rockyoutdoors

A Question For Electricians Here....pic

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

So I bought a Halo direct mount recessed downlight today because when I was on the phone with old ugly Doorgunner this morning and Mrs rocky decided to change a light bulb on her own in the office. She interrupted our conference call to tell me she smelled something burning in the office. ....Woman!

Ok so now I purchased a new light and this warning label is printed on the back of the junction box. The upper left hand corner writing is what I am confused about. (ONLY SUITIBLE FOR USE WITH CABLES. NOT FOR PULLING WIRE. Not sure what that means? Any help is appreciated and Old Ugly Doorgunner is just a little bit older and always uglier after you had to read this long post.

217778122_10220614344614783_637204728850

Edited by rockyoutdoors

Mrs Rocky had to change a lightbulb? Please don't tell me the hired help got tired and ran off? 

1 min ago, ByronPA said:

Mrs Rocky had to change a lightbulb? Please don't tell me the hired help got tired and ran off? 

I wish, but every time I try to hire a young hot French au pair she reminds me we do not have children. :banghd:

Just now, Ditchbag said:

Do you always read the directions?

No, but when it comes to electrical questions I ask because I do not like fires.

10 mins ago, rockyoutdoors said:

So I bought a Halo direct mount recessed downlight today because when I was on the phone with old ugly Doorgunner this morning and Mrs rocky decided to change a light bulb on her own in the office. She interrupted our conference call to tell me she smelled something burning in the office. ....Woman!

Ok so now I purchased a new light and this warning label is printed on the back of the junction box. The upper left hand corner writing is what I am confused about. (ONLY SUITIBLE FOR USE WITH CABLES. NOT FOR PULLING WIRE. Not sure what that means? Any help is appreciated and Old Ugly Doorgunner is just a little bit older and always uglier after you had to read this long post.

217778122_10220614344614783_637204728850

Pulling wire is individual wires pulled through conduit and not jacketed like 12/2 or 12/3 Romex cable.

Rocky, it means not to be used as a pull thru box. The box is only designed for end of use wire cables. 

You can feed in and, out with another cable assembly. As if you were to string a few of them together on a switch. 

Walk out on the street and ask the first guy you see, preferably a homeless bum, if he wants to pull your wire. 

6 mins ago, Belmo said:

Walk out on the street and ask the first guy you see, preferably a homeless bum, if he wants to pull your wire. 

You really want Terry to do it, dontcha?

6 mins ago, slicedcornbread said:

Pulling wire is individual wires pulled through conduit and not jacketed like 12/2 or 12/3 Romex cable.

Thank you. I never heard that term before.

5 mins ago, hobobob said:

Wet your fingers and touch the wires to see if you can feel anything tingly.  If not, you are safe.:howdy:

Grandfather use to do that.

5 mins ago, Billybob said:

I would use cable, and not pulling wire.

Apparently.

Thank you. As I said before it just didn't compute what they meant in my non-electrician mind.

5 mins ago, saltfisherman said:

Rocky, it means not to be used as a pull thru box. The box is only designed for end of use wire cables. 

You can feed in and, out with another cable assembly. As if you were to string a few of them together on a switch. 

Thanks Salty, I wont forget this lesson.

4 mins ago, Belmo said:

My luck it would be Old Ugly Doorgunner!

1 hour ago, saltfisherman said:

This seems like the proper response - don’t use it for a junction box, but you can make necessary connections in the box up to 6 @ 12ga or 8 @ 14ga. 
So if it’s between two other lights or goes to a switch, yer fine :th:  

*****Not an electrician but I did gut two floors of my house after Sandy, installed a new panel and completely rewired those two floors with the help of an $8 book and passed inspection the first time :beers: