theshadow

Older fiberglass flyrod a "Bernlee"

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

A good friend had passed and in going through is gear for his widow to sell.I came across an older "Bernlee" #2108 8'10" 2 piece rod.It has an aluminum down locking reel seat.It seems to be in line of a possible salmon rod due to the thickness of the blank and cork grip is 14 rings in length mostly straight with a slight taper towards the blank.All the guides are chrome and the wraps are still perfect.Anyone familiar with this oldie but goodie?????

I just seen one of these from a seller on fleabay . Gotta be the same rod I only clicked on it because of the name . That rod was gaf / gbf ( 9 weight ) I took it to be for Bass bugging . Didn't really look into to close due I had like zero interest. For s**** and giggles I went back for a closer look and was sold and the pics had been removed . 

22 hours ago, JEFFSOD said:

Any chance it was a custom? That name is not familiar. Can you post photos of it?

I'm not good with the computer and uploads of photos since getting forced into windows 10.It's not a custom as looking at the reelseat and winding check.It seems to be from the 50s era style on all the old Wonderrod,Fenwick,etc. styles using aluminum.The blank is not the spiral wrap like the Wonderrods it is along the line of Conlon chestnut brown.The weave of the glass doesn't look "Fenwick" either.If the "queen" will help me I'll attempt a couple photos later.

Not necessary if it is too much trouble. I was just curious. Sounds like what they call on the fiberglass flyrodders tobacco glass if you are seeing a weave in the glass. These types often are more sentimental in value if owned by a relative.

I had 3-4 fiberglass rods, some from then well-known manufacturers come and go in those very first years I was learning to fly cast and fish, starting around 1957-8.  Not one of them was worth a piece of s***,......until I got my first Fenwick.  Anything with letter-coded line weight designation........run.

The fiberglass era in rods began immediately upon the end of WWII.  But, since all fly rods until that time had been bamboo.......and the mechanics of fly casting were not well understood and based upon bamboo rods and mostly small streams, the assumption was that the new fiberglass rods should emulate a bamboo action.  Consequently they were/are heavy and S......L.....O......W.......  I experienced puberty waiting for my backcast to unload and straighten.  By applying too much acceleration force you could easily "shock" the rod and get a hellacious tailing loop as the rod tip rebounded upward.  That "bamboo" based thinking kept the Orvis synthetics, fiberglass and early graphite, rods WAY behind, action-wise, for decades.

The best thing that happened to me was when the wind pushed the car door closed as my very first rod  (fiberglass) slipped over the door opening.  I was freed of my forced captivity in tip heavy, loopey, slow-rod-hell.

However, I will say that my early experience trying to learn on those rods did teach me a flexibility and adaptability to ANY rod action that has been useful for the rest of my fishing career.

I wrote a long treatise touching upon these issues back a decade ago......how we got from "then" to "now".

http://www.flyfishingfotography.com/fly_reel_metallurgy_001.htm

12 hours ago, Peter Patricelli said:

I had 3-4 fiberglass rods, some from then well-known manufacturers come and go in those very first years I was learning to fly cast and fish, starting around 1957-8.  Not one of them was worth a piece of s***,......until I got my first Fenwick.  Anything with letter-coded line weight designation........run.

The fiberglass era in rods began immediately upon the end of WWII.  But, since all fly rods until that time had been bamboo.......and the mechanics of fly casting were not well understood and based upon bamboo rods and mostly small streams, the assumption was that the new fiberglass rods should emulate a bamboo action.  Consequently they were/are heavy and S......L.....O......W.......  I experienced puberty waiting for my backcast to unload and straighten.  By applying too much acceleration force you could easily "shock" the rod and get a hellacious tailing loop as the rod tip rebounded upward.  That "bamboo" based thinking kept the Orvis synthetics, fiberglass and early graphite, rods WAY behind, action-wise, for decades.

The best thing that happened to me was when the wind pushed the car door closed as my very first rod  (fiberglass) slipped over the door opening.  I was freed of my forced captivity in tip heavy, loopey, slow-rod-hell.

However, I will say that my early experience trying to learn on those rods did teach me a flexibility and adaptability to ANY rod action that has been useful for the rest of my fishing career.

I wrote a long treatise touching upon these issues back a decade ago......how we got from "then" to "now".

I use the old Wonder rod to teach people to cast when they are trying to "throw" the cast.They can't with these old rods just as you say they "collapse".Once they learn to let the rod do the work I give them back the other rod and their cast improves greatly.When they start to fail again I go back to the Wonder rod and reinforce the "push" not "throw".

I've attached some pics of the rod. From my investigation, it was custom built by someone from Worcester, MA.  I did have

this rod on fleabay for a while before handing it over to TheShadow.

20210209_101711.jpg

20210209_101734.jpg

20210209_101754.jpg

20210209_101811.jpg

20210209_115751.jpg

20210209_115940.jpg

Posted (edited) · Report post

12 hours ago, MikeFlyGuy said:

I've attached some pics of the rod. From my investigation, it was custom built by someone from Worcester, MA.  I did have

this rod on fleabay for a while before handing it over to TheShadow.

20210209_101711.jpg

20210209_101734.jpg

20210209_101754.jpg

20210209_101811.jpg

20210209_115751.jpg

20210209_115940.jpg

Thanks Mike.Had a couple drop by yesterday.

Edited by theshadow

Very early glass rods had brass ferrules. Then they improved to spigot. I don’t recall old glass rods with overfits.

Yes like Peter that’s what I began with. So glad that they are in the past. Can not understand the mini renaissance glass currently has. Apart from big fish applications it is a very inferior material compared to modern carbon.

They are kinda interesting though. Are you close now to a full ID.

Makes you wonder if the builder had a surf rod background with the underwrapped guides.

How rods have moved on in a relatively short time. The new kids on the block are so lucky.

Mike

42 mins ago, Mike Oliver said:

Very early glass rods had brass ferrules. Then they improved to spigot. I don’t recall old glass rods with overfits.

Yes like Peter that’s what I began with. So glad that they are in the past. Can not understand the mini renaissance glass currently has. Apart from big fish applications it is a very inferior material compared to modern carbon.

They are kinda interesting though. Are you close now to a full ID.

Makes you wonder if the builder had a surf rod background with the underwrapped guides.

How rods have moved on in a relatively short time. The new kids on the block are so lucky.

Mike

True.It's nice to put one these oldies in their hands and see how they handle the "action".Especially a weight forward taper line.:eek::laugh:

On 2021/07/16 at 2:20 AM, Peter Patricelli said:

Interesting read Peter. I would never have found it but for your making reference to it yesterday. Thank you.

On 7/15/2021 at 3:43 AM, KidDkivahh said:

I just seen one of these from a seller on fleabay . Gotta be the same rod I only clicked on it because of the name . That rod was gaf / gbf ( 9 weight ) I took it to be for Bass bugging . Didn't really look into to close due I had like zero interest. For s**** and giggles I went back for a closer look and was sold and the pics had been removed . 

That was posted by Mikeflyguy who is with me helping to move all of our friends stash.All monies are going to be donated to a local high school scholarship directed by his widow.

There is another interesting fiberglass rod in the collection. A Fenwick 9'3" 10 wt. The fighting butt is attached to a half length fiberglass insert that could easily slide in or out. From what I read, you cast the rod without the insert. And if you hooked a nice fish and needed more backbone to fight it, you would slide in the insert. Not sure how that all works under the pressure and duress of fighting a big fish, but the rod was definitely stiffer with the section in than out. I guess there was a time when it must have been hard to make a stiff enough fly rod for big game with fiberglass and not have it weigh a ton.

20210209_130549.jpg

Edited by MikeFlyGuy
grammer and correction