Tin Boat

5 wt fly rod for salt water

Rate this topic

105 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Years ago I had an Orvis 5 that could beach a 36" bass as fast as an 8, could tame a 9 lb. bonefish and could handle bonito and albies as well as an 8. It broke and I could never replace it. Seems like nothing but trout noodles have been available in 5 wt. Now I mostly use 6s and 7s, and I love them, but my shoulders are 88 years old and sometimes wouldn't mind a lighter meat stick. 

Edited by Tin Boat

Never used a 5wt but there are certainly lots of 6wts that will do the job.  Personally I would go with a fast action and overload it with a 7wt line.  Your issue is not the schoolie sized fish but flies, wind and the ability to go with different lines (float, intermediate, sinking).  Once you get to 7wt lines your choices start opening up.  Several years ago I was out with a guide and several of his customers (free trip for me).  He had them using 5wts and most of the people simply could not throw them to the fish.  I was using 6/7wt rods that I always have with me (4 of them). after watching for a while I finally went over and offer them a rod to replace the 5wt.  Suddenly they could reach the fish.  The guide did nothing for them.

For me I would not go less than a 7wt rod because it is less work but a 6wt will land fish if you do your part.

I get LMBs on my 8' 5 weight that are as big or bigger than schoolies and it's a blast. It's built on an old Clemens blank and can toss a size 1 gurgler around 50', which is enough in my pond. I laugh at the tiny snake guides I put on the thing (30 years ago) compared to what we use now. But when the bigger fish decide they're going under the dock it can't always stop them. After a few of those I'll switch to my 7 weight which is still a lot of fun. If I were to add yet another rod for salt it would be a 7, but I'm pretty content with my 8.

I've not cast one but I'd agree the TFO Axiom II-x seems worth a look.  People like 'em, designed for distance and wind, and they make a 5 with a butt.  

I’ve used 6wts for years in situations of mostly small fish, a 9.5’ CTS and a Wulff Bermuda Triangle floating line which is 210 grains, considerably overweight. I’ve caught keeper size fish with it without prolonged fights. I fish smaller flies and the best is fishing gurglers when there are a lot of fish in a light current just smashing away at the fly.

JC

13 hours ago, stormy monday said:

I get LMBs on my 8' 5 weight that are as big or bigger than schoolies and it's a blast. It's built on an old Clemens blank and can toss a size 1 gurgler around 50', which is enough in my pond. I laugh at the tiny snake guides I put on the thing (30 years ago) compared to what we use now. But when the bigger fish decide they're going under the dock it can't always stop them. After a few of those I'll switch to my 7 weight which is still a lot of fun. If I were to add yet another rod for salt it would be a 7, but I'm pretty content with my 8.

Is the blank one of his Apogee with the solid tip?

Echo makes an 8 ft 6wt “bad ass glass” rod designed for saltwater.

I wish gloomis still made the 7.5 ft short stix.

19 hours ago, ken r said:

Unless you're only catching schoolies, 5wt is too light IMO.

I agree. A 7 is the lightest I use. A 2-3 would be the ticket for snappers though. :D

56 mins ago, ChuckieP said:

Echo makes an 8 ft 6wt “bad ass glass” rod designed for saltwater.

I wish gloomis still made the 7.5 ft short stix.

I have the Echo ION XL 6wt. Wonderful rod! Really more like an 8 wt.

Edited by Tin Boat

Personally wouldn't go lighter than 6wt.  My preferred one is an Albright XXT (likes a 7wt line).  If I had to use a 5wt it would be one of the older TFO models made from IM-6 graphite.  The TFO Jim Teeny 5wt had a fighting butt. TFO TiCr 6wt had the option of a fighting butt but I believe this option was not available on the 5wt.  Agree with Tin Boat - I can see the Echo Ion or Ion XL in 6wt being pretty useful in salt.  The original Ion series was a very tough rod, and the updated versions (there were two versions of the Ion before the XL) of it are a bit lighter.  Older Ions (not the XL) go for peanuts and seem to be nearly unbreakable.  Guides on them are kind of cheap so need to wash in fresh H2O regularly. 

22 hours ago, Tin Boat said:

Any recommendations for a 5 wt fly rod for average size stripers and blues?

21 hours ago, Hook I said:

Going to wait for Steve aka The Fisherman to respond he be the man ! 

Here I am. I wish I had some current great recommendation for TB, but sadly I don't. I'm still using my old TFO TiCr 5 weight (I used it last week on Block) and pairing it with a Rio Outbound 9 weight floater. I don't know, TB, which line you're planning on using it with; my best suggestion is that you try to find that nirvana between stick and string. Probably the most expedient way is to find a good, fast action, substantial 5-weight stick, then mate it with a line that loads it quickly. I know on the one hand this all sounds vague, but I can't say which line and which rod will work best for you -- in fact, no one can.

Funny how some things never change. Here's an old thread with much of the same trepidation about using lighter tackle for stripers. As with many endeavors, it's the archer, not the arrow. (If you'd like a third party endorsement, check out response #8).

Steve Culton

18 hours ago, BrianBM said:

And it won't kill fish unnecessarily with fatigue, as a 5wt will.

Not true Brian if the Anger has a brain.  You can take the rod totally out of the equation if you level it at the fish. Then you have your reels drag  or skin of your palm to fight the fish.

With my very powerful TH I don’t high stick any fish of worth. The bigger they are the flatter the rod angle.

Just have a nice strong leader.

Mike

Edited by Mike Oliver

Main problem would be stressing fish, the wind & throwing larger flies (excluding TH rods).  I have used a 6wt TiCRX but generally use a 7wt for schoolies.

3 hours ago, theshadow said:

Is the blank one of his Apogee with the solid tip?

I think it was a Custom Builder blank, not a solid tip. Real nice trout & landlocked salmon rod. Sometime if the mackerel are running off the jetties here I'll take it out to relive my earliest fly fishing days, that first run they take is a hoot on a 5!

TB,

I don’t think it matters much what action a 5 wt has. As you are wanting a 5 wt I can only believe you are fishing sheltered places.

It is possible to significantly overline a rod and still cope with wind. As an example I cast a 6wt rod teamed to a single hand spey line whose 33 foot head is in fact a 9 wt.
But if you need to do that why bother with a 5 wt.

The line you chose you need to match with your rod. 

Sorry you asked a very direct question.

A Sage 5 wt Ignitor with a Rio Grand 5 wt line. For me that’s about as perfect a solution out there. It would be the dogs do dars.

Rod is expensive,  pain reduced if you build from a blank.

No probs putting hurt on a  big fish with a 0 wt. Just don’t use the rod.

Mike