are doing and ignore the small hits. 

8 hours ago, 55555s said:

I do this most of the year with a variety of tins & metals.   Charlie Graves J1 in tin is my goto these days. But Dan Tinman makes a PeanutBunker in tin that's pretty awesome.   With the bucktail, I stick a GULP on it and fish it like a bucktail jig.  

I just got a small diamond jig mold, going to try those out in the same manner.  Like these only 1/2 & 3/4oz. 

IMG_20210607_141157.jpg.932fd426c6d84346ec6808f28bdea5b2.jpg

7 hours ago, BG_NJ said:

Need to try this it sounds deadly

It really is.    

I have some small GULP sandworms (2in) & shrimp (3in) that I've come to like.   Plus they're pretty tough.