Capt.Castafly

RI Fish Report Blog. July 13 - July 20

Rate this topic

57 posts in this topic

The fish blog was created as a communal gathering place to share, report weekly fishing activity.

This will benefit those who greatly use this RI forum and ply our local waters.

The premise is to gather all weekly reports into one common portal unit, thus making it easy to access, view and add your own reports.  

This is the fourth year for this type of approach. The years past have had great participation. 

Post your success or skunks.   Either way, black or white, zero to hero,  let us all know if the bite is good or just not worth getting off the couch. 

Fresh, factual information is one of the best sources of Intel we have today with the ever changing fishing conditions. 

Fished out front off Newport around the reefs.

Very slow today with an east wind and low tide this morning.

Water was clean, but not much signs of life.

Manage 6 school bass, nothing large, scup, tautag, flounder, two small bluefish on flies.  

Fished up in bay via boat w kids. Hit a big school of blues busting bait and even a few schoolies. Moved to bottom fishing when that died, was slower then expected. Few Scup, small sea bass, sea robins and dog fish. Blues were a mix of cocktail w a few big guys mixed in.

Not a report moreso a recap and whining...

But this year it's been 99.9% dogfish, 0.1% weakfish for me.

I caught a searobin the other day and was happy. Never thought I'd be typing/saying those words.

The water near me (both ocean and river) is still a mess from the storm, but the situation seems to be slowly improving. I got a couple of small BSB yesterday on a rocky ledge from a boat and a few short fluke in the river on the incoming. The only stripers I've been able to manage lately have been dinks.

Found some decent sized bass feeding up top on sandeels.     Where are the bones?? I usually get my first around July 4th every year, give or take a few days…

6400855E-9292-40C0-A60E-A626D6E04BD7.png

Do albies come in this early? I’m watching a school bust on peanuts right now. They have gotten about 10ft close to me to see that they are some kind of tuna type of fish.

Fished on Sunday off Sakonnett and Newport area for sea bass.   Did surprisingly poor.  Brought two newbies so I was hoping for better results.  Caught a 16-17" BSB on first drift and I tossed him back.  Told the guys I only like to keep the bigger fish and I figured we'd catch a bunch more, but it can be bad luck for me to put back my first keeper.   Gods don't like me when I get cocky.   While he wasn't the highlight, we only caught two bigger BSB the rest of the day.   One of which we also threw back.   Big one was legit.     

Talking to some guys at ramp, seemed to be common theme.   Storm was taking the blame.  Don't fish that area often but happy to use that excuse.    Saved the trip by catching some small stripers along the rocks.   Guys had a lot of fun with that.   Wanted to know if they could keep the first striper we caught.  It was 20", I told them they had to put it back.  

Any predictions of when bonito start to show along south shore?   

21 mins ago, mofish said:

Do albies come in this early? I’m watching a school bust on peanuts right now. They have gotten about 10ft close to me to see that they are some kind of tuna type of fish.

Bonito maybe, albies probably not.

2 hours ago, bdowning said:

Bonito maybe, albies probably not.

There were alot of those whacky macks around last summer. Maybe one of those.

3 hours ago, mofish said:

Chub macs by the thousands were all around today making loud commotions on the surface.

That's what your seeing. Lots of small stripers too on the surface filter feeding small food too.

Much different than the macks, they move much slower, aligned, with their months open.

Yeah, the bullet tuna (look just like juvenile false albacore) were around pretty thick last year as well. These are the ones that a lot of people were referring to as frigate mackerel (and I think were the fish responsible for all the early reports of 'baby albies')

Posted (edited) · Report post

14 hours ago, mikez2 said:

There were alot of those whacky macks around last summer. Maybe one of those.

Yeah, forgot about them. May be time to repost the tunoid/mack id chart or make it a sticky. Too many of these to keep track of.:cool:

Edited by bdowning