wasabi_VA

Looking for a small first aid kit for kayak

19 posts in this topic

Got my palm gashed open by a catfish this evening, luckily had a few bandaids and gauze pad in a poor excuse for a first aid kit. It got me back to the ramp without too much river getting into my wound. But the tiny little kit I had isn't waterproof and the ziplock sammich bag it was in would surely fail after a couple weeks of being jostled around in my tackle bag. So I'm curious if anybody has a nice waterproof kit they keep readily accessible?

Now I actually do have a different moderately extensive first aid kit on board, but I keep it in a dry bag stored below the front hatch. I need both hands to steady myself when I stoop over my pedal drive and attempt to retrieve something from that hatch, but this evening my hand was hurting and bleeding so I used my teeny first aid kit from my tackle bag. Yeah, in a true emergency I could beach the 'yak and get into the hatch but wondering if I just might be better served with a small waterproof kit kept above deck. Have a good kit you keep handy?

I keep super glue in my yak. Its quick, holds well and I don't need to worry about a bandage or tape getting wet and falling off.

If needed, I just wash the cut out as best I can and then add glue.

Most of the ready made kits I've seen online are filled with stuff that I'll likely never use, so I tend to assemble my own kit and keep it in a zip lock bag in my PFD. Just go online and look at what's included in the pre-made kits if you're looking for ideas on what to include.

zip lock bag inside a zip lock bag with what ever you want. band aids. tape and so on..go to walmart and scan the bad aid isle.or even hit the dollar store

I bought a smallish waterproof box and filled it with the stuff I know I’ll use. I keep it in my crate, but I also carry it with me other places it might come in handy. 

2379606F-2B20-4917-9872-A9E68449D05E.jpeg

A96EA354-EDB7-4EB1-9C53-D3EC70008041.jpeg

F26E72EC-E987-4D78-AB17-CF0DCD998FAA.jpeg

Thumb sized vial of hydrogen peroxide, single use super glue, 1 x sanitary pad and a sample sized roll of ductape in the life jacket …. then a small dry box with plasters, antiseptic cream, headache tablets, hook removal kit, gauze, alcohol wipes somewhere in the crate … oh, and a ziplock with crumbling Tums

I'm in the south (Florida gulf coast) and fish around oyster bars where Vibrio can be a concern, so any cuts on the water get some immediate attention  - I carry Hibiclens, Sterile Saline wash, Nexcare waterproof tape and Nexcare waterproof band-aids.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

As others have said, put together your own.  I have disinfectant, gauze, tape, and a small set of bolt cutters that can cut hooks.  I put it in a ziplock bag which is in a food saver vacuum sealed bag.  I would be real careful about gluing cuts shut on the water.  Unless you have done a _really_ good job cleaning out the cut, you risk a perfect breeding ground for infection.  If its bad enough for sutures or glue, you should call it a day, get to shore and clean it out properly.

The other item I take is a tourniquet!  I know, sounds like overkill.  Where we fish sharks are prevalent.   The chance of getting bit are extremely slim, but given it takes up such little space, I keep it available.

Edited by Jeff270

Most of the above in a drybox also I have gauze and ace bandage sealed in a vac bag.

Aspirins as I'm not getting any younger but still go hard.

I also keep a LifeStraw on board

On 7/17/2021 at 10:10 AM, Jeff270 said:

… a small set of bolt cutters that can cut hooks.  I put it in a ziplock bag which is in a food saver vacuum sealed bag.

Oh bloody hell … what an elegant (and obvious) solution … I’ve had 2-3 pairs rust out on me over the years stored in ziplocks … even with a few drops of oil. Will get onto this week :th:

15 hours ago, Africaster said:

Oh bloody hell … what an elegant (and obvious) solution … I’ve had 2-3 pairs rust out on me over the years stored in ziplocks … even with a few drops of oil. Will get onto this week :th:

How big are these small bolt cutters?

4 hours ago, atv223 said:

How big are these small bolt cutters?

8” … HarborF … $8 … probably why they rusted so quickly the first few go rounds. Vacuum Packaging will solve the rust issue 

On 7/17/2021 at 10:10 AM, Jeff270 said:

… and a small set of bolt cutters that can cut hooks.  I put it in a ziplock bag which is in a food saver vacuum sealed bag. 

Great call, thx Jeff :th: … added to permanent in hatch container.

(Paper towel wrap was for any sharp edges which might have punctured bag)

695FA199-D380-4065-9C1D-0E205C08F173.jpeg.5780418800ecb98ae32b97c3bb216869.jpeg

Posted (edited) · Report post

Every time HF is mentioned, have to chime in :)

They used to sell LOOOONG nose/handles stainless steel pliers. Bought 2, years ago, both r still w me. Super nice for hook removal, also got cutting edge. Drilled a hole into the handle (that SS is tough and salt aint got nuttin on it !), to attach a lanyard.

Over many years, I bought at HF: 2 lathes (mini and 9x23), two mills (mini and RF clone), metal bandsaw, untold # of air and hand tools, compressors, jacks, welders. Just insane amt of stuff. Sold off most of these after 15+ years of use AT A GAIN.

Any grown man HAS to visit HF next to them

On subject of hook cutting,make sure to test whatever u end up getting. Many cutters will chip when used on hardened hooks. Some lineman pliers have cutting channel that SHEARS things, that's the way to go.

Edited by r111