Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jkrock

Shipping firearms

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Long story, but say I have some firearms (bolt action rifles) on the west coast and I need to get them to my home on the east coast.  What are my shipping options?  Can I mail/ship them to myself?  if not, what's the best way to get them from there to here?  I'm talking 4-6 rifles total.

Posted (edited) · Report post

It is legal to ship firearms to yourself.

HOWEVER

Under federal law - you can only use the postal service to ship long guns.  Handguns can only be shipped via USPS by an FFL.

That said, you'll get lots of grief from the USPS counter dudes who may not be up to speed on the law if you are trying to ship a rifle.

You can also use Fedex and UPS.  

Either one is fine - on the declaration of goods just put "machined parts" and make sure you insure accordingly.

Federal law does require the sender to inform the shipper that the package is a firearm.

But if you say "firearm" at Fedex or UPS you'll run into the same problems with uneducated counter people who will insist only an FFL can ship guns.  

Edited by fishweewee

Posted (edited) · Report post

22 mins ago, fishweewee said:

It is legal to ship firearms to yourself.

HOWEVER

Under federal law - you can only use the postal service to ship long guns.  Handguns can only be shipped via USPS by an FFL.

That said, you'll get lots of grief from the USPS counter dudes who may not be up to speed on the law if you are trying to ship a rifle.

You can also use Fedex and UPS.  

Either one is fine - on the declaration of goods just put "machined parts" and make sure you insure accordingly.

Federal law does require the sender to inform the shipper that the package is a firearm.

But if you say "firearm" at Fedex or UPS you'll run into the same problems with uneducated counter people who will insist only an FFL can ship guns.  

Thanks.  Great info.  I'll probably go the UPS route knowing this.  I was hoping I could ship to myself within the law.  No handguns.  A westley richards 30-06, a brno 7x57, a mannlicher shoenauer 6.5x54, and a custom 256 newton on a mauser action.  Possibly a kimber 22lr and a anschutz 22lr also. 

The firearms are fairly valuable monetarily, and even moreso in sentimental value. 

Edited by jkrock

UPS can and will ship them, go to the freight depot, not a store, and they will require it to be overnight ($$$).

Never had a problem at a UPS owned location (shipment center) but the UPS Stores (franchises) are a real problem with most refusing to handle a firearm.  Another option is to use a friendly gunshop or pawnshop you already have dealings with - I do that nowadays and have zero issues.  OH

Had problems with one post office even with their own rules in my hand.  Went to another and they shipped it. No problem. 

UPS needs to go to a distribution center 

FedEx said they will take at any location. 

This was me shipping to an FFL. 

Some people just freak out the minute you say “fire arm”.