buz23

MV Report

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Outstanding report.  I'm headed to the island for a week starting Saturday, first time ever going for a week.  While I likely won't be fishing at night, I certainly will be during early mornings.  We are staying in Edgartown.  I look forward to exploring the island and finding some fishing spots.

Great report. 

I've heard from other people there were alot of wrens this year (mainland Ma).

I haven't noticed any lack of cat birds though. 

Earlier in the season, when they were nesting, you could count on getting mewed at whenever you came near a thick bush. Now they are one of the few birds still singing. I just listened to one last night that went on for an hour. Sounded like about six different birds during that time.

18 hours ago, mikez2 said:

Great report. 

Earlier in the season, when they were nesting, you could count on getting mewed at whenever you came near a thick bush. Now they are one of the few birds still singing. I just listened to one last night that went on for an hour. Sounded like about six different birds during that time.

Sounds to me like you were hearing a mockingbird.  Catbirds sing random phrases, whereas a mockingbird will mimic other bird songs for many phrases at a time.  And the mockingbirds do sing at night, whereas I've never heard a catbird after dark.  Both birds closely related, and there is a third (brown thrasher) which sings each phrase twice.  I've only seen a thrasher once, in Florida.

4 hours ago, buz23 said:

Sounds to me like you were hearing a mockingbird.  Catbirds sing random phrases, whereas a mockingbird will mimic other bird songs for many phrases at a time.  And the mockingbirds do sing at night, whereas I've never heard a catbird after dark.  Both birds closely related, and there is a third (brown thrasher) which sings each phrase twice.  I've only seen a thrasher once, in Florida.

Oh it was a cat bird alright. I was looking right at it. A mockingbird is unmistakable when it sings, mimicking other birds perfectly. This was different. 

They were random phrases. But repeated for a few minutes, then completely changed so it sounded like a completely different bird. Then changed again. 

It wasn't mimicking any particular calls, just riffin'. 

I'm pretty sure it's the same bird that nested in a tangle of grape vines along the parking lot. I've seen him all season. I think his last brood is all fledged and he's advertising for a chance at another. 

On 7/12/2021 at 6:37 AM, buz23 said:

Just back from my annual two weeks on the Vineyard.  I stay in Menemsha and fish the usual up island spots, although this year high surf and dirty water kept me from the south facing beaches.  I fished mostly from Menemsha to Dogfish bar.  The weather was a little strange this year.  While those on the mainland were roasting, we were around the mid-70's most days, but it was extremely humid.  About half the time there was a "marine layer" which stayed around most of the day (although usually blew away at night).  This was frustrating for my wife, who goes to the beach in the afternoon (I go at night).

I caught lots of little bass, a few in the 24-26" class, and got my biggest in 5 years at 35".  Also a 32 and 28" fish, all released.  The bigger fish all caught at night, on bombers. I lost several good fish when they got down into the weeds and slime on the bottom.  I caught 4 little bluefish early in the trip, and one big hickory shad.

Nice report buz23!

I'm surprised I didn't run into you up island. I was on vacation on the Vineyard the week of the 4th. I fished up island, before daylight on Mon the 4th and Tue the 5th.  I had a decent outing, pre sunrise, on the 4th. I posted about it in SOL > Massachusetts last week.

I tried Chappy a couple times as well. Both times I was a day late, just missing a good bluefish bite, according to the people I ran into out there. I fished chappy for 3 hours the day after Elsa. Unfortunately the storm must have scattered bait & blues 'cuz there wasn't much going on that day.

On 7/12/2021 at 10:45 AM, mikez2 said:

Great report. 

this guy has been my site last couple weeks pick at the soil im excavating....thinking he is the insect eater and the robin that partners with him is getting the worms, almost seem to be working in pair.

poor pic but it has a distinctive tail...a bit narrow and on a 45 degree angle .

Im thinking this is a catbird......an i correct ? 

catbird .jpg

catbrd1.jpg

Sure is a catbird, but it might be an immature based on washed out colors.

Fledglings have a very short tail, which this one doesn't have. 

Another distinction of a catbird is a handsome mahogany color under the tail.

I noticed that one of the catbirds in the yard where I stay was constantly picking up some sort of insect (?) in the grass.  Haven't seen this behavior before.

Great report buz23 and glad to hear you got into some fish during your visit. We had a nice Spring run on the island with loads of squid & thick packs of schoolie stripers. Things have cooled down a bit for me over the last 2-3 weeks at dawn (when I do most of my fishing), so time to do a couple night shifts to pass the time until the funny fish show up!