flyangler

#DefundTheCampus Redux

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

The other #DefundTheCampus got locked for reasons so I am starting a new one to continue the discussion. 

 

So tell me how this woman's thesis is wrong? That college students do not know about the Holocaust because they have not been taught it in school. 

 

Santayana: 

"Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

"A child educated only at school is an uneducated child."

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It should have been taught in high school. But people pitch a fit when you mandate basic standards for grade school and high school curriculum.  They bitch like babies about loss of local direction of their schools.

 

College is largely specialized education where you may graduate without ever taking a history course.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 mins ago, Slacker said:

It should have been taught in high school. But people pitch a fit when you mandate basic standards for grade school and high school curriculum.  They bitch like babies about loss of local direction of their schools.

 

College is largely specialized education where you may graduate without ever taking a history course.

what vintage are you, born about when? 

 

i was born in 1960 and grew up watching WW2 movies, Combat!, Rat Patrol, etc. and every major and minor WW2 movie as well. I actually watched the Bridge at Remagen a couple weeks back. 

 

my Dad served just after Korea and was stationed in Germany in the 1957ish period. i have seen photos of him and his guys and the still destroyed cityscapes even a dozen years after VE Day. I had an older uncle who served in the Pacific and he told some stories. 

 

My point is, being 1 or 2 generations away from WW2, given the Hollywood focus, just by living you would pick up bits of the history, and then there was the school teachings. it was inescapable. 

 

I have to admit, a couple of those questions she asked in the video I could not answer, and I think I am pretty good with that period. knew most, but the name of the ship sent back was not known by me. 

 

she's right, you cannot know what you were not taught nor could absorb from the entertainment culture while growing up. 

 

my concern, on this issue, the ills of communism in the 20th century and what real racism and Jim Crow are all about, is lost on this younger generation, which makes Santayana's warning all the more relevant. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 mins ago, flyangler said:

what vintage are you, born about when? 

 

i was born in 1960 and grew up watching WW2 movies, Combat!, Rat Patrol, etc. and every major and minor WW2 movie as well. I actually watched the Bridge at Remagen a couple weeks back. 

 

my Dad served just after Korea and was stationed in Germany in the 1957ish period. i have seen photos of him and his guys and the still destroyed cityscapes even a dozen years after VE Day. I had an older uncle who served in the Pacific and he told some stories. 

 

My point is, being 1 or 2 generations away from WW2, given the Hollywood focus, just by living you would pick up bits of the history, and then there was the school teachings. it was inescapable. 

 

I have to admit, a couple of those questions she asked in the video I could not answer, and I think I am pretty good with that period. knew most, but the name of the ship sent back was not known by me. 

 

she's right, you cannot know what you were not taught nor could absorb from the entertainment culture while growing up. 

 

my concern, on this issue, the ills of communism in the 20th century and what real racism and Jim Crow are all about, is lost on this younger generation, which makes Santayana's warning all the more relevant. 

 

 

I thought this thread was about defundingthecampus?  Is it really more about why these kids didn't watch/retain Schindler's List or Band of Brothers?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

9 mins ago, The Dude said:

I don’t know how you get out of high school and into college without learning about the Holocaust, but here we are. 

Me neither.  I'm always skeptical of "man on the street" videos, though.  I think a lot of people that don't fit the desired narrative get edited out.

Edited by Slacker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Slacker said:

Me neither.  I'm always skeptical of "man on the street" videos, though.  I think a lot of people that don't fit the desired narrative get edited out.

Same. They’re generally worthless and can be edited to get any result you want. I would think that 99% of the US educated kids at UPenn know what the Holocaust is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 mins ago, The Dude said:

I don’t know how you get out of high school and into college without learning about the Holocaust, but here we are. 

if it isn't taught, it isn't taught. if there is no grandparent in the house from that era, there are no firsthand stories. if saving private ryan is the only WW2 movie ever seen, years ago, how are they to know more?

37 mins ago, Slacker said:

I thought this thread was about defundingthecampus? 

the point is, if the campus is not teaching about major world events of the past century, never mind civil war, revolutionary war, etc. what good it the campus? the argument for college is that it is supposed to produce "well rounded" graduates, but how well rounded can they be if they have no sense of history, especially those moments of merit or peril in our collective pasts? how are kids supposed to know that communism in practice is not like socialism-lite if they are not taught about Marx, Lenin, Stalin, Mao, Hitler, Pol Pot, Mugabe? 

37 mins ago, Slacker said:

Is it really more about why these kids didn't watch/retain Schindler's List or Band of Brothers?

no, do you expect any "kid" today to watch either of those "old person's stories"? heck, do you think many teens watched them when the former first appeared in theaters and the latter on cable? too many options, why watch something depressing or too long? 

35 mins ago, Slacker said:

Me neither.  I'm always skeptical of "man on the street" videos, though.  I think a lot of people that don't fit the desired narrative get edited out.

then why did she INCLUDE the couple people who knew more than the average adult would? if she were trying to stack the deck or control that narrative, why include that woman who was on it? 

30 mins ago, The Dude said:

Same. They’re generally worthless and can be edited to get any result you want. I would think that 99% of the US educated kids at UPenn know what the Holocaust is. 

she interviewed more than is typical. but you always complain about this which seems to be your thing about such. 

 

so why don't the two of you do an experiment and ask similar questions to the 18-25 year olds in your orbit. your kids, their friends, cashiers at stores, etc. find out for yourself who knows what. 

 

and dude, you are pretty bold with 99% of any cohort of people knowing what any topic might be. real bold. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I graduated from Temple U. in 1975 so that stuff is embarrassing.  But really, you should learn all of that in High School and not only the Holocaust but the Holodomor and the Killing Fields and even the Armenian Genocide.  Today's kids know nothing about anything except how to be woke.  I feel sorry for them and sorry that we, as a society, have raised such ignorant, self-absorbed children.

s

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apparently those that graduate from college know more about the Holocaust than those that don't.

 

pew.png.385f752726fa3395633806eda5dcd49f.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 mins ago, Slacker said:

Apparently those that graduate from college know more about the Holocaust than those that don't.

 

pew.png.385f752726fa3395633806eda5dcd49f.png

Stop with your facts. Although it doesn’t say what age the survey targeted (ie did the graduate in 1975 or 2015)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 mins ago, Slacker said:

Apparently those that graduate from college know more about the Holocaust than those that don't.

 

pew.png.385f752726fa3395633806eda5dcd49f.png

Kinda stands to reason, no?

I bet the Holocaust isn't the only subject that is true about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 mins ago, RIRockhound said:

Stop with your facts. Although it doesn’t say what age the survey targeted (ie did the graduate in 1975 or 2015)

True.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 mins ago, dena said:

Kinda stands to reason, no?

I bet the Holocaust isn't the only subject that is true about.

Yeah.  It doesn't do much for the case of #defundthecampus, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.