Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The Riddler

Nikwax

8 posts in this topic

I have an old Goretex Dry Top leaking thru. No holes just fabric is having its way. 

I bought this product on Amazon. Will be trying it out in the next down pour. Anyone here have any feedback on it? 

6FC29342-FF64-48EE-9979-04C9B833142C.jpeg

Posted (edited) · Report post

Yes I've been using it to launder and restore the surface waterproofing on my shells for some years.

My experience is with three products: Gortex Pro, Polartec Neoshell, and a proprietary shell fabric from REI.

In all cases the product you have listed washed (1st step) and restored the exterior WR properties ( 2nd step) to the shells. The shells came out clean and water beaded up on them just like the day I purchases them.  This was done on the Neoshell seasonally until I wore the jacket out literally from abuse. So NikWAX works.

However, if your jacket is leaking through; this product will not restore and seam or other structural issues with your jackets.

The jackets really get the water resistant properties from the underlying layer, the top layer protects the business end.  I know right now I've got an REI I've been using in the surf, and although it has long lost the water beading properties this season( too much salt dried onto jacket) the jacket continues to be water resistant.  But it gets wet and heavy.

Hope this helps a bit 

Edited by chisler

1 hour ago, The Riddler said:

I have an old Goretex Dry Top leaking thru. No holes just fabric is having its way. 

Will be trying it out in the next down pour. Anyone here have any feedback on it? 

Ive used both spray on & wash in types, they do what they're supposed to do,  replenish the dwr of the top, Imo, it works ok for splashes & maybe a light drizzle but once you go beyond that,  all bets are off.....

In my experiences, breathable dry tops alone suck in down pours even after it was treated. When it rains like that,  i throw the breathable rain jacket over the top.

Thanks for all the replies. The downpour on my kokatat top all last week was the killer. It was old. I will give this a whirl but probably will have to buy another.

2 hours ago, chisler said:

Yes I've been using it to launder and restore the surface waterproofing on my shells for some years.

My experience is with three products: Gortex Pro, Polartec Neoshell, and a proprietary shell fabric from REI.

In all cases the product you have listed washed (1st step) and restored the exterior WR properties ( 2nd step) to the shells. The shells came out clean and water beaded up on them just like the day I purchases them.  This was done on the Neoshell seasonally until I wore the jacket out literally from abuse. So NikWAX works.

However, if your jacket is leaking through; this product will not restore and seam or other structural issues with your jackets.

The jackets really get the water resistant properties from the underlying layer, the top layer protects the business end.  I know right now I've got an REI I've been using in the surf, and although it has long lost the water beading properties this season( too much salt dried onto jacket) the jacket continues to be water resistant.  But it gets wet and heavy.

Hope this helps a bit 

What he said...

If you have leaks, call Kokatat.  They're known to stand behind their products and have replaced items for several people I know after YEARS of use.  Maybe they'd do the same for you.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Tried. No go. 15 years old or more. Thats long enough. Got my moneys worth.

Edited by The Riddler