What is considered a successful tide for fishing

Rate this topic

jeffapeikin

Lately, I have been in a streak where I can normally catch at least a bass each outing. Got me thinking what do others on here consider a successful outing . If you are really intent on fishing? This could lead into other topics possibly?

let’s go.

for me it's very condition dependent.  some nights I am happy to get a couple fish because at least i was doing something right and the conditions were tough.  Some nights i go out expecting a few fish an hour for an average if the conditions are good. 

then some nights you just walk in to something and 50 fish later you're still looking for a few more!

Tides tend to matter more on location and wind direction, some areas are better on a dropping tide, others on an incoming. Best advice I can give is learn a few specific areas well and then you can determine where to go at specific stages of the tides. 50 fish tides were once much more common than these days, and in almost all of those situations its fish from 4-8 8lbs, with an occasional teen size fish mixed in. 

I wouldn't plan or cancel a fishing excursion based on tide, fish when you can and when you want, do remember dark hours mean less people, more fish and more opportunity. 

"Thats as big as a fish that size gets" - Russ Wilson
RIP JM

It really depends on the time of the year.  In the spring if I don't land something over 25 lbs the trip doesn't get me excited.  In the summer its a numbers game and if its not a dozen or so fish, I'm not too excited.  In the fall its a bit of a mix of quality and quantity, so im either looking for big numbers, or atleast 1 big fish.  I'm comfortable enough with my abilities now that for each time I'm fishing, if its a type of fishing im familiar with, I dont expect to skunk, so just not skunking isn't exactly a big win for me. If its a new technique or a completely new area and I catch some fish, thats a win.   However the longer I've been at this, I will agree the more content I am with just fishing, as my priorities change and my time for fishing has shrunk.

If you are asking about what tides are more successful, I'll just agree with posters above, that each spot produces differently on different tides.  For example: Super low tide?  Those fish had to slide off somewhere else, once you find out where that is, you can figure out where you should start fishing if conditions arent ideal at the first spot you had in mind.

Edited by bbfish

On 7/15/2021 at 6:57 AM, jeffapeikin said:

Lately, I have been in a streak where I can normally catch at least a bass each outing. Got me thinking what do others on here consider a successful outing . If you are really intent on fishing? This could lead into other topics possibly?

let’s go.

For me it is an Outgoing. .But when ever you can out to fish is a good time . You cant catch them on the couch or on the computer desk. Now for me there are a lot of variables besides the tides. Wind vs. tide. Moon Phase , to me full stinks. water temp.  For a successful outing I consider keeper size fish . When I catch under size bass i quickly release them .Now with the 38 inch size limit I measure then release . I keep one  for the table if I have none in the freezer. I have one package in the freezer now and wont target them until Oct. . My favorite size to keep are 30 to 36 inches .

Guys I mentioned tide but I meant outing . What do you consider to be a successful outing? When you make a plan and go out? I suppose a keeper bass and multiple species is always success but when you were just getting around to know what you were doing. I mean you have the lures you know your spots you know your tackle? 

On 7/15/2021 at 8:58 AM, BrianZ said:

for me it's very condition dependent.  some nights I am happy to get a couple fish because at least i was doing something right and the conditions were tough.  Some nights i go out expecting a few fish an hour for an average if the conditions are good. 

then some nights you just walk in to something and 50 fish later you're still looking for a few more!

What about the summer months? Do you have back bay sod spots if so what is considered success back there?

I'm not very good at striper fishing so I can't talk about successful outings for that. For fluke, if I catch 5-10 in the back and get a keeper or two I'm pretty happy. I have my own skiff now so I'm trying to increase the numbers and consistency but ultimately I'm just a weekend warrior and I don't fish the same waters constantly. I kind of accept that there's only so much I can accomplish without being out there all the time. That said, as a kid drifting baits in the Delaware Bay I certainly caught way more. It didn't really take much 20 years ago though. Dragging minnows and squid in the summer and you'd come home with croaker, fluke, weakfish, blues, whatever. The quality of the fishing really isn't the same. Guys who put in the time still seem to produce decently and consistently though but it is what it is. I ultimately still like going out on the water so I'll keep doing it.