Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
saltygator

New 2021 Shimano Sustain FJ

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

There’s a new 2021 Shimano Sustain FJ coming out. Cant find much on it yet, just seen pics on tackle warehouse website. It looks awesome. 

I wonder if it’ll be worth buying or if you might as well buy the twin power FD. Looks like sizes are 2500-5000, retail $299-309 

025737A4-1B45-4C14-8FD0-425B9E166438.jpeg

here is the description from TW:

“Strong, yet sensitive” are not words that typically describe an aesthetic showstopper, but they do illustrate the Shimano Sustain FJ Spinning Reel. Built to conquer the toughest inshore and freshwater species, the Shimano Sustain FJ Spinning Reel is the toughest in the MGL reel family and crafted with an MagnumLite (MGL) rotor for light start-up rotation and faster hooksets with increased sensitivity.

Housed in a feathery, yet rugged aluminum HAGANE body, the Shimano Sustain FJ Spinning Reel experiences minimal reel flex when taming hard-fighting fish. Lighter than its predecessors, the Shimano Sustain FJ Spinning Reel features Long Stroke Spool to provide anglers with improved casting distance. MicroModule II gearing combined with Shimano’s HAGANE Gear and SilentDrive technology offers anglers the smoothest possible reeling experience. Sure to turn the head of big fish and fellow anglers alike, the Shimano Sustain FJ Spinning Reels are packed with Shimano technologies and premium components that guarantee seamless operation in any conditions.

Features:

-MagnumLite (MGL) Spool
-HAGANE Gear
-MicroModule
-X-ship
-HAGANE Body
-Ci4+ 
-MagnumLite Rotor
-Long Stroke Spool
-SilentDrive
-G-Free Body
-Propulsion Line Management
-Rigid Support Drag
-One-Piece Bail
-S A-RB
-Cross Carbon Drag
-X-Protect 

Edited by saltygator

This will be irrelevant in their line up....

Go Stradic, Vanford or TP XD.... Or better yet, Vanquish!

Edited by Inshore

13 hours ago, Inshore said:

This will be irrelevant in their line up....

Go Stradic, Vanford or TP XD.... Or better yet, Vanquish!

Really? 

Alu frame and mgl rotor /spool. 

100 cheaper than Twinpower. 

Makes more sense than the last Gen..... That's for sure 

I still use, and like very like my 2 FG versions of the sustain - I thought the last generation was a step down from the FG...Not just because the last generation was literally cheaper than the FG version...but the few times I handled one, it felt cheap

4 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

Really? 

Alu frame and mgl rotor /spool. 

100 cheaper than Twinpower. 

Makes more sense than the last Gen..... That's for sure 

I hear ya on this but I look at it this way, go towards the top end or stay towards the bottom of the line. As discussed in the Exsence thread, this could be one of those “sleepers” and a $150 win over the XD (Al body MGL rotor) or a mid range meh...

Regardless either way, I’ll throw my extra $150 at a Vanquish every time. Although, the Complex XR has really piqued my interest for a low line capacity FW reel....

Edited by Inshore

5 mins ago, Inshore said:

I hear ya on this but I look at it this way, go towards the top end or stay towards the bottom of the line. As was discussed in the Exsence thread, this could be one of those “sleepers” and a $150 win over the XD (Al body MGL rotor) or a mid range meh...

Regardless either way, I’ll throw my extra $150 at a Vanquish every time. Although, the Complex XR has really piqued my interest for a low line capacity FW reel....

I think the stradic is just so good.  Almost how the BG hosed daiwa....but they did it "right"...they made virtually all their reels up to the certate out of fancy plastic.

Everything beyond stradic until Magnesium framed bits.....is seemingly a few lego parts (ball bearings) and coatings....At least with the new Sustain you get a coating of sorts on the spool lip and the weight reduction in the rotor.  And you can't forget about the sweet looks......Pride of ownership is one of the biggest selling factors in that price range.

A MGL rotored Saragosa or a Ci4 everything gosa would be world beating.  

50 mins ago, albacized said:

I still use, and like very like my 2 FG versions of the sustain - I thought the last generation was a step down from the FG...Not just because the last generation was literally cheaper than the FG version...but the few times I handled one, it felt cheap

Same....Stradic FL felt better to me at least

3 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

Stradic FL felt better to me at least

It would, being a newer chassis and model over the Sustain FI by 2 years?

Sustain FI was launched in 2017 which was based on the now defunct Stradic FK launched in 2015

Historically (at least after 2012) the Sustain followed the Stradic.

I'm no soothesayer, but I was expecting either a new Sustain this year or the model to be dropped altogther.

This new Sustain looks pretty. And the $100 saving over a TP as you mentioned....

Even if it is just the TiN coating on the spool lip and the MgL rotor over the Stradic it has me interested.

Shimano does so well with there reels they don’t need to change much. People will continue to buy them as long as there smooth as butter. If Shimano could put something out that has the internals of a Shimano and ridged feel of a VS on the outside that would be a game changer. My two favorite reels are a Stradic and Vs now can they have some babies?

I'd always opt for reel made in JPN than the ones in Malaysia. The bells and whistles can render TP as whatnot but it is still going to hold better over time than any Malaysia made reel. QC and tolerances are never listed in the specs.

Its a nice reel. I asked about it in a tackle shop and his response was or you can go with the Stradic FL. I got the sense that its very similar, at only $200. Sustain is better for SW in my opinion. 

16 hours ago, NJS said:

I'd always opt for reel made in JPN than the ones in Malaysia. The bells and whistles can render TP as whatnot but it is still going to hold better over time than any Malaysia made reel. QC and tolerances are never listed in the specs.

I’ve found this to be very true. I’ve never picked up a Japan made reel and thought something was off but I’ve had to return/exchange a few Stradics due to QC issues