Inshore

NEW St Croix Seage Surf Rod

Rate this topic

52 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, t_man7 said:

What’s the price point?

$210-$380. Looks like they have everything from mid-price up covered. The 15 year warranty is like catnip. How are you going to buy something else that competes when their competitors only have 1 year warranty? 

Posted (edited) · Report post

4 hours ago, Haycreekrambler said:

I'd be interested. If the 9' rods are 50/50 split, that would be a deal breaker for me. From the way I read the specs they are. Who is begging for 50/50 split rods? That's what I wanna know.

Based on the legend, the 9ft is 70/30.  And in the video it shows a 70/30 split rod, but doesn’t look to be 9ft.  I don’t see any reason for them to make the 9ft model 50/50 split.

Edited by t_man7

20 mins ago, t_man7 said:

Based on the legend, the 9ft is 70/30.  And in the video it shows a 70/30 split rod, but doesn’t look to be 9ft.  I don’t see any reason for them to make the 9ft model 50/50 split.

However, their recent models of surf rods (Avid, Mojo, Legend) were either one piece or 70/30. So the note stating that 'short' rods are 50/50 while longer rods are 70/30 is new territory. I think the Triumph is the only one that was 50/50, and that was a 50/50 split on all sizes of 2 pc rods

Edited by albacized

Made in Mexico,new version of the Mojo for mo $$ plus a great warranty?

Edited by olvart

5 hours ago, albacized said:

Yeah, I guess that would be the question - is the 9' rod a 'short' (which will be 50/50) or 'long (60/40 or 70/30)' rod

Upon a second read, it looks like the '50/50 reference is referring to the 7 and 8 foot rods

21 mins ago, albacized said:

Upon a second read, it looks like the '50/50 reference is referring to the 7 and 8 foot rods

The 7 and 8 foot rods are 1 pc according to the specs I saw.

29 mins ago, TheSuperApe said:

Thats what I took from it as well 

The 15 yr warranty would be the clincher for me. But, i won't fish a 50/50 split. I own a bunch of St. Croix rods. Alot of my fw stuff as well as 2 legend's. But, I like the way the newer technology rods I've been using handle. If the 9's are 60/40 split I'd seriously consider buying one.

6 hours ago, Dah seee said:

This just sounds like a beefed up Mojo Surf. Same SCII blank but with added ART.

Right on, same numbers as the mojo, built in Mexico. Little bit of an upgrade.

Will have to take a look at rod geeks to see if the blanks are available but doubt St. Croix will do that straight away to make $ off the new marketing.

27 mins ago, LowEnd said:

Right on, same numbers as the mojo, built in Mexico. Little bit of an upgrade.

Will have to take a look at rod geeks to see if the blanks are available but doubt St. Croix will do that straight away to make $ off the new marketing.

You do know that Rod Geeks and St Croix are the same company?

1 hour ago, TheSuperApe said:

I see what you mean - if that's true, then the smallest '2 pc' rods would be the 9 and 10 foot rods. However, my prior post was based on this excerpt:

” Teach says. “Our new 7’ medium-light and medium power rods and 8’ medium power model deliver those requested light-lure-weight blanks so anglers can match rods to the conditions and the predominant species. These smaller two-piece models also give anglers the 50/50 splits they requested,” Teach adds.

But with that said, the actual spec chart indicates what you are saying is true

Edited by albacized

19 hours ago, t_man7 said:

Cork butt cap is only going to last a season if using the rod as a staff.  I’m excited to see how this compares to say the Lamiglas Carbon Surf, or ODM DNA.

I'm guessing St Croix designed this rod to compete directly with those rods. I see 3 different models in the 9' and the 10'6. Where they're going to win customers is with the word of mouth and a FIFTEEN YEAR warranty.

9 hours ago, Dah seee said:

This just sounds like a beefed up Mojo Surf. Same SCII blank but with added ART.

What wrong with that though. I like my 10'6 Mojo. I have both tops for it and if I didn't just score a Legend, it would still be my everyday rod. An improved Mojo is fine with me. If they make a 9' 70/30 split I'm getting one.