Exocett 10 weight surf? What line works?

Rate this topic

yarddog59

I've moved up to an Exocett 11.2 ten weight surf rod which is marketed for overhead two handed casting in the surf. 

Fly line confusion along with technique, are now aligned like the moon and the stars, being new to two hand overhead casting and the plethora of fly lines available. 

I fish the swells, snot and currents most surfers seek at the Jersey Shore from Sandy Hook to Barnegate inlet and have had success with a 9 foot Loomis ten weight and Teeny 400 grain 24 foot sink line and Rio Coastal Quickshooter XP. 

I felt it was time to go nuclear.

Looking to see what works in floating, sinking and intermediate for this new endeavor. Thanks

14 mins ago, Killiefish said:

Call T&T for recommended lines.  Or: PM The Graveyard Shift here who owns and fishes that specific rod.

I'm going to throw what I have already and research where the sand meets the water while waiting to hear from those who know!

That post fro TGS is also, IMO, one of the most generous and informative posts I have ever seen on this FF forum.  Which is why I remembered it.

The other thing is that TGS is throwing massive flies (both bulky and heavy).  He's not aiming for maximum distance and is fishing mostly at night.  The recommendation he makes for using heavier heads is largely based on needing to bomb large flies out at reasonable distances without the ability to use an extended backcast.

My recommendation to start with a 10wt Outbound (or Outbound Short) at ~425g is based on using relatively normal sized flies.  I have a rod that is I think similar to that rod, but much less expensive.  It can throw 550g+ but I prefer 400-450g on it when using normal sized flies, with the ability to implement a fully extended backcast, so you don't have to shoot as much of the running line.

7 hours ago, Killiefish said:

That post fro TGS is also, IMO, one of the most generous and informative posts I have ever seen on this FF forum.  Which is why I remembered it.

The other thing is that TGS is throwing massive flies (both bulky and heavy).  He's not aiming for maximum distance and is fishing mostly at night.  The recommendation he makes for using heavier heads is largely based on needing to bomb large flies out at reasonable distances without the ability to use an extended backcast.

My recommendation to start with a 10wt Outbound (or Outbound Short) at ~425g is based on using relatively normal sized flies.  I have a rod that is I think similar to that rod, but much less expensive.  It can throw 550g+ but I prefer 400-450g on it when using normal sized flies, with the ability to implement a fully extended backcast, so you don't have to shoot as much of the running line.

I'm starting with the RW sinking 400 grain with a 30 foot head. Hopefully out with the outfit tomorrow!

Am having a lot of success with two hand overhead casting using Wulff Ambush Floating TT based on grain wt. a rod is designed for. I have several.
You can also pair it with a sink tip depending again on grain wt. I’ve experimented with trimming the tip to find an ideal loading point for the typical flies I cast.

I also like that the floating line stays out of the rocks better, although you mentioned preferring surf.

Winter is Coming! Get to the Beach!

• 1 year later...
On 7/10/2021 at 9:25 AM, yarddog59 said:

I've moved up to an Exocett 11.2 ten weight surf rod which is marketed for overhead two handed casting in the surf. 

Fly line confusion along with technique, are now aligned like the moon and the stars, being new to two hand overhead casting and the plethora of fly lines available. 

I fish the swells, snot and currents most surfers seek at the Jersey Shore from Sandy Hook to Barnegate inlet and have had success with a 9 foot Loomis ten weight and Teeny 400 grain 24 foot sink line and Rio Coastal Quickshooter XP. 

I felt it was time to go nuclear.

Looking to see what works in floating, sinking and intermediate for this new endeavor. Thanks

YardDog, I know this is an older post. Interested in a similar set-up. What did you end up going with? 

I am going with the Wulff Ambush line to. Not quite what I am looking for but at 575 grains the head is 30 feet not far off ideal. If it will handle a versi tip or poly leader and I suspect it will then my beach fishing needs apart from very fast and deep inlets are covered. The 550grain is 28.5 feet head length.

Eureka!

Mike

I have been using this integrated” Rio line  with a Mow T-11 tip. 
I use this rod and line in the back bay.
I came to the conclusion it’s not an out front rod.

If they made this rod 13 ft with heavier specs I certainly would have one for out front. 

I welcome criticism. 

IMG_5244.jpeg

IMG_5245.jpeg

@reel em in,

You have identified the conundrum I am facing...since I was considering this rod more for out front fishing and less for bay side stuff...since I feel the bay stuff is covered by my other 9-foot 9 and 10 wt setups.

I know you mentioned the length (and specs) being a factor in why you feel it is not optimally suited for out front stuff...can you elaborate?

Do you feel undergunned?

Is it not able to punch through the heavier winds?

Thanks for any more insight!

3 hours ago, Mike Oliver said:

I am going with the Wulff Ambush line to. Not quite what I am looking for but at 575 grains the head is 30 feet not far off ideal. If it will handle a versi tip or poly leader and I suspect it will then my beach fishing needs apart from very fast and deep inlets are covered. The 550grain is 28.5 feet head length.

Eureka!

Mike

LOL, Mike,  I've been touting the advantages of the Ambush, which is an integrated line, and available in massive grain weights (>550).  You can easily add between 5ft and 12ft polyleaders, or versi-tip.  My suggestion is to not have the tip weight more than 20-25% of the head on these.  So in your case, ~10ft of T-14, or a medium weight, 10ft (~120-140g) MOW or iMow.  The leader can be whatever length you want.  I use mostly 4ft to 8ft of mono after the tip.  Shorter for medium to large size, heavier flies.  I have not used longer (15ft) Rio versileaders on it.  Most polys and versileaders are too light for this line (in 575g or above esp.).  I do use polys with lighter weights of the Ambush - 365g to 380g Ambush can handle 10-12ft Airflo steelhead/saltwater polys, which weigh less than 85g, as long as you use a longer leader.

Disadvantages:  The head is super thick, can be a bear to move through the guides on the set up, and the running line a bit thin diameter.  It is a supple running line.  Maybe more supple than one might want in salt (?).  You are correct that the 525-600g ones are pretty long heads ~  27.5-30ft.

Advantages: very versatile to use with sink or mow/imow tips, no bulky weld at the join like some of the older Airflo lines.  Bombs.

For the post above,Youth and brawn will never overtake age and tenacity…lol lol lol…. Old timers might say to put a heavier line on that ten weight ..some sort of 12 wt may be better in the wind …. I know ,your over loading a rod but if the rod can handle it give it a shot … it’s only money