i_like_poppers

Book Recommendation for Boat Ownership

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Not sure if this would the right forum for this, so my apologies if it is not.

Grew up on boats, but like some at that age, I never appreciated some of the finer points of boat or engine maintenance. Does anyone have a good book recommendation on either? It's looking like we will be getting a small boat in the near future so I'd like to do some homework before. Any and all help is greatly appreciated, thank you.

Thanks, everyone for the recommendation! Chapman's is a great resource. If anyone has a book recommendation on engine M&R or general care tips for the boat, that'd be awesome.

6 hours ago, i_like_poppers said:

Thanks, everyone for the recommendation! Chapman's is a great resource. If anyone has a book recommendation on engine M&R or general care tips for the boat, that'd be awesome.

If you are going to do your own engine work it is worth it to get the factory manual from the manufacturer. 

20 hours ago, Kml said:

If you are going to do your own engine work it is worth it to get the factory manual from the manufacturer. 

And if you really want to do it right, see whether your local education system offers an adult ed course on outboard/gas inboard/diesel inboard (depending on what you have) mechanics.  You might be surprised to find that many do.

My grandfather dropped that big Chapman's book in my lap when I was a kid and said 'If you want to use any of my boats by yourself, read it and learn it'

Best thing he ever did

On 7/11/2021 at 6:29 AM, i_like_poppers said:

Get the shop manuals for your engines.