Mr T

Passport 12 and Garmin GT56UHD transducer install

10 posts in this topic

Anyone tried to install this combo?  the GT56 is longer than what Hobie built and I really don't want to cut- wonder if I have to do an arm type setup to get this done?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

you can get a Ram arm, I used one on my Revo before i got my new yak. Think it was a 1 inch ram mount ball and the arm was under $30.00

 

I used it for 2 seasons, never had any major issue, just make sure it clears the water line below yak if you have side scan.  Because the arm is moving through water, it will collect seaweed and sea grass that is floating. It does suck you cannot use the supplied area to mount ducer, the arm works but its just another thing you gotta worry about not grounding on a rock or when you land yak at a launch having it scrap against the ground

 

Last thing, make sure the ducer is situated correctly or it will not read accurately. I had like a bump stop so I knew where to place arm and have the ducer be perpendicular and read correctly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think berleypro makes an aftermarket plate that sticks out for the larger transducers. I tried using an arm... The amount of drag it creates is annoying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

+1 on the drag created by the arm with transducer over the side. Easily lose .5 mph. Also picks up all the crap in the water. No bueno :(

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yeah Im worried about the drag too  and the GT56 sags on the scotty arm setup I got to try this with, it is big as heck. 

 

The cover plate idea is the next option- I just dont like having it being exposed even if the cover is there. at $450 I dont want to risk it!

 

  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 mins ago, Mr T said:

yeah Im worried about the drag too  and the GT56 sags on the scotty arm setup I got to try this with, it is big as heck. 

 

The cover plate idea is the next option- I just dont like having it being exposed even if the cover is there. at $450 I dont want to risk it!

 

  

Ducer shouldnt "sag", mine is the generation before yours, it is large but it never sagged. Its almost same size, my buddy got same ducer for his 93SV he picked up and I helped him rig it to his outback. 

 

As far as speed reduction, I never once noticed I was going slower because of the arm being deployed. I am sure you lose some speed, just no positive how much.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

5 hours ago, ijuanaspearfish said:

Ducer shouldnt "sag", mine is the generation before yours, it is large but it never sagged. Its almost same size, my buddy got same ducer for his 93SV he picked up and I helped him rig it to his outback. 

 

As far as speed reduction, I never once noticed I was going slower because of the arm being deployed. I am sure you lose some speed, just no positive how much.

 

 

What arm are you using?  I got the Scotty version and its floppy- I don't think they expected that kind of weight on it. If i hold it level, and release it, it swings down a good 3 inches, and wobbles around- the reading is going to be junk with that much movement. looking at the rail blaz uh mount right now. 

Edited by Mr T

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mr T said:

What arm are you using?  I got the Scotty version and its floppy- I don't think they expected that kind of weight on it. If i hold it level, and release it, it swings down a good 3 inches, and wobbles around- the reading is going to be junk with that much movement. looking at the rail blaz uh mount right now. 

Ram makes an arm, aluminum so you can bend it to the exact length you need. Its really light.

 

https://www.hodgesmarine.com/ramram-b-316-18-tra3-nb-ram-mount-transducer-arm-mount-w18-rigid-alumi.html?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shopping - All Products&utm_term=1100200315462&utm_content=Shopping - All Products

 

This is it but i didnt pay that much, shop around

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, ijuanaspearfish said:

 

The ram alum arm is rock solid and depending on how you mount it to the kayak you can swing it up out of the water when traveling A to B. Any arm style mount will create significant drag in water. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.