Ed Z

Question on Penn Slammer III reel handle screw

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

So here is an odd one. I got my Slammer III 5500 back from my service guy a few weeks ago. Didn't use it as my truck had 6 other rods in it. Went to use it the other day, and noticed the reel handle screw was out. Tried screwing it in, but, it wont catch on the threads. It fits in the handle by itself no issue. It fits in the reel by itself no issue. But when you put the handle in the reel slot, the screw goes in, but wont catch the threads. I can turn and turn and it doesn't go in. Tried a Q-tip in case there was sand, no difference. Had someone else try in case it was me, same issue. I'm 145 miles away from my service guy so I cant bring it in. 

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Ed

IMG_8390.jpeg

IMG_8391.jpeg

IMG_8392.jpeg

Posted (edited) · Report post

Is the screw catching the threads in the third picture??  And check if it will screw into the handle from the opposite side.. If it don't then the screw's thread is bad at the end... Put the shank part of the screw in a drill and using a fine file or a piece of emery cloth just bevel the edge by spinning the screw while holding the file or emery cloth against the edge of the screw.

Edited by sytheteacher

hahahaaa here we say MC POLLO!-chicken, now it seems that his bones have corrosion". Let him do like Khabib!.

Scoobydoo, I have a Slammer 7500 2nd hand for the kayak(something heavy), should I add new grease or check the pick up roller? (the one on a BG was clogged with salt).

Have you taken the post off the reel, then try seeing if you can reassemble the two pieces. It’s likely not quite aligning correctly with the post still screwed into reel body. 

8 hours ago, canary said:

hahahaaa here we say MC POLLO!-chicken, now it seems that his bones have corrosion". Let him do like Khabib!.

Scoobydoo, I have a Slammer 7500 2nd hand for the kayak(something heavy), should I add new grease or check the pick up roller? (the one on a BG was clogged with salt).

Always good to make sure everything's lubed properly... And line rollers need tlc.. 

Just don't expect it from Dustin's wife in yer dm's.. Lol

Here's the schematic:

https://www.reelschematic.com/wp-content/uploads/schematics/Penn/Spinning/Slammer Series/Penn Slammer III 5500 REV 00.pdf

The handle screws directly into the main gear, but it has to go through a seal, seal lock and a bearing.  They might not be sitting flush or the side plate may not be buttoned down all the way.

20 hours ago, Ed Z said:

The screw is catching the threads in the third picture. It’s very odd. I will ask in the Penn forum thank you 

If it is catching the thread in the third picture then try putting the handle back on 180 degrees in the opposite direction..

Thank you everyone, this forum is the best. I'm away from the reel for a few days but have made a list of all the suggestions. And Jim/Penn also reached out, great customer service.

Best regards,

Ed

11 hours ago, Fishjerk said:

Curious how this turned out. 

Jim from Penn is awesome, Penn is sending me a replacement handle. Once I try that, I can report back. 

On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2021 at 10:49 AM, Ed Z said:

Jim from Penn is awesome, Penn is sending me a replacement handle. Once I try that, I can report back. 

Looking forward to the results.  Glad Tim worked this out to give them a forum to respond to issues.