Farflung

Rod Storage + heat

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

I'm getting ready to store a bunch of rods in a new shed that I have. Going to put them in a rack below the rafters. The shed has two louvered vents (one on each end). Gets pretty hot up there. Has anyone had any experience in storing rods in such a situation. Had them in a rack in my barn and it was pretty hot, and I had no problem.

Any eXperience with this situation?

It wouldn't hurt to put an electronic thermometer in there that records max & min temperature. This way you can see what's really going on in there. What if you you learn that sometimes it reaches 130 degrees in there? We must protect our precious rods. World records depend on this type of behavior. :)

Posted (edited) · Report post

Small exhaust fan will help your rods and your shed live longer.

Sounds like you get direct sun,  get a solar powered fan.

You can get small ones for under 50.00.

I put one on the boat and it worked great to stop mildew and vent the cabin.  Simple to install as well

Edited by Captain Ahab

Some stay in my truck, probably gets 120 in there on a hot day, so far no issues and thats been 40+ years. Last year used a rod with 14 lb. mono that was at least 10 years old, stored between my garage and truck so both hot and cold conditions, no issues with the rod, reel or line with fish up to 29# in the surf on plugs. I use my stuff to fish with, storage takes a back seat and isn't that important to me as other than some rubber that melted and some smelly jelly that leaked, everything else stays well.

Posted (edited) · Report post

When my Father passed away 10 years ago, I cleaned out his shed for my sister, He had a few fiber glass rods stored in there for years. They looked like chit, all loss color and faded, fiber glass looked like it had hair line cracks all over them. Two things I do , #1 I never drive down the road with my rods in a rod rack. All in the back of my suv. #2 I don't leave anything in the heat for long, Metal detectors, My rods and reels, I treat them like they were royals. I keep everything clean. My rods are to valuble to me to be stored in high heat and unheated sheds. I store all my rods in my heated basemant, I store them in those round standing rod racks. Just my way.

Edited by hunter123

Thanks for all the responses. I  like the  idea of using a solar powered fan. I am trying to  keep electricity out of the shed and am putting in a outside power stanchion that I can plug into when I'm there. Paranoid about fire, so the  plug in spot for when I'm there is  the way I'm going. I  could put in a solar powered fan in a manner that should be fireproof.

Heat can be problematic in storage.

In your shed situation hanging them from the roof rafters is where all the heat will be hottest. Even if your shed is under a tree this time of the year it still can get hot.

I’ve seen rods get wrecked by truck roof storage, it can go past 135 degrees up there.

I’ve had tips melt off b/c they were in the windshield.

Overall, you should be OK with your storage situation. Circulating some air will help.

I keep my rods in my attached garage not climate controlled all year long with my old Chevy and have never had an issue for 25+ years. Had one rod take a set to the right but clearly not from be hung horizontally.

UV damage to your rods and your skin should be of more concern.