NedRyerson

Cape Cod/Sharks

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Good article on Atlasobscura. 
no links allowed so google-

In Cape Cod’s ‘Sharky’ Waters, Humans Learn to Coexist with an Apex Predator

Posted (edited) · Report post

It all goes out the window with a few more people getting sampled by GWs.

But yes, interesting article.

Edited by Gotcow?

I came face to face with a 6ft blacktip shark while freediving in Grand Cayman years ago. The only thing I have that goes in the ocean now is a lure. lol

3 hours ago, Gotcow? said:

It all goes out the window with a few more people getting sampled by GWs.

But yes, interesting article.

Agreed - the sharks implicated in the recent (past several years) attacks seemed to have realized they chose the wrong prey and backed off -  and yet one of the injuries was still fatal

Eff the seals....not literally but I'm sure some of the douche nozzles in Tavern already have....

TROLLS.

....but seriously .....F@#$ The Seals and get them off the Cape ASAP and we as Massholes 

can back to our waters without that creepy feeling in the back of our heads to fish n' dive n' swim without

having to hear DUN DUN.

As long as there are seal rookeries, there's going to be great whites feeding in the vicinity, nothing you can do about that. If you use a wetsuit, consider getting one that's got brightly colored stripes on it like a sea snake, which has been shown to deter sharks. Either way, there wouldn't be much danger of a shark mistaking you for a gray seal. I wouldn't volunteer to test out that theory though.

1 hour ago, RockRonin said:

As long as there are seal rookeries, there's going to be great whites feeding in the vicinity, nothing you can do about that. If you use a wetsuit, consider getting one that's got brightly colored stripes on it like a sea snake, which has been shown to deter sharks. Either way, there wouldn't be much danger of a shark mistaking you for a gray seal. I wouldn't volunteer to test out that theory though.

Excellent Idear Rock. I'm going to get a full body tattoo now. What colors would you recommend? Also need to paint my jet ski, my skiff and my yaks. 

21 hours ago, CaryGreene said:

Excellent Idear Rock. I'm going to get a full body tattoo now. What colors would you recommend? Also need to paint my jet ski, my skiff and my yaks. 

92sea_kraitcrop.jpg

That'll be one sexy tattoo Cary.

On 7/14/2021 at 6:34 PM, flylikabird said:

Eff the seals....not literally but I'm sure some of the douche nozzles in Tavern already have....

TROLLS.

....but seriously .....F@#$ The Seals and get them off the Cape ASAP and we as Massholes 

can back to our waters without that creepy feeling in the back of our heads to fish n' dive n' swim without

having to hear DUN DUN.

Ain't that the truth!

On 7/14/2021 at 6:12 PM, Danpa said:

I came face to face with a 6ft blacktip shark while freediving in Grand Cayman years ago. The only thing I have that goes in the ocean now is a lure. lol

I went diving with them in the Bahamas, misunderstood creatures 

8CE9BAA7-F7EC-4EF1-BB8C-AD2699456688.jpeg

1 hour ago, harley48 said:

I went diving with them in the Bahamas, misunderstood creatures 

8CE9BAA7-F7EC-4EF1-BB8C-AD2699456688.jpeg

Indeed. I don't know of any recorded attacks by a blacktip. I still learned to swim backwards to shore that day. Respect them and give them plenty of room!  :)

Your chances of getting gobbled by a shark are still exponentially lower than getting smoked on the way to the beach by some tourist who doesn't understand how to drive through a rotary.