madcaster

I want to make some spooks

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

I want to build some spook and see that have to be tail weighted ....So I guess it's a fine line from a spook from a pencils on the way it sits in the water ...my pencils sit straight up ....but spooks are laying level on the surface with the butt hanging some ? yes ?

Posted (edited) · Report post

Like most other plugs the action defines it not just the shape. Traditional spooks will lay flat and have a much calmer walk the dog action as opposed to a pencil. If you're going to tail weight it you'll have to find a way to offset that so it sits level. Also the line tie below center helps the action.

Edited by swirlchaser

Mad I think they weight it all different ways, basically depends on how you like to fish them and what u need them to do. Level float to vertical float to level sink to tail down sink. 

I suggest try making a cigar shape with really blunt tapers at the ends. 5.5" and 7/8" diameter. 

The more u taper the tail the less room to explore different weight schemes. 

23 hours ago, TopStriperAngler said:

Mad I think they weight it all different ways, basically depends on how you like to fish them and what u need them to do. Level float to vertical float to level sink to tail down sink. 

I suggest try making a cigar shape with really blunt tapers at the ends. 5.5" and 7/8" diameter. 

The more u taper the tail the less room to explore different weight schemes. 

he's what I got so far ...I made it out of redwood ....not very sexy ...but it sits right ....I have to take it out to the bay to test it 

unnamed.jpg

Posted (edited) · Report post

Where you weight them is defined by how your using them, at last in salt water where your often casting as far as you can. No weight or just weight in the middle are not as stable in flight as tail weighting. They will tumble more often, both shortening the cast and wrapping the line around he hooks. But this will give the bestaction from the lure.

Just tail weighing give you a lure that casts far and straight, but a lure where you supply most of the walking the dog action. This is my preference. I can make any floating and some sinking pencils and needlefish walk the dog after 40 years of top water.

But, if your trying to make an all purpose spook that does most of the work and still casts reasonably, try a tail weight and a belly weight. I’ve made some this way and use them in backwaters  where I am trying to be subtle.

However, I have not been able to match a rebel jumpin minnow in action or catching when I’m trying to be subtle. make one of each and you’ll have a nice little arsenal. But also add a Jumpin minnow. At the very least it will make a nice reference in what the most successful action looks like.

Edited by fishing bum wannabe

TRy rotating the nose loop 180 degrees when u test it, if that's possible, esp. if it is too bobby rocking up/rising out of the water and bouncing. That nose loop looks pretty low just thinking

On 7/13/2021 at 3:21 AM, TopStriperAngler said:

TRy rotating the nose loop 180 degrees when u test it, if that's possible, esp. if it is too bobby rocking up/rising out of the water and bouncing. That nose loop looks pretty low just thinking

took it for a test swim and it worked perfect .....walked the dog easily.....cast well to ....but it looks like a turd ....I will try another  

13 mins ago, madcaster said:

took it for a test swim and it worked perfect .....walked the dog easily.....cast well to ....but it looks like a turd ....I will try another  

Success! Spray paint it white or flo green good to go.