Capt.Castafly

RI Fish Report Blog. July 13 - July 20

Rate this topic

57 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, bdowning said:

Yeah, forgot about them. May be time to repost the tunoid/mack id chart or make it a sticky. Too many of these to keep track of.:cool:

Here you go! 

2EAE56D0-F0CF-4EAA-ADE4-AB973FEDD49F.jpeg

6 hours ago, DEM Parking Lot said:

You guys referring to this thingy?

What ever it is, taste horrible.

(Pic was last year)

20200808_094308.jpg

According to the Id chart above, that looks like a frigate- the scaled area is only a couple scales, not 10-15.  Or am I missing something?

I was under the impression these were all bullet tuna.

20 mins ago, Fitzy said:

According to the Id chart above, that looks like a frigate- the scaled area is only a couple scales, not 10-15.  Or am I missing something?

Can't really see in the pics but a lot of these guys has the little black spots on the side like albies.

We had them cruising up and down the beach last year when we had a beach house. Maybe hooked one or 2 after a 100+ casts into them breaking.  This year I will have the wood egg set up with a teaser instead of chucking tins.

1 hour ago, MakoMike said:

Here you go! 

2EAE56D0-F0CF-4EAA-ADE4-AB973FEDD49F.jpeg

Thanks. Even with a chart, I still have trouble seeing the diff between frigate and bullet. Chubs are pretty distinctive. 

1 hour ago, Fitzy said:

I'm under the impression that's a bullet tuna - the striped area starts pretty far back (relatively speaking). It's hard to confirm with certainty since the pectoral fin is not laying down flat (if it was, and it didn't extend past that striped area, that would lean towards being a bullet tuna)

Posted (edited) · Report post

It's really hard to determine what kind of mack it is.

There's chub, Atlantic, Spanish all these names have been thrown around so far this summer.

There's a lot of variance on each side of these mack and the marks are not notable or may vary. 

I try to look for more physical boundaries like fin size location, eyes, and mouths.

But I still can't absolute tell. I'm confused too.

The chub might be the easiest to ID.

Edited by Capt.Castafly

8 mins ago, Capt.Castafly said:

It's really hard to determine what kind of mack it is.

There's chub, Atlantic, Spanish all these names have been thrown around so far this summer.

There's a lot of variance on each side of these mack and the marks are not notable or may vary. 

I try to look for more physical boundaries like fin size location, eyes, and mouths.

But I still can't absolute tell. I'm confused too.

The chub might be the easiest to ID.

Spanish is very easy to ID...

17 mins ago, noahialongo said:

I got a bunch of what were I think bullets today, very well could have been chubs though. Literally thousands upon thousands. tiny bait

IMG_5245.JPG

If they kind of looked like miniature albies, they were bullet tuna...if they kind of looked like Atlantic mackerel, but with slightly different colors (but same body shape), they were likely chubs

1 min ago, DEM Parking Lot said:

Here's somewhat a better pic to add fuel to the debate20200808_143618.jpg.b17f457b367910d74be1e3a7dca02a36.jpg

Chub mack (which is delicious smoked)

20200721_175455.jpg.56e5b231d6432bf9fae41aba7b6a53ac.jpg

In the first photo, if you notice how the pectoral fin doesn't extend back to the stripes/markings - those are bullet tuna. With frigate mackerel, the area with the markings extends further/closer towards the head, which allows the pectoral fin to extend past where the markings being...The second pic is clearly a chub mackerel