steveo905

Help with 2020 Ram 1500 front rod rack

12 posts in this topic

I have a 2020 Ram 1500 with a standard bumper set up. (no tow hooks).  On previous vehicles I have found ways modify and attach a 4 rod rack. The only possible attachment point I see, would be where the license plate mounts to the bumper. Is that sturdy enough to support the rack and rods at highway speeds? The bumper is metal, but doesn't seem very thick.

Thanks!

To mount in  the front will require fabrication to make it work. A license  plate holder may hold up to high way speed but will fail off road. Never liked going under trees with one.

You might be better off with a roof or bed rack.

When I was in the market for a new truck, I looked at pickups with a cap, but they did not meet my height (or lack of) criteria, since they would not fit into my alarmed garage.  But in my research I di stumble upon TRACRAC CAPRAC TOPPER RACK, which might meet your need for mounting some kind of rod rack, like a Rac-a-Rod,  Picture attached.

19e522bf76b6f989696a0f6c9e521eee.webp

On 7/10/2021 at 11:24 AM, steveo905 said:

I have a 2020 Ram 1500 with a standard bumper set up. (no tow hooks).  On previous vehicles I have found ways modify and attach a 4 rod rack. The only possible attachment point I see, would be where the license plate mounts to the bumper. Is that sturdy enough to support the rack and rods at highway speeds? The bumper is metal, but doesn't seem very thick.

Thanks!

You could always back it with a piece of marine grade plywood. I would consider using bolts and nuts with locking threats 

I was kind of thinking the same thing. Support the back and front of bumper with wood or metal, and then mount using bolts and lock nuts. Maybe some rubber gasket to protect bumper finish?