Scott Charlton

Hitting up haddock

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Well the stripers are not cooperating so tomorrow I’m hitting up Eastmans.  Anyone else going to be there?  Went clamming for bait today, the surf kicked me out of the ocean after 10 minutes.  Looks like I’ll be jigging.

Scott, if you have not already, give Berkley Gulp Alive a try. It must be Gulp "Alive" though as it makes a huge difference. I have often found this to out-fish clams most of the time and can reuse to catch many fish on a single bait and survives the bait thieves. Nothing beats good fresh clams for sure but what they keep on the boats is a crapshoot and often been refroze / thawed more than once. Likewise, what is at the bait shops can vary. 

Small frozen shrimp from market basket can also be good. Look for sales on it and sometimes cheaper than buying clams and can stay on the hook better. 

Good luck!

12 mins ago, Scott Charlton said:

Whoa…tell me more about this gulp alive of which you speak?

Meh, just a regular gulp will work. Don't Eastman provide clams??

They do squid or clams but the bait is frozen and I like using fresh, although honestly does it make a difference?  I think so but I’ve never won the pot…

It’s July and last I heard the dogs had started to move in anything with a strong scent will be an instant dogfish if they are around, jig with teaser defeats dogs. If dogs are not a factor strip of  fresh mackerel will out fish old clams!

2 hours ago, oldwes said:

If dogs are not a factor strip of  fresh mackerel will out fish old clams!

I heard that AND that pogy strips do well too...

Posted (edited) · Report post

Regarding the Gulp Alive, you can get it at many places and will come in a liquid that you can rejuvenate and restore used baits in.  It also comes with some sticker shock but it does work and more durable and with a better shelf life than any fresh or frozen bait. Look for it on sale if possible to take the sting off. If you want to take your chances with the non-alive version, go right ahead but FME, it is nowhere near as effective for a scent bait. It is likely as effective as a teaser when moving but then any soft plastic will perform this task. I like the grubs with tails and the shrimp shaped ones and also use the blood worm version. For flounder and trolling a tube and worm the worm version works good and the ticker stuff for groundfish. To me, a scent bait is one that needs no movement to solicit a bite. 

Haddock have a pretty good sense of smell. Jigs will get them but will also get cod. Have also lost a lot of jigs to bluesharks when they are around.

Been a while since I have been but outfits like Eastmans but recall that they can keep some rank bait on hand. A friend that fished with them a lot in recent years always brought his own bait as he reported theirs often being spoiled and not staying on the hook very well. 

Edited by NHAngler