prican1

Thoughts on retirement in another country

Rate this topic

160 posts in this topic

7 more years and I'm done... I want to enjoy my retirement fishing and duck hunting, I have a decent savings where I can live like a king in several other countries or comfortably here in the good'ol USA. Any info, experience or inside knowledge would be appreciated. First thing on the list is good medical, I don't want to be scene by some doctor in a mudhut  whose last patient was a goat... 

1 hour ago, giant basshole said:

Your just looking for some foreign chocha.

That is definitely on the list of things to do!!

costa gotten damn expensive....sw fla sounds like a good fit for hunting and fishing-cast and blast! if you haven't checked out fla sportsman mag ......lots of winter duck shoots.  

5 mins ago, bronson said:

costa gotten damn expensive....sw fla sounds like a good fit for hunting and fishing-cast and blast! if you haven't checked out fla sportsman mag ......lots of winter duck shoots.  

Panama is back on the screen; great ex-pat community and the mountains are still very affordable.  Hondo - nope.  Costa - yes, but gotten very expensive;  some islands it's OK.  South America looking good.  

1 min ago, bronson said:

Costa Rica costs have risen dramatically, could be that ship has sailed. I don't see how to get around the medical issue, means find something here. Coastal Maine? Too cold? Texas, Gulf Coast, a steam bath. Carolina's, both coastal areas are almost full. I'm staying put in coastal NJ, comfortable here and haven't found anywhere else I'd like to live. Been to a lot of places I like, but not to live.  

1 hour ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

Retirement soon for me but in this country. 

A good financial advisor is a must.

Great advice but in all reality your going to do what you want to do with your money no matter who tells you how you should spend it..

1 hour ago, olvart said:

Costa Rica hands down:howdy:

It rains alot there but many Americans do live there as well, tell me why?

1 hour ago, phishallways said:

Been considering this one myself.

Why are you considering Costa Rica? What's interesting to you overthere?

1 hour ago, Bunkerface said:

One thi g on the medical. A lot of other countries require cash in order to get any medical treatment

Well depending on any health issues you may have before retirement it should be affordable depending on the country, no?

I had a house built on the East Cape of Baja in 2014. Have been spending winter/spring down there the 3 of the last 4 years. The medical is very good in Cabo, although it's 2hrs from where I'm at. 

Costa Rica has probably the most stable Latin American govt.

Fishing on the pacific side is hard to beat.

I have a friend that went native down there about 20 years ago,a wealthy gringo.

Made his money in coffee.

A panga is all you need.

Its up to you:howdy:

It was never a thought but FYI Haiti is a no go! Their President just got a cap busted in his ass and he took a dirt nap...

14 mins ago, prican1 said:

Great advice but in all reality your going to do what you want to do with your money no matter who tells you how you should spend it..

It rains alot there but many Americans do live there as well, tell me why?

Why are you considering Costa Rica? What's interesting to you overthere?

Well depending on any health issues you may have before retirement it should be affordable depending on the country, no?

Not me,

I'm going with his plan on investing. 

I don't know where to invest. He did well with my father.

Only problem now at 80 he has too much Money. 

He retired at 55

Me.....56 ish