Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Inshore

NEW Daiwa Saltist MQ

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

I would try more daiwa reels if it wasn't for the airbail.... they certainly pass the store fondle test...doesn't seem like it would save that much weight would rather have solid wire. has anyone had issues with airbail failure.? Or is it all in my head... 

11 hours ago, jeffapeikin said:

What about the Daiwa BG mq seems cheap?

I had the 4000, 6K/8K may be different.

Drag knob-cheap

Check the bottom of the spool-cheap

Remove the rear boot-oscillating guide is actually imbedded in rear of body, and butts up on and relies on being against the rear boot.

No real connection.

Just not to my liking.

Small and light, it is! 

12 hours ago, patfont said:

I had the 4000, 6K/8K may be different.

Drag knob-cheap

Check the bottom of the spool-cheap

Remove the rear boot-oscillating guide is actually imbedded in rear of body, and butts up on and relies on being against the rear boot.

No real connection.

Just not to my liking.

Small and light, it is! 

Thanks for the reply. I was just curious. I want to love the BG mq as I do like the Daiwa bg3000. It catches me fish. But yeah the BG mq looks cool and is smooth when reeling amd the drag is strong, but should have a nicer handle and drag knob at the price point to me. 

33 mins ago, jeffapeikin said:

Thanks for the reply. I was just curious. I want to love the BG mq as I do like the Daiwa bg3000. It catches me fish. But yeah the BG mq looks cool and is smooth when reeling amd the drag is strong, but should have a nicer handle and drag knob at the price point to me. 

Yes, same I wanted to like it also. I had the BG 3000 and prefer it to the MQ. Moved to a Spheros SW4000 which is a bit better overall then the BG

8 hours ago, patfont said:

Yes, same I wanted to like it also. I had the BG 3000 and prefer it to the MQ. Moved to a Spheros SW4000 which is a bit better overall then the BG

Yeah those shimano with worm gear are great casting reels. 

On 8/5/2021 at 3:56 PM, juan29 said:

I owned the last saltist and it lasted one season before needing to be sent to the factory to be serviced, for $60 and some magsealed lube that only the factory can dish out. Can't even get reel serviced on the east coast. Last Daiwa reel i will be purchasing. Wish Penn would step it up, but Shimano is in a league of its own. 

The the mag seals do what they are designed to do but i did expect after market tools to be available by now. 

They could have had a contender if they just sealed the BG MQ right for what it's advertised for, they have so many reels with the same exact flimsy seals (plus the standard BG is still around)...they should've went the extra mile on this one and got more innovative maybe sealing it like the old Z saltiga. Give it a aluminum main gear, and smaller bottom plate. The problem is if they did all that it would mess up the whole pricing of their high end lines like Certate and Saltiga. 

I'm also curious about the gear material... I have a feeling its cast zinc just like the BG, BG mq and saltist. I love that they added the ziaon rotor... but really hoping theres more than just a cast zinc gear in a $300+ reel...

1 min ago, viper2788 said:

I'm also curious about the gear material... I have a feeling its cast zinc just like the BG, BG mq and saltist. I love that they added the ziaon rotor... but really hoping theres more than just a cast zinc gear in a $300+ reel...

Nope it's the same.