Tin Boat

5 wt fly rod for salt water

Rate this topic

105 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Well, I’m sure most anything would work. Probably a smart idea to choose something with corrosion-resistant guides and reel seat. I prefer a “fast” to “medium fast” action, and a little extra length. 

The smallest I’ve  used in saltwater have been 6 wts. Both the Sage VXP and the Loop Opti Coast worked well for me when fishing for snapper blues and schoolies. With a Rio OBS they’ll cast small clousers (if that’s what you’re into) and anything else you’re likely to use for smaller fish. They’ll even throw some larger flatwings. 

Edited by JettyLings
Clarification

A8AF87FF-397E-4E2B-AB75-A10BC124AE46.jpeg.5525fb12f091fa9d72f73fde69801aab.jpeg

Find used. Their current lineup for SW starts at a 7 wt., tells you something.

Or try TFO Mangrove series, don’t know lower weights.

I've used a 5wt (an old T&T Horizon 865) with click reel for stripers up to @30", shad, scup, and searobbins.   Works OK but the larger bass were a PIA.  Fight time is more determined by tippet than rod number, and I use 10-12# tippet.   The main issue is line choice.  I used a 5wt MPX or 6wt cheap SA frequency intermediate (that sinks poorly).  Neither were ideal.  Throwing size 4 clousers with small eyes (or size 2 unweighted stuff) is possible but you need to keep them very sparse to get down (the fish prefer this anyways).  In the spring I did well with size 8 goldies.   If I want to fish light now I use a Sexyloops HT 6wt (yeah, jarring name but considered a great casting rod) with a Sage Spectrum LT 5/6 reel (sealed drag and very light) and a Mastery Standard 6wt line that works great (the long head and extra mass handle clousers better than shorter head lines IMO.....less hingeing).  It is 9 ft and faster action. I don't think I land the fish any faster although I'm more afraid of breaking the rod so I tend to be gentler. The reel with a drag is better as well.  I think it will also be fun for bonito but they have not shown yet.     

Edited by numbskull

I use a 6wt. 9.6 2 pc custom made with Pac Bay 39 million modulus graphite. Works on stripers to 25-27" in max, also my steelhead rod when float fishing. :rav:

IMG_2016.jpg

Edited by RAW
addition

I feel like you should just do the fish a favor and buy at least a 7. A five weight is light and why add additional stress to the fight of a 14” bass? They’re sorta the future of an already pretty dismal fishery, so why not just catch them on a properly weighted rod without feeling like you need to buy yourself a better fight? It’ll cast better and allow you to cover more water with the appropriately sized flies as well. 

I don't think I've ever seen a commercially sold 5 wt built with a fighting butt.  If you do get a 5 wt for the salt, I would try to find one that can be altered to add a fighting butt. Some reel seats have a bottom cap that can be pried  off.  If that operation can be performed, there are

ways of altering pre-made fighting butts to fit inside the blank.

Edited by MikeFlyGuy
Made a mistake

TFO Axiom 2X has a fighting butt - that would be a good rod for a saltwater 5wt; it's fast  and can carry a lot of line. I have the 7wt and really like it for 'prospecting'  on the flats.

17 mins ago, Rover 1 said:

Use an 8 weight. light enough to be fun on smaller fish but have enough backbone for something larger.

Rover 1

And it won't kill fish unnecessarily with fatigue, as a 5wt will.

1 hour ago, MikeFlyGuy said:

I don't think I've ever seen a commercially sold 5 wt built with a fighting butt.  If you do get a 5 wt for the salt, I would try to find one that can be altered to add a fighting butt. Some reel seats have a bottom cap that can be pried  off.  If that operation can be performed, there are

ways of altering pre-made fighting butts to fit inside the blank.

Just off the top of my head, the current Sage X 591-4 and 597-4 have fighting butts.

There are some others out there.

A used Xi3 589-4 might be a good choice if you can find one and like fast rods.

Though not for stripers, I used a Sage RPL 590-4 for a number of years in the salt.

Good luck in the hunt.

SF