striperstalker2

POGIES ANYONE?

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

I think I may hav seen a small school in a southern Maine beach driving my boat on a leisure cruise with the wife....I also think I saw a pogy boat about three weeks ago  doing a vacuum job..any one else hear Or see any this year? I am only catching 25 inch fish and I'm thinking the big fish are on the tails of some pogo schools, or what's left of the big fish....

They can be found, I have only seen them in casco bay and have yet to have them come within range from the shore. reports I have heard are that they are not as abundant as last year and my own experiences so far have backed that up.

bait boats doing a good job chasing them in and around my area, but still good numbers to be found.  Interesting to see them re organize at night, with bigger schools more prevalent.

J

Just south of casco bay they were plentiful about a week ago, but I haven’t seen them in the last few days. Tons of sand eels though. I saw two pogie boats come through and I assume they pretty much wiped my area out.

I'm a shore guy and haven't seen any. I also haven't been doing early morning trips, as opposed to last year, when I saw bunches of them. Alas, even last year they were out of range... except one!

Posted (edited)

Saw a few pop up in the Saco river, water is so warm I'm not sure I would even bother live lining anywhere nearby. 

Have seen so few in my spots that I don't even carry snag hooks anymore.

Edited by EarningStripes207

I remember 2 summers ago the schools were enormous in my area.  Those giant schools seem to almost turn the water a purple tint in the right light.  Sucks because I'll usually live line a couple and then take them home and freeze them for chunks.  I hate buying bait.