jeffapeikin

Spinning rod for Port St. Lucie

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Hello, my father is moving to Florida and I would like to outfit our family for fishing along the River and surrounding areas. 
we will eventually have a boat , but it won’t be devoted to fishing. The property has a slip along the port street lucie river, bridge in close proximity . 

can anyone give me some ideas what Isize fish we will encounter and possibly throw me some outfits that will handle these types of fish. 

also, I would like to be able to have a set up for tarpon and maybe another for snook , and flounder. Totally unfamiliar with redfish. 

also, a good pompano setup. 

blacktip .

thank you in advance and we will down in the fall. Moving from pa. 

jeff 

I have friends that live there and I fish a little whenever I visit. I fish just artificial baits while there and don’t do that great but the locals with the cast nets fishing live baits do better. Snook is mostly what people are after. A 7’ or 7’-6” inshore rod is all you need for that type of fishing. 

17 hours ago, z-man said:

I have friends that live there and I fish a little whenever I visit. I fish just artificial baits while there and don’t do that great but the locals with the cast nets fishing live baits do better. Snook is mostly what people are after. A 7’ or 7’-6” inshore rod is all you need for that type of fishing. 

Thank you 

I had a nice long tussle with an estimated 36-40”but lost hook when grabbing the leader. The dock r bed down the 30 lb suffix mono or possibly the fish broke it. Pic attached of leader. That’s wear the jig used to be. 

822BD2AB-7DD5-4FC4-874C-62EC544447DF.jpeg

On 10/20/2021 at 7:28 AM, jeffapeikin said:

I had a nice long tussle with an estimated 36-40”but lost hook when grabbing the leader. The dock r bed down the 30 lb suffix mono or possibly the fish broke it. Pic attached of leader. That’s wear the jig used to be. 

Right after I moved to SWFL I hooked a dock fish about that size and it wore through 40lb ande in 2 head shakes. Felt it surge twice after ramming hookset and broke off. I bought a spool of 80 the next day. 60-80lb is a lot safer. You'll still get bites.

trout & river pompano 7' light action, 15-20 braid, 20# fluorocarbon leader ( and red drum) 

snook (tarpon) 7 1/2-8' medium or medium heavy 30-50# braid, 40-60# fluorocarbon leader.

pompano ocean, 10-12# surf rod, 6500 minimum size reel, 15# mono with a high-low croaker rig, 2-4 oz pyramid or sputnik sinker

Watch for seminars by Paul Sperco, tons of good info

On 10/29/2021 at 7:56 AM, RedGreen said:

Right after I moved to SWFL I hooked a dock fish about that size and it wore through 40lb ande in 2 head shakes. Felt it surge twice after ramming hookset and broke off. I bought a spool of 80 the next day. 60-80lb is a lot safer. You'll still get bites.

Cool!!

On 10/29/2021 at 7:56 AM, RedGreen said:

Just rereading this again. That’s wild. I got the fish in and was having problem finding a landing area , but the fish was done. A net would have been great. What a fight, it was night but the Splashes heard and the pull were fairly epic for me. Thanks for the advice on bigger leader. I’m headed back next week. 

Headed back down for revenge. Got some of my fave plastics that arrived quickly from bass pro . Should have focused more on 3/8 . Really like the z-man trout eye in 1/4.  Anything they are particularly keyed in n. Back in October they looked to be on large mullet or lady fish. 

Haven’t caught anything. Saw someone catch some croaker , amd had a follow under the dock. While doing a figure 8 like a musky fisherman would do. Think it might have been a redfish but Not sure they are around docks . Fish was nothing too huge maybe a 18-25 “ fish.